Backpack storage!

May 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Backpack storage!

I am travelling to Italy in a few days. I have two questions

1)Is it safe to leave my backpack in hostels? What if there is no storage available?

2)Is it alright to walk around with my whole backpack in case I cannot find a place to store it for the day?

Thank you.
May 3rd, 2007, 11:50 AM

I would suggest you post over this request also over on the ThornTree boards on LonelyPlanet.com My experience on here, is that most of us aren't hostel folks.

Have a great trip!
May 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM

Don't know about hostels, but for other times in Italy a good storage option is the baggage deposit at train stations. They are secure and charge a reasonable fee.
May 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM

most hostels have luggage lockers and you should use them.

If going by train leave your large backpack in the train station left luggage - in most Italian stations and seeminly all large ones and just take to the hostel a daypack with your necessities in it.

I haven't hosteled in years but once did so extensively and i always left my backpack on the bed - didn't have lockers then like i understand they do now but left no valuable in it. Never had the pack or anything taken but in group situations take precautions.
May 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM

As above, get on over to The Thorn Tree message board at Lonely Planet's website. They have all the answers you need for backpacking and hosteling.

Some people carry a cable lock so you can lock the backpack to the bed. Some use padlocks. Some even an entire mesh contraption for the backpack. But most people, not these things.

No, you definitely don't want to have your backpack on your back every day for touring Europe!! That part I'm fairly certain of.
;-)
May 3rd, 2007, 03:28 PM

Depending upon where you are, you might be able to check it at a museum, like at the Vatican, for instance, and pick it up later.
May 5th, 2007, 10:25 AM

But if it's really a full-sized backpack (i.e., all your stuff) I don't think you want to be hauling it around a city with you (even if it can be checked at a museum).