automatic car rental in Spain

Aug 29th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

automatic car rental in Spain

Having a hard time finding a rental of an automatic car in Spain, to be picked up at Madrid airport or in Seville. Looks like Hertz doesn't have any automatics, and the only one I saw at Avis was 150 euro per day (for a car that renst for half that if a manual--price including taxes, but not insurance) Any ideas?
Other relaible companies you've used, and or promotional codes would be helpful
Aug 29th, 2003, 02:43 PM

Dear NYER,

In Spain as well as most of Europe you must be prepared to drive a manual transmission. Even if you reserve an automatic they could still not have one for you as they are quite rare and hard to come by, therefore the very steep price. I don't know what else to tell you as I think you need to be prepared for a manual even if you have reserved an automatic.

Maria
Aug 29th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Have you tried autoeurope.com? They are a US-based broker that contracts with many local rental agencies, and may be able to help you.

However, Maria is correct that there are no hard and fast guarantees....
Aug 29th, 2003, 03:38 PM

nyer,
Ditto to what Maria has told you. Friends of mine who have rented automatics in Spain have paid very, very dearly, twice the daily rate of a manual, as automatics are few and far between and usually vehicles in the highest, luxury category. If you absolutely cannot drive a manual and must have an automatic, I'd try Autoeurope, as Lesli has suggested, or its sister company, Kemwel.
Aug 29th, 2003, 04:08 PM

Other Fodorites have noted in previous threads RE: rental cars, that there is usually a steep fee to pick up the car at the airport. To avoid that fee, you might want to check into picking up the car somewhere other than the airport.
Aug 29th, 2003, 06:32 PM

Not to beat a dead horse here - but it is REALLY important that you can at least drive a stick. As you have found - automatics are much more expensive. But you can reserve one if you can afford it.

Normally if you book an automatic you will get one - but sometimes "Stuff" happens. Say a particular rental location normally has one automatic. And someone else has it booked for the 9 days before you. And overnight while you are trying to sleep on that loooong flight, that renter either rebooks it for another day or two - or maybe has an accident. Well best laid plans - but they will simply not have an automatic to give you. So unless you are willing to bide your time for a day or 2 til they can round one up, you would have to take a temporary car which will be a stick. They will eventually make good and find you an automatic but it could put a BIG wrinkle in your plans while you wait for it.
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your wise advice! As I have never driven a manual car (and do not have time to learn or practice before this trip),public transportation it will be! It will change my plans somewhat, but not enough to worry about.

Search this Thread