Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Avignon TGV to St. Remy de Provence, directions?

Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi! This is a very last minute cry for help! We are leaving this thurday to Provence, and I have gotten the Michelin maps of Provence. But I just have one tiny problem, I do not know how to get to my starting point!

We will be taking the train from Paris to Avignon TGV station, we have booked a car.

How do I get to St. Remy de Provence from the Avignon TGV station? I don't have the address of the apartment that we rented, but they just told us that it's in the town, so I just need general direction on how to get there.
What is a good map website for Europe?

Thanks for all the help!
Kris
Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM

I took a bus from the Avignon station (right outside in the front, at the bus stalls) to St. Remy de Provence. There is an information window/ofc at the train station that can also help with the exact number bus and the schedule. Otherwise, a taxi would be an expensive option if you've missed the bus.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Huitres, Thanks. But we have rented a car. So we need to drive there ourselves!

I have directions, but it's in French, and the translation I got online wasn't that great.

Here it is, if someone can understand it better...
Sortie autoroute A7Avignon sud prendre la direction de Noves
A Noves prendre la direction de Saint Rémy
En arrivant à Saint Rémy, premier rond point, tout droit rester sur la déviation,
Vous allez passer 5 ronds points, toujours tout droit,
Après le cinquième rond point nous sommes 50m à droite.
( comme point de repère vous avez à droite inter marché et à gauche la caserne des pompiers)

THANK YOU!!!!

Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:37 PM

shootingst8r, I use viamichelin.com for scouting out driving directions (although I use paper maps when actually in France).

In the "driving directions" section of viamichelin, type in Gare TGV d'Avignon as your starting point and St-Remy-de-Provence as your destination. You will get a list of streets and distances, as well as a map. Zoom in on the map and it will even show you how to get out of the parking lot at Avignon TGV.

It's not a difficult trip at all, and once you get on the road you will see that roads in France are well signposted. The only thing you need to remember is to navigate by "direction"--that is, the name of the towns or cities your are heading towards--rather than by highway number.

Paper maps: if you don't have them now, you can buy Michelin local maps at bookstores, supermarkets, and tabacs in France. Look for Michelin maps in the 1:150,000 or 1:200,000 scale. They are excellent.

One last thing. You may have to register to access driving directions on viamichelin. Can't remember.

Safe travels.

Anselm
Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:45 PM

Oops, sorry Kris, my experience was limited to taking the bus from Avignon. I am sure the Michelin guide will help you futher. Bonne chance!
Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM

Those directions are a bit cryptic, but here's my take on them:

They are assuming you are driving south on the A7 autoroute (which you wouldn't be if you were coming from Avignon TGV).

They say to take the Avignon sud exit off the A7 and to follow signs for Noves.

At Noves, follow signs for St-Remy. When you reach St-Remy, at the first roundabout take the "diviation" (which I think is D99, which bypasses St-Remy on the north side). Stay on this through 5 more roundabouts. After the fifth "we are 50 metres on the right." As orientation, you have an InterMarché on the right and a fire station (?) on the left.

However, if you were to follow the vaimichelin driving directions from Avignon TGV, you would come south to St-Remy on D571. It would cross the D99 at one of those five roundabouts. You'd turn right on D99 and find the InterMarché and fire station.

Clear as mud, I suppose. Maybe someone else will detect some error in my translation. I get rusty between trips, LOL.

Anselm
Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM

Shootingst8r...

Whatever you do, don't follow any directions that take you to St. Rémy via the A7 !
to get to the A7 from the TGV station, you'd have to go around Avignon and out past the airport, which you definitely don't want to do.

these directions will probably look too easy and simple - but all my guests get here without problem. As someone else already said - don't try looking for route numbers - just follow signs for the towns in the direction you're headed.

<<Basically you leave the rental car parking lot and exit the big main gates of the station, bear left and go straight until you come to a big circle, take the first right exit from the circle and continue straight through one big circle with traffic lights. At the next circle turn right and continue straight over a bridge (Durance river) and to another large circle. Go three quarters of the way around and exit in direction of "Châteaurenard, St. Rémy". Keep following signs for St. Rémy. Signs for St. Rémy are prevalent and everywhere.>>

Patricia
Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank all of you for all your help!!

With these great and simple directions, I think we will be fine. I took the advice from earlier threads and ordered the Michelin maps for Privence, 1,500,000 so here goes!!!

I will definately post and report back. But It's still a few days away. I might still be lurking here until I actually leave! =)
Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:04 PM

Maybe we'll pass you! we'll be driving north from Nice towards St. Remy! leaving tomorrow.. enjoy your trip!