Day trip from Arles

Search

Day trip from Arles

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip from Arles

Was wondering the best order and route to take to see Avignon, Pont du Gard, and Uzes? We'll be driving and would like to consider traffic, most scenic routes, and your suggestion for lunch, possibly dinner. It's our first visit to this area and we'd appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM
sandi

Get the Michelin #528 Orange map and the roads will be clearly marked from Arles to Avignon and there are good signposts from Avignon to Pont du Gard and onto Uzes.

Old May 14th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you are staying in Arles you must go to the Camargue, the place where they grow red rice(a great gift to bring back) Watch the pink flamingoes, the wild black bulls and white horses, AND, if one is a bird watcher, you will be in heavan. If you ride horses, this is the place to be.
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:58 PM

Since you'll be in Arles, the first stop could be the marvelous Pont du Gard, followed by Uzès, and finally Avignon, where you could have dinner at one of the restaurants around the large plaza down from the Palais des Papes. Alternatively, you could have a fine dinner in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon at Le Prieuré.

Many of the roads in this area are scenic, and traffic isn't too bad until you near Avignon. There you want to get onto the ring road that goes around the city; follow the signs for the parking at Palais des Papes, which is located conveniently for most sights.

I'd suggest picking up the Michelin 245 map of Provence just in case you want to range farther afield.
Old May 15th, 2004, 04:35 AM
sandi

Underhill - The 245 Yellow Michelin has been replaced by the 528 Orange. This was about a year ago, which I learned here on Fodors. I still have my 245 and love it; but the newest, latest, greatest model is the 528. And available at most outlets.

Old May 15th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Thanks, Sandi--we'll pick up the new one in September. Are there really many changes? And are all the yellow (regional) maps now orange? I hope not, as it's my least favorite color!
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:04 AM
sandi

Underhill - I believe all the Yellows have now turned Orange. Whether there are any changes - with the exception of possible indications of road construction or closures, and except for the Peage - I'd say most of the roads have been there since Roman times LOL! Honestly, I don't know if or what changes might be with Orange versus Yellow.

Personally, I believe unless a company (Michelin) changes a product in some way how can they sell more - everyone will hold onto the Yellow. It's a small outlay if there are changes, but I'd compare them before actually buying a new one. Then again, if the Yellow has been folded and refolded and you've got torn creases, it time for a new map anyway - go for the Orange 528.