AutoEurope Questions

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoEurope Questions

I am renting in Florence for three days as we drive around the surrounding towns.

Just curious if there are any things to watch out for as this is my first car rental outside the US.

Also, if we need to extend for another day is that a problem typically? Or are the added surcharges so expensive that it would be prohibitive?

Any other tips for dealing with this company?
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
AutoEurope is a broker - you will be getting the car from the local agency whether it be Avis, Hertz or some other company.

So if you want the car for additional day(s) at the last minute, you'd need to arrange that w/ the rental company. They may or may not be able to let you have it, and they may or may not offer the same rates. You'd be completely at their mercy. So if you want a car for longer you should book it for longer from the outset.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janisj. Let me flip it around: what if I rent for say five days and return it after four days? Do I pay for the fifth day?
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Autoeurope has an 800 number. I would call them direct to answer your questions.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:46 PM

We picked our car, a Smart ForFour up from an office in Florence in 2006. I don't have the info handy, but it was an AutoEurope storefront on a busy street in southern Florence. It was funny to watch them deliver the car from the garage as it was busy on the street an they were trying to show us its 'features' mid-lane!

mdtravel - just realize it may be a small AE storefront, not an Avis or Hertz!
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Oh, we had a great expience with AE... just a rental tip, take digital pics w/ a date stamp of the car when you pick it up so you can prove any pre-existing damage.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 07:50 PM

We rented with Auto Europe last May picking up in Rome and dropping off in Foligno. We decided to change our plans which involved keeping the car for an extra day. I called the toll free number on our voucher and Auto Europe was able to extend the car rental at the lower prepaid rate.

We did have some difficulty when we went to return the car as Auto Europe had faxed the new voucher to the pick-up location and the Foligno office was not aware of the change. It seems that their technology is slightly behind over there. She had computer trouble on both days we were at the office.

I called the Auto Europe office and they faxed the new voucher to the Foligno branch and it all worked out. It did take several precious hours of our vacation time standing at the Avis counter to get it straight though as they wanted to charge us for the extra day at a much higher rate. I don't know if I would want to bother with that kind of trouble again.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
travelphile: AutoEurope doesn't have "storefronts". It is a broker and doesn't rent cars. Maybe you are thinking of EuropCar or some other agency . . . .
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Just a thought - do you have an international driver's license?
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Once your rental has begun, AutoEurope states "no refund for early return." However, they are fantastic about making changes even up to the last minute BEFORE your rental has started.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you folks for the great info. It seems like the best approach would be to make it for what might perhaps be a shorter rental and try to extend it if we absolutely need to. Good info.

And yes, I did get my international driver's license.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:34 AM

One thing to be very aware of and that is dynamic currency conversion.

If you end up paying anything directly to the actual renatl agency, and you very well might, make certain you read the agreement BEFORE you sign it.

Make sure they are charging you in Euros and not in dollars.

Major agencies such as Hertz are the very people who started the dynamic currency conversion scheme in the first place.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Our harddrive died last week, so I can't access our trip documents for the Florence address, but I did just read old posts from my trip planning and we did rent from AutoEurope.

I know we trekked our luggage through the streets of Florence and then went to the agency - DH and I are both swearing it really was an AutoEurope storefront... I did have a family member in ICU at the time, so some of the trip is a bit blurry...? Perhaps I am crazy?
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Apparently our minds were clouded... Sorry!
From their website...
Auto Europe is independent, not an agent for any particular car rental company. The name of the car rental company is provided at the top of the voucher along with the location information for the supplier.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:06 AM

In my experience, five days rental most of the time equals the rate of one week.
If you wish to know what happens if you rent for four instead of five, call them or check in their web site.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Travelphile, I don't think you are crazy. Maybe your rental was through Auto Europe with Auto Europa. We have this type reservation for an upcoming trip to Florence.
I would like to know if you had any problems with that rental.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Here are a few things to "watch out for."

Using a credit card's auto collision coverage has many advantages, and one of the more important ones is that there is no deductible if there is a claim. If you're planning to use your credit card for collision insurance, (1) be sure the issuer insures in Italy;(2) be sure to use the same credit card to initiate the rental and to pay any balance due at the agency; (3) be sure to indicate on your auto agreement that you are declining their insurance. Also be aware that the auto agency may put a hold on your credit card so be sure you have enough balance to cover that and any other expenses you plan on. If you choose to purchase the auto insurance from either Auto Europe or from the agency, be aware that there will be a deductible -- if it's not in the fine print, ask; and, finally, I know it takes valuable time, but do read the entire agreement before signing and driving off.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:41 AM
ira

Hi CR,

Italy requires CDW.

I don't think that CC company provides insurance for Italy.