Backpacking for the first time!

Apr 14th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Backpacking for the first time!

Hi Guys,
So I'm planning a backpacking trip to Europe and need some help. Any tips on good hostels?? Budget managing or places that are awesome to see? I did some research, however I'm still kind of lost. Also if any one can suggest a good backpack? Thanks so much.
Apr 14th, 2007, 06:57 AM

The more specifics you provide the better answers you will get. "Europe" is not specific enough, can you even narrow it down to a region? What time of year? How long? What are your interests?
The length of your trip will determine the size of your backpack. It's best to try them on to see what works for you.
Apr 14th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Can I comment on the back pack. Don't go to big as it gets v heavy. I spent 18 months living out of a backpack in the Pacific and I was advised to go smaller than I wanted and it was the best advice. You tend to wear the same stuff on the top of the pile and it's easy to rinse out clothes. don't go too mad on shoes as they are heavy. Remember you have to lug this thing around with you and run for transport etc etc. Mine was Eagle Creek and it had a small backpack zipped onto the big pack which was a great day pack. I still use the day pack 10 yrs later. Think quality as you'll have it for yrs to come.
Apr 14th, 2007, 07:28 AM
MaureenB

There are a few websites to find hostels, starting with hostels.com. Or Google it for more sites. I know students in Italy found nice little places that way. But I did hear a horror story about really disgusting bedding, so I'd bring some sort of packable bed sheet or bed bag and pillowcase.

You might also try STATravel.com, which specializes in student travel. They always have lots of tips and outings. We bought airfare from them for Italy and back, and it was a good price, also with the easiest change policy we have seen.

When are you going? What countries are you interested in? How long will you stay?

Have fun. Do lots of planning. Pack light! Wear good shoes. Get a good backpack that fits you well.
>-

Apr 14th, 2007, 08:11 AM

"Any tips on good hostels??" There are hundreds - so w/o knowing which cities or at least which countries it is pretty difficult to offer recs.

How long is your trip?
When?
Have you narrowed it down at all which places you are visiting?
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Well I'm going to Spain in June to study abroad, then backpacking in August, I'm planning on visiting, Italy, Greece, France and maybe England.
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Great, now that we have some specifics you'll get lots of help. August is high season for travel, so if I were you, I would start researching now and plan on going to places that are not so popular (like northern Greece instead of Santorini). That may sound bizarre--and it totally depends on your preferences, but I would rather experience a place than experience throngs of people. You'll experience this in Spain before you set out. Just my 2 cents!
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:30 AM

It is easier to pull your stuff in a wheeled bag than to haul it on your back. Some kids look like pack animals.

Buy the Lonely Planet book "Europe on a Shoestring." It is an encyclopedia for budget travel in Europe. I used it last year and it saved me a lot of time and money. Time is actually your most precious commodity when you are traveling.

Apr 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM

Hi there! I am backpacking for the first time too and I have been doing a lot of reseach before I go. I like the "Let's Go" series of travel books. They focus on budget travel and give lots of info about free things in each city. And hostelworld.com has lots of reviews of hostels in each city you are travelling to.

Hope this helps!