Tipping B&B owners and paying for cash

Old May 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping B&B owners and paying for cash

Hello everyone. My wife and I are going to Belguim, Amsterdam and Germany next month It's our first time to Belgium and Amsterdam but had been in Germany once. We've stayed in one of the chain hotels in Germany and as our custom like here in the US, we left a few dollars as tip in our room for the hotel cleaning staff.

We are now staying in B&Bs all throughout our trip. My question, and sorry for the ignorance, do we leave a tip in our room, too, when we know it's the owner who does the cleaning of the rooms? If so how much is appropriate?

Also a couple of these B&B prefer cash otherwise they charge an extra 5% if we use by credit card. Also they want payment upon day of arrival. We are limited by the amount of money we can withdraw through our ATM card. So how do we solve this problem? Or with the transaction fees and conversion fees that our bank will charge for ATM withdrawal, is it better to charge it to a CC? Many thanks!!
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:03 AM

I would not tip at a small B&B where the owner cleans the rooms.

First day pay as much as you can, 1 or 2 nights, and promise to get more cash the next day.

B&B owners that prefer cash understand the situation and will not have a problem with it (majority of the time). ATM is your best bet for this type of situation.

Have a great trip!
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM

btw, you can ask your bank to raise the daily withdrawal limit.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Rule of thumb: Tips are for staff, i.e. employees, not for owners.
They won't mind finding money but it's absolutely not necessary to tip.

Having more than one ATM card as a backup is always a good idea. Sometimes ATMs or shop cashier machines refuse to take a card for no evident reason, then it's good to have an alternative at hand. Having two cards, best for two different accounts, also solves the withdrawal limit problem. Many private owned B&Bs (and other businesses like shops) won't accept credit cards at all, so get cash.

If you really cannot get enough cash at once, talk to the owner, pay the amount you have and pay the rest the following day. In 99% of the cases the owners will understand. They all have and use ATM cards and know about withdrawal limits.
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
ira

Hi L,

We don't tip the owners.

If they have been extra-specially good to you, buy a small gift before leaving (flowers always work) and send a thank you card when you get home.

Re Payment: As noted, give them some cash the day of arrival and some each day until you are paid.

You don't want to use your daily limit to pay the B&B.

Enjoy your viait.