Strollers in Rome: Your final answer

Feb 15th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Strollers in Rome: Your final answer

We leave for Rome next Friday (the 24th), with 4-year old and 1-year old in tow. We have a baby backpack, but I am still hashing over the stroller issue. I've heard all the cobblestone/steps stories, public transport would be ridiculous trying to haul a stroller around, probably. I've had people tell me that if I take a stroller at all, it should be one of those off-road strollers, which I don't have, and am not going to invest in.

So I can't decide. It strikes me the stroller would be invaluable in the airports, and I'd just feel better having one around, just in case things aren't really as bad as I hear...

What say you folks?
Feb 15th, 2006, 07:16 AM

I would not go without a stroller. The 4 year old will get tired, and you will have to plan your day around how far he/she can walk. I would take a backpack for baby, and the stroller. The 1-year old can use the stroller while the 4-year old walks. Put the baby in the backpack when the older child gets tired. True that a sturdy stroller will be easier, but I would rather have a simple stroller than none at all. Also, I remember from when my kids were that age, if you have one with an adjustable seat, the baby can sleep in the stroller.
Feb 15th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Wanted to add; we just had a collapible McLaren stroller, which we took everywhere. And you can hang a bag with essentials on the stroller; what would you do with babies diapers, bottles otherwise?
Feb 15th, 2006, 07:21 AM

We have used the same $20 umbrella stroller (yes the same one) in Paris, Germany, San Juan, etc. It may be a bit rough, but I'd not lug a huge stroller over there. What better way to wear out your 4 year old than some good walks.
Feb 15th, 2006, 07:26 AM

Bring the stroller. There are plenty of normal sidewalks and paved routes.
Feb 15th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! A stroller it is!
Feb 15th, 2006, 10:41 AM

A light stroller is a must!

We saw lots of families use them for 4+ yr olds on our trip to Rome last yr. You will also have the option to use it for your 1 yr old and give the backpack carrier a break.

Have a wonderful trip
Feb 15th, 2006, 10:55 AM

Yes, bring an umbrella stroller! I used one for my then 4 year old in Paris & Munich. He didn't mind it and there were no complaints from him of being tired. He did do some walking, but when he was worn out, it was into the stroller for a snack or catnap. I think I picked one up at Wal-mart for about $12. Have a great trip!
Feb 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Definitely, take your stroller! We have traveled with a stroller; otherwise we would have been severely limited in mobility. Cobblestone streets and subways were never an obstacle: (1) there were always sidewalks and other roads, and (2) it never ceased to amaze me, how strangers would stop and offer to help carry the stroller down flights of stairs. You'll be fine. Have fun!
Feb 15th, 2006, 03:08 PM

As a mother of a young child, I have always taken a stroller to Europe, regardless of where I am (Rome, Paris, Siena, Berlin). True, there are cobblestone streets, hills, and often blaring traffic but it is harder to coax a tired 4 year old to "keep walking" when they can be conveniently (and fuss-free) pushed by Mommy or Daddy in a light-weight stroller.

Definitely buy a light-weight, fold-able stroller. I bought mine at Target (Walmart has them too) for $16 or less. You can push it all the way onto the plane, then fold it and have it gate-checked on the ramp (and ready for you when you land). The nice thing about a lighter version is that you can take it on trains, busses, Metros, etc by folding it up and putting it on the ground next to your seat. Also, if you lose it (mine was lost one year by Lufthansa Airlines in Milano), buying a replacement one doesn't hit the pocketbooks as bad because only $16 spent.

I don't know what I would have done without my stroller - it enabled me to walk miles everywhere, everyday without fear of tiring out my little one's legs. I got my exercise and she had a great seat to view from. A light-weight stroller is a lifesaver - believe me!
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM

The first time we went to Rome (no children in our party) we made sure to cross the busy streets whenever possible with families with strollers. Thought we'd have a better chance of getting across in one piece as the Italians love children!
Apr 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Basically same question but slightly different facts - we are traveling with one child, a 9 month old baby and going only to Rome (so no trains and no cars or planes (except to/from the airport).

Would you suggest that we bring our big jogging stroller (Bob brand) that has big wheels and is great on the cobblestones but is large? I have a bag that I can pack it in for the flight if needed and a bike lock to lock it up outside (although I am not 100% comfortable that someone couldn't steal it anyway). Or should I bring an inexpensive umbrella stroller? Or a more expensive decent quality umbrella stroller?

I've never traveled with the baby to Europe but at home here in Boston we do a LOT of walking and the jogging stroller is easy to push. I have the same concerns about bringing such a big stroller as far as narrow sidewalks, bringing it into the sights etc. Not sure if these big jogging style strollers are popular in Europe (I sort of doubt it).

I'd be annoyed if my good Bob stroller was lost/broken/stolen but it is just a stroller that can be replaced. If it makes the trip more enjoyable, I'd take my chances that the stroller doesn't make it home.

Apr 15th, 2007, 10:38 PM

We went to Rome with a toddler and brought a small umbrella-type stroller which worked great in the airports. But since the stroller never made it from London to the Rome baggage claim, we never got to use it in Rome.

Thankfully, we checked through a backpack and that worked wonderfully. Yes, the sidewalks are narrow and many times are blocked by a vespa forcing you in the road with other vespas.

I would leave your expensive stroller at home and perhaps go for one a bit smaller. And perhaps think about using a backpack as an alternative.

Good luck!
Apr 16th, 2007, 05:41 AM

For a trip across the US Southwest with our then 18 month old, we purchased a convertible backpack/stroller made by Kelty:
http://www.kelty.com/kelty/kids.php?type=&cat=48&id=196

I can't recommend this enough. Works great as a stroller. My son likes it much more than a regular stroller because he sits upright and can look around much better. As a back pack, it worked well enough for some fairly strenuous hikes in the National Parks.

It also can double (triple?) as a high chair, which can come especially handy in Europe where high chairs/baby seats are not always as readily available as in the US.
Apr 16th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Sally:

We have this one and love it:

http://tinyurl.com/35844k

The nice thing about this (besides the fact it is only $55) is that it reclines. The thing about the cobblestones is that it puts them right to sleep. It is just like riding in a car. We saw sooo many sleepy babies riding around in Spain!

It also folds down into thirds. It can be made really tiny. But I did velcro a fanny pack to the back of it. I think they make them now for it:

http://tinyurl.com/3dn4mb