Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Other options in response to B&B request for deposit by "bank transfer"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A B&B I'm trying to make a reservation at doesn't take credit cards and has asked for a deposit by bank transfer (wire transfer). My bank charges for the transfer - basically half of the amount I have to deposti!

Other than an international bank draft (which will take a while to get to the B&B), are there other options I could offer to the B&B owner?
Thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Look into http://www.xe.com/fx/ which does require setting up an account with all the security and personal information of a bank account (somewhat unnerving), but I think that you will find the rates more reasonable.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 09:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Last time this happened to me I wrote to the B&B and explained that I lived in a country with an underdeveloped international banking system and so this idea, while sensible, would cost me 50% of their fees and could I pay them cash on the day.

They came back very positive and I paid cash on the day.

By the way this is not a slur on your country's banking system it just makes the B&B people feel sorry for you.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 09:22 AM
ira

Hi DR,

Good idea from BB.

You could also ask if they will take a check for whatever the amount of the deposit plus about 10% for the cost of cashing the check written in your home currency.

You will then get local currency when you arrive and pay them in cash.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A bank transfer is no big deal in Europe, but can be a big deal in the States. So I agree w/ bilboburgler. Explain the problem to the owner and they will usually let you slide. I often suggest sending a US$ check they can hold until I arrive and then pay in cash. Sometimes they go for it, but usually they say "Oh that's OK, I didn't realize you are from the States. Just pay me when you get here."
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:09 AM

A bank to bank transfer is no big deal from the States if one chooses the proper agency for such a transfer, and one's local bank is usually not the right agency.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Michael - please name right agencies.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:45 AM

Western Union may be a lot cheaper, and there are locations even the tiniest Italian towns.

I was asked to do the same for a booking last fall. In the end, I did not have to send anything, because when I explained the costs of making the transfer to the owner of the agriturismo, she held the rooms without a deposit.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-question.cfm
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:57 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I've found, as BB says above, that if you plead residence in a far away place they, as one said to me recently, realize the plans are firm and may take pity and let you pay on the day.

Also, I book as often as is practical through AirBnB http://www.airbnb.com/ and pay with my credit card through the website. Very convenient with plenty of built-in safeguards.

I've also sent cash by certified mail when the amount wasn't large and I felt comfortable with the owner. I'm not recommending the practice routinely but did it once successfully.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 12:08 PM
blh

I prefer to send a check that is held until arrival. Then we pay cash. However, if that is not acceptable, you might ask about Paypal. I sent two deposits for fall through Paypal, and the cost was a few cents. Certainly a whole lot cheaper than a bank transfer.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Well, one of the reasons I used to deal with PayPal for rentals was that I wouldn't have accepted any of the options people are suggesting.

French people, for instance, dont realise that you can cancel a cheque easily in North America, which isn't done here.So they may be more inclined to accept a cheque. We knew it could easily be cancelled - and was not easily accepted by our bank either.

I figured if I was holding the house for you, I needed more assurance than a promise that someone would come with cash.

But after seeing the difficulties that people (mostly Americans) had with what should have been easy international transactions, I gave in and took PayPal, which involves a 4% charge.

It was worth it for us, and virtually all our renters were from other countries. But people who deal mainly with Europeans either don't trust, or won't pay the extra for PayPal.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Before I had a chance to take your suggestion to offer to pay in cash when I arrive, the B&B came back saying to send the deposit in cash (Euros) by registered mail. I would feel more comfortable sending a check, but it is starting to feel awkward sending so many emails. So I guess I'll chance sending cash.

Since neither of us speaks the other's language, and I am only on my 3rd italian language class , I can only hope that Google Translator is doing it's job. Maybe I'll take the emails in to my class on Tuesday!
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I know that this is no help for the OP, but for those in europe but outside the eurozone, the SEPA system of interbank transfers seems to work well. the fees are very low, though the exchange rate needs watching.

good luck dacon, with the holiday and with the italian classes.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 02:33 PM

Rather than change money to send, ask if you can send your own currency and swap it for euros when you arrive. I can't imagine them saying no to cash of any currency.

I have an apartment reserved in June through AirBnB and the owner has requested, in addition to the prepaid rent, a security deposit of the equivalent of a couple of hundred dollars. He is perfectly happy to have it in $'s or £'s rather than euros, money is money.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM

<i>I wouldn't have accepted any of the options people are suggesting. </i>

The option I suggest is the one I used to pay for house repairs, partly through a direct transfer and partly through a transfer to my own account and then paying with a check.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM

IF YOU ARE SENDING CASH

several sites menton that you MUST insure the registered mail itself AND find out from your local post office what THEY consider proof that you are sending cash in case you have to file a claim.

Personally I can't imagine any place that I'd want to stay at so much that I'd risk sending cash in the mail
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:55 PM

"Personally I can't imagine any place that I'd want to stay at so much that I'd risk sending cash in the mail" mztery

In general I agree. I've only done it once myself, the amount was not large and I wouldn't do it for any amount larger than 1 night's lodging.

Regarding the post office, I suspect if you discuss the matter with them they'll tell you not to do it. If you decided to go ahead, as I did, I recommend you keep the information to yourself, treat it like any letter for which you want proof of delivery and leave it at that. It's my understanding that you cannot insure cash.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Michael - still waiting to find out what agency/ies you recommend for transfers.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 04:24 PM

This is what I used: http://www.xe.com/fx/
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 04:27 PM

I explained how expensive it was for me to send a deposit from the States and told the owner to consider seting up an account w/Paypal.This has happened twice and the owners were very appreciative!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -