Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Albergo Cesari or Albergo del Senato in Rome

Nov 28th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

I finally have flight reservations for our family of four to travel to Italy next summer. Our boys will be ages 12 and 9 and will be their first trip to Europe - we will also be celebrating my 40th birthday while there.

Like many other travelers, we will begin our trip in Rome. After reviewing a lot of posts on this board, I seem to have narrowed down our hotel to the two above mentioned hotels in Rome. It seems that most of the 5 star hotels are in less convenient areas. Our accommodations do not have to be 5 star, but we would certainly like them to be nice with a friendly staff. With that in mind, which of these hotels would you recommend? Or would you recommend an entirely different hotel in the same area.

Thank you in advance for your information!
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:34 PM

Albergo del Senato is, hands down, in my opinion, the best hotel in Rome! Pure and simple you can't beat the location - in room 603 you are facing the Pantheon! Not just the vision across the rooftops of Rome but the building itself - you can almost reach out and touch it. And it was central to all the sites of Rome. You could walk almost everywhere. The staff was extremely cordial and helpful!
As they explained, the only reason the hotel is not a four star was because they didn't have a restaurant attached to the property. But they did have the most charming rooftop bar to enjoy the lights of Rome.
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:46 PM

I, too, love the location, service, and magnificent views at Albergo del Senato. We've stayed there several times & I'd return tomorrow...happy birthday!
Nov 28th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Even though I have not stayed at the Hotel del Senato I, too, love the area the hotel is located in.
Nov 28th, 2006, 07:09 PM

I'd go with del Senato just for the view and area. I did stay in the Albergo Cesari, and it really is only a block away from the Pantheon. I was impressed with the hotel as well. Use it as your back up if you can't get into the del Senato.
Nov 28th, 2006, 07:49 PM
jgg

We have stayed at the Albergo Cesari twice with our kids who are similar ages to yours. The Cesari is an excellent location with a great staff and is undergoing some renovations. I believe they are to be done in July with the final exterior renovations. They rennovated the interior from July 2006 - Nov. 2006. You might want to check and see if they are done when you are there as that may also be a deciding factor.

We have stayed in their quad room with a king size bed and two singles. A very large room.

The del Senato is very nice and an excellent location as well. I think we chose the Cesari originally because it was a bit less than the del Senato.

Either way you can't go wrong!
Nov 29th, 2006, 12:31 AM

Another vote for the Albergo del Senato. I loved it and wouldn't stay in any other hotel in my next trip to Rome!
Nov 29th, 2006, 03:27 AM

Another vote for ALBERGO DEL SENATO. We stayed there in July in one of the seniour suites facing the Pantheon, and thought the hotel, service, and location were all excellent.
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:02 AM

And yet another vote for del Senato. We stayed there in 2003 in room 604 with that wonderful Pantheon view. The staff is very helpful. It was also my birthday and they gave me a book of poems with a picture of the hotel on it. They made dinner reservations at La Rosetta, just around the corner. It was the best seafood my husband and I have ever had!! And be prepared to sip a drink at the rooftop bar. Talk about views! Heavenly.
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:20 AM

The Albergo Del Senato is the best by far. The location is the best in Rome. The staff was terrific. We will be staying again in March 2007. Wouldn't stay anywhere else. The staff was very helpful, and the breakfast great.

Mike
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Loved the Cesari. Loved the location, the breakfasts, (especially the cappucino!) and the vibe. But I haven't stayed at your other choice.
Nov 30th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of the advice! You guys are the best! The next stop on the trip is going to be Positano - I don't even know where to start! I have read numerous posts here about various hotels in Positano - just let me know your favorites. Thanks again in advance!
Nov 30th, 2006, 09:55 AM

I too vote for Albergo del Senato. We stayed their in June 2005 and you can't be the view or location. Central to everything! If you do stay here, make sure you make it to the rooftop terrace.
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Thanks KimiG for posting this question - we have booked 6 nights at the Albergo del Senato over Christmas (and are digging deep into the pocketbooks to do so) and I have been feeling a bit nervous lately about our choice (somebody on another post said something very negative about it without going into detail), so I am thrilled to get all this affirmation that I made the right decision! I only wish we were going in warmer weather when we could enjoy that rooftop terrace.

You will have a wonderful time in Europe and that is a great age to take your boys for the first time!
Dec 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Hi- We just stayed at the Albergo del Senato in late October. The room was small and expensive, but we were feet away from the Pantheon, and it filled our windows at night. Worth the extra expense. The staff was exceptionally nice. Really. And if Michele is up on the roof tending bar, make sure you go up and have a drink. Wish I was going back so soon! - Jim
Jan 24th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

I am still working on our plans for our trip in June. I just wanted to thank everyone again for your reply to this question and to welcome additional new comments. Again, thanks!