B & B Deposit in £

Search

B & B Deposit in £

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B & B Deposit in £

What would be the simplest way to provide a lodging deposit to a B & B? My husband and I have made reservations for a place in Tenterden, Kent, that does not take credit cards, but asked for a £25.00 deposit instead. We could certainly send a check, but it would be drawn on a US bank in US $.

Any suggestions?

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:01 PM
ira

Hi Lois,

Ask your B&B if they would take a check in dollars at the current equivalent of 35GBP (the extra is for the cost of cashing the check). You can then give them cash upon arrival.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:25 PM

Hello:

Here's what worked for us. I ask the B&B if they would be willing to accept a check drawn on our American bank at the current exchange rate and if they wished they could immediately cash at their English bank or they could hold as a security deposit. Check takes about 2 weeks to clear. Upon our arrival at the B&B we were returned our deposit check and we immediately paid in cash. It was clearly understood that in the event we were a no show then the B&B could still go ahead and cash the deposit check.

Every B&B that we have stayed with that took only cash was happy with this arrangement and always held our check which we always tore up upon arrival and paid in cash.

I always promptly mailed the deposit check and again suggested that they should certainly go ahead and deposit the check if they were more comfortable with that arrangement.

I always received a e-mail upon receipt of the deposit check and often a little note saying something like holding your check and looking forward to meeting you.

Someone else on this board suggested going to your US bank and buying a traveller's check for the 25 GBP. I assume they still sell them. We used them years ago but of course no longer bother.

Sandy
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:34 PM

I have several times done what ira and SandyBrit advise. The B&B almost always holds the $ check until our arrival when we pay the full tabe in £ cash.

Only once has the B&B actually cashed the check ahead of time - but that was fine w/ me.

a $ check is enough insurance for the B&B since they can cash it if you don't show up.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:58 AM

It is not a Traveller's Check that you get but a Bank Draft in pounds. The draft is made out to the B&B, the only problem has to do with the fee that the bank will charge, which could be as high as $25. So the best would be to check if they would take your check as stated in the previous posts.