Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Backpack v crossbody handbag when exploring Lisbon, Barcelona, Madrid

Old Apr 6th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a Longchamp Le Pliage backpack which is fabulous. http://en.longchamp.com/en/handbags/...ckpack-1699089 It's spacious and light and I love it.
I'm going to Spain and Portugal in May/June and was wondering if I should leave my backpack at home and take a cross body bag instead for safety? Any opinions?

I was also wondering if there are any recommendation for a lightweight expandable rolling backpack carry-0o luggage? I'm considering going carry-on only on this trip. The problem is that all the carry-on luggage weights around the 3-4kg and the weight limit for carry-on is 7kgs. That doesn't leave much room for packing....
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 07:35 PM

IMO cross-body is better than backpack, much as I love the lightweight Longchamp bags,

Check Eagle Creek for carry-ons that are light-weight. My bag (and I do carry-on only, at least going over) is a BRIC bag, very light weight and small enough for european carriers.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 07:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a longchamp convertible backpack . . . which I never use while traveling. I want my 'stuff' in front of me on the Metro, in stations, etc. I have four different convertible cross body/shoulder bags (from expensive to really modest - Gucci, Marc Jacobs, Vince Camuto and le Sport sac) and I take one of them on every trip. They are all shoulder bags that quickly convert to cross body and are my go-to travel bags.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 07:50 PM
jft

What a gorgeous longchamps knapsack!I am in agreement with annw re: cross-body bags.I always travel with a cross body purse usually my Roots leather one with fairly thick staps which I wear with the compartments towards my body. We also pack a Eddie Bauer very lightweight small nylon daypack which folds into nothing for sweaters, guidebooks etc.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 08:39 PM

Here is a link to a 21.9" carry on that weighs 1.63 Kilos. IT has a wide range of ultra light luggage.

http://www.amazon.com/Luggage-Worlds...ghtest+luggage

That backpack is an attention grabber and shouts valuable stuff inside. Like jft, we also use the Eddie Bauer daypacks. They hold lots of stuff, weigh next to nothing and take up less room empty than a pair of socks. They are pretty inexpensive too.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I appreciate the links. I'll look into the carry-on you've recommended basingstoke2.
I will take a Kathmandu folding backpack for when I am going on hikes. But the Longchamp bag will stay home.
Janisj I took my Rebecca Minkoff Julian backpack on a recent trip to London and Berlin. It was so functional and I felt it was secure. Unfortunately it was leather and quite heavy. That's why I love the Longchamp. It so light!
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 07:09 AM

I don't think that Longchamps bag is so bad, if you love it, you can use it for things that aren' valuable. I gather you do intend to use it for valuables, though, right? Not sure what you plan to have in it, but you could use it for a wrap, water bottle, maps, etc. Stuff other than money/CCs.

I don't typically use backpacks when walking around cities anywhere, but if I do (sometimes for a day trip when I have more "stuff"), I just carry it differently when on metro, etc. NO reason you couldn't do that, you don't have to leave it on your back in such places. But if you intend to put valuables in it and walk around that way a lot in highly touristed areas, that probably isn't a good idea.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 07:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>It was so functional and I felt it was secure
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 08:33 AM

I second the rec for IT luggage. Unbelievably light.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 04:47 PM

I wore a cross bag purse all through Spain and never had any trouble. Easy enough to hold on to it in crowds. Wouldn't recommend a backpack, especially in the cities.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 05:31 PM

I would definitely do cross-body. Hands down.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Yes I think I will take my black LeSportsac cross body bag. It's large enough for essentials and small enough for nights out.
Still considering the carry on only option. Lots of pros and cons....