Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How secure are train station left luggage facilities?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:08 PM
Allison

Hello - I am going to be traveling throughout Italy this fall (mid-September through mid-December) and would like to know how trustworthy the left luggage facilities at the train stations are. I need to travel with a notebook computer and I am thinking that it would be nice if I could check it at left luggage in cities where I have brief stops. (I carry it in a backpack that does not look like it is holding a computer). I know I'm insane to bring it with me but I have school work that I will need to do on it while I'm there. I can lock the backpack shut. Has anyone heard of anyone having things stolen out of their bags while they were checked?<BR><BR>Thanks for any help you can give me!<BR>Allison

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:14 AM
Allison

Anyone?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:50 AM
GAC

I suspect that the reason you're not getting any replies to this posting is that no one wants to hazard an opinion that leaving such a valuable piece of equipment in a backpack at the left luggage office is such a good idea. As a general rule, left luggage is rarely lost or stolen, and I have used it several times for suitcases, but I would be queasy to entrust an expensive piece of electronics to a storage method that is not 100% safe.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:19 PM
Allison

Thanks for your response. The reason I was asking was because I don't feel so good about leaving my computer, either. I think I will try to find a cheap, secondhand ultraportable which I won't mind having keeping on my back during these stops. I only need it for word processing and for storing digital images. Also, that way, if it were to be stolen (in any circumstance), my travel insurance would cover the entire cost of the machine.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 02:57 AM
Ben Haines

<BR><BR>Sorry I cannot help on Italy as I am seldom there. But in all countries from Poland via Hungary and Bulgaria to Turkey I leave my suitcase in left luggage lockers and left luggage offices without a qualm: the contain most credit cards, and spare cash, and often my passport. I travelled by rail a little most years until 1992, and a good deal after that, and nothing was ever stolen, nor even tampered with. The worst that happened was one evening when the lock mechanism failed to open in my locker, and I had to ask luggage office staff to open it. They (rightly) fetched a policeman who kept my passport in his pocket, bade me describe the case, and later stood while I opened it and pulled out my note on my travel plans with my name at the top. I do not think Italian staff would be any more lax: their job depends upon their probity. Nor is theft likely: lockers are in spaces that station police or security staff patrol at irregular intervals.<BR><BR>That I carry no laptop has no bearing: station staff (and thieves) do not know what is in my case.<BR><BR>Now night travel in Italy (and the Balkans) is a different kettle of fish. Train thieves look for people with luggage asleep in seats cars. No problem: for a little extra I take a couchette or a sleeper, where I can lock the door and use the fixed security chain.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Allison

Thanks Ben! Your information is very helpful to me. It is reassuring to know that you feel good about left luggage security. Also, I will definitely avoid overnight trains unless I can take a couchette or sleeper.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Allison