Train Station Storage

Aug 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Train Station Storage

I promised that I wouldn't ask any more questions, but I lied.

Since I'm traveling without my DH, I decided to check my large suitcase when possible. I am planning on taking a bus from the Venice airport to the Mestre station and checking my large suitcase there. Do you actually rent a locker there or do they have a room where they check your luggage? If it is a locker, will it hold a 28" suitcase? I will check with them before checking anything about them being open when we come back through. I'd hate to have to sit around waiting for them to open.

I plan on doing the same thing again in LaSpezia.

Lisa
Aug 21st, 2006, 07:57 PM

I can't answer the question of room v. locker, but I can tell you there is baggage storage at La Spezia Centrale but not at La Spezia Migliarina. But I'm curious, why are you storing your suitcase until you "come back through"? Where are you going without your luggage?
Aug 21st, 2006, 09:19 PM

And any reason why are you using a 28 inch bag -- especially if you are travelling alone and won't have help?

That large/heavy a suitcase wiil be Hell dragging on/off the trains and on public transport.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:41 AM

Most Italian stations had manual left luggage offices, not lockers. Some stations had modern lockers, but these were taken out of use after the terrorist attacks in the US. At the biggest stations, left luggage offices are open from early morning till late at night, or even for 24 hours, but hours are more limited in smaller stations.
As Janis has said, a large suitcase really isn't very sensible.
Aug 25th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

I shopped many times for luggage. I wanted to be sure to have enough room. Maybe I didn't need one that large, but the only other size I could find was a 25 inch piece and it looked so much smaller. I had originally planned on taking only enough clothes for half the trip and washing, but out itinerary is so full that my travel companion didn't want to take time out for a laundry. It's also our first time traveling so even though everyone says you can pack lighter, you don't always believe it until you've gone.

Thanks for your replies.
Aug 25th, 2006, 03:33 PM

It sounds like the 28" suitcase is a new purchase. If it's returnable, I encourage you to take it back and exchange it for something smaller. You'll want to have a daypack with one change of clothes on the plane and for carrying essentials like a jacket and camera during the day. Two smaller pieces are much easier to handle than one large one, especially since you can wear the daypack. Since your companion doesn't want to take time to stop at a laundromat, buy a travel clotheline and wash clothes in the sink in your hotel room.
Aug 25th, 2006, 04:06 PM

That suitcase will be awfully hard to deal with imo. Right from the start think of lifting it for the airline counter, getting it off the airport baggage carousels, etc.

My advise is to pack that suitcase asap and weigh it on your bathroom scale. See if you can actually manage it yourself. I'm guessing not.

One way to pack/travel lighter is to get over the idea you need a fresh outfit everyday. For outer wear, make choices that can be worn several times without washing. Pick a few items that can be washed out in the sink using hotel shampoo and will dry overnight.

I'm not sure why you want to find out for yourself that packing light is a good idea, by doing the opposite -lol!
Aug 25th, 2006, 07:00 PM

A 25 incher is still way larger than I am happy schlepping about. A 25 inch bag certainly isn't small - though in comparison to a 28 incher it would look that way. IMHO, if you can take the 28 back, you should. Buy the 25 (or smaller - but sounds like that would be a hard sell in this case)

There is nothing that says you must travel light - but you do have to be able to carry your luggage everywhere w/o assistance, on/off trains, up/down stairs etc.

Many of us manage 3, 4, 6 week trips w/ just a 21 inch bag so you will be fine w/ a 25 incher . . . .
Sep 12th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

I survived with my large luggage. Checking it at Venice and La Spezia was very helpful. The 25" piece turned into a 26" piece. It didn't cause me any problems. The problems I had were with my backpack. It was loaded with four days of clothes and toiletries. I chose the one without wheels because I wanted it to be as light as possible. I already had another bag (a laptop sized bag) that had to ride on my 26" wheeled piece (full of medical equipment that was heavy). That was the biggest mistake I made since I checked the rolling piece. If the backpack had had wheels, I wouldn't have been forced to wear it on my back. This was only a problem on our traveling days and there were four of them out of fourteen.

I did have extra room in my 26" piece. I could have made due with one smaller and probably could have used my 21" piece (I'll never take skirts again. Somehow I got the impression that you had to wear a skirt to get into the churches. I don't know where that insane idea came from).

What would have helped my back is if I didn't have to carry my medical equipment with me. Then I could have stacked my backpack on my wheeled luggage and not checked anything at the train stations. But, I can't do anything about that except purchase the travel-size of medical equipment, which isn't cheap. If I plan on doing any more traveling I may do so.

I didn't carry the backpack as a day bag. I used a purse that I could wear sling-style. It had a flap that closed and things were always secured under my arm. It was big enough to carry maps, my camera and a bottle of water. I kept it pretty empty during the day so it would be light. It worked out great for me.
Sep 12th, 2006, 04:32 AM

"...full of medical equipment which was heavy..."

WOW! There is definitely a story here but unfortunately we probably will never hear it..or will we?

Did you do any laundry while you were there? I actually believe, perhaps stupidly, that the amount of laundry one is willing to do is directly proportional to the size of suitcases required.

Oh, well, I guess we'll juts have to and have to continue suffering through the chapstik withdrawal and will I really look younger if I drink lemoncello? posts.
Sep 12th, 2006, 04:34 AM

Sorry.,.should have said "inversely proportional"..now, where's that bottle of lemoncello?
Sep 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

To do laundry or not....that's the question. I definitely agree that the willingness to do laudry will directly affect the size of the suitcase.

On my next trip, I will probably do some laundry. I also won't worry so much about being wrinkled. I wasn't very wrinkled on this trip and still received a lot of glances that made me wonder if I had something on my face or a rip in my clothes. My friend assured me that I didn't look "funny" and she didn't either. The funny looks didn't bother me at all. So, why not be a little wrinkled and pack less!

I know my tennis shoes and socks with skirts was getting attention. I couldn't believe those Italian women in their heels walking down the pathway to the Abbey south of Siena. It was Sunday morning and they were having church services while we were there. There I was in my tennies and skirt. At least I was comfortable and could walk for days.

Search this Thread