Search

Albergo del Senato - Rome Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Albergo del Senato - Rome Hotels

Question:

How does the Albergo del Senato stack up against the Westin Excelsior, Hotel Eden and St. Regis as far as "luxury" is concerned?

I understand the location is more desirable, but simply from the inside hotel experience, how would you rank them?

Would love some feedback/opions. Again, I'm asking about the "inside" hotel experience, not location.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:27 AM

topping for Tuna,

I always wanted to know this too
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:21 AM

As far as luxury goes the Albergo is not in the same league as the others. It is a terrific choice in a great location, with a very warm and accommodating staff, but if you are strictly talking luxury then it is below the others
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:25 PM

I can't compare hotels since I've only stayed at the del Senato, and the meaning of "luxury" is so subjective, but the "photo gallery" on the venire.com site shows a wide range of choices and decor. We had a double facing the Pantheon with brocade cloth wall covering, matching linens and bedspreads. A little more elegant than I might want my home decorated in but seemed quite right for Rome - and very luxurious.

When speaking with the front desk staff we couldn't understand why the hotel was only a 3 star. It was explained to us that the lack of a restaurant on site keeps them from being a four star.

You may be a more seasoned traveler than we were during our first trip to Italy (everything was more than I could have hoped for) but the magic of looking out my window to see something that's stood the test of time for 2000 yrs would trump luxury for me anyday of the week.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:26 PM

Sorry, that should have been venere.com

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:11 PM

TunaTaco,

I agree with the poster who said that Albergo Del Senato is not in the same league as the others. That being said, we have stayed at both Albergo Del Senato and the Eden, and which one would I go back to? Albergo Del Senato.

Our stay at The Hotel Eden was marred by a tiny room even by Roman standards, air conditioning that was turned off in the middle of the night, sullen in-room dining service, and exorbitant prices.

In comparison, for a little less than half the price, we had a lovely Pantheon-facing suite at Albergo Del Senato. The front desk and housekepers couldn't have been better or more helpful, and the location was truly unbeatable for visiting most of the major tourist attractions. Oh, and the air conditioning actually worked- day and night!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:15 PM

Weadles, I am confused by your comments on the suites at the Albergo del Senato. I read TunaTaco's other thread about Rome hotels and you commented that the suites in the del Senato were disappointing and small but here you comment that the suites are lovely. I can understand that a hotel room could be small but still be lovely, but I am not sure how it could be both lovely and disappointing.

Since I am always checking hotel comments for future trips (we were in Rome in July and thought the del Senato looked lovely), I would be interested in knowing if the suites vary that much in size and appearance.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:12 PM

They're not in the same class.

This is like comparing a Camry with a Mercedes. It may be a very well appointed and cared for Camry in a very good location (and a much better price) but it will never be a Mercedes.

The question is - which do you really want/need?