car rental in Florence

Feb 14th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

car rental in Florence

I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of the AutoEurope.ca site. Specifically- we are looking to rent a mid or standard size car from Jul 28-Aug 4. We will be arriving in Florence by train & going directly to get the car. I've noticed there are 3 addresses on Via Borgognissanti- 53-55r, 100r & 128r- which would be most convenient for pick up purposes? Which is easiest for leaving town & heading to Montepulciano? I have just checked the rates for an Alfa Romeo 159- at 53-55r Via Borgognissanti the cost is 651.20 cdn for the week while at 100r Via Borgognissanti the same car is 945.00 cdn & at 128r Via Borgognissanti an Alfa Romeo 159 wagon is only 583.70 cdn. Maybe it's just me but I find it all very confusing. I'm also wondering if I book now for July & the rates go down at all can I get the lower rate?
Thanks so much for your help
Sam
Feb 14th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Those are the most likely rental car offices. However, the cars may all be parked in the same garage. Florence is a small city so choose the best price. It is easy to leave that area by car to get out to the autostrada.
You can always cancel and rebook if prices change.
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:08 PM

AutoEurope is a broker that deals with several rental car companies. Those are clearly three different rental agencies they're quoting you.

Like HappyTrvlr says, all three of them may have cars parked in the same garage. Just the offices are not the same place.

Go with the lowest.
Feb 15th, 2007, 07:32 AM
ira

Hi Sam,

Call Autoeurope.

Ask all of your questions.

If you book now and the rate goes down, you can change without charge.

Also check www.novacarhire.com and www.gemut.com.

How many are you that you want a mid or standard size car?

We have found the 4-dr compact to be perfect for 2 people.

Feb 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM

We left from that garage location and it is extremely easy to get to the autostrada from there.
Feb 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Just the info I was looking for. Thanks everyone!

Ira: there will be 4 of us (myself, my husband, 16 yr old son & 11 yr old daughter) I think we will need a mid or standard size car to get us & our luggage to Montepulciano where will be based for a week. We plan to do day trips from there.
I quickly checked Nova Car Hire & they seem to have lower rates than AutoEurope. Is it better to book with AutoEurope & request the best rate guarantee or book through the company that offers the lowest rate? I have no experience with this so am very grateful for any help
Feb 15th, 2007, 10:46 AM

We've used both nova and autoeurope and been pleased with both (and gemut.com, too). I'd just take the lowest.
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:46 AM

samk, since most of your car travel will be without luggage, I would get as small a car as you four can fit it. Pile the bags on top for your trips to and from. Little Italian hilltop towns have very narrow streets. With a larger car, your best bet is to park outside the towns and walk in. And some of those outside-the-town parking lots are pretty tight.
Feb 17th, 2007, 09:01 PM

I have picked up and dropped cars off in this area also. Picking up and leaving town was not too bad, but dropping off in 5pm traffic was insane. Be warned, driving in Florence and Rome is not for the weak of heart. Good luck.
Feb 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM

We've rented through Nova on two occasions in Europe (Spain and Italy) and been very pleased. We were a bit nervous because their rates were so much lower, and included full insurance coverage. We found no hidden fees and great customer service both times. You certainly don't want a car for travel within Florence. We did something similar, in that we picked up a car in Florence and drove to Cortona for a week of our trip. We spent a couple nights in Florence after, and stayed at the Hotel David, south of the River Arno. It was an awesome little hotel, and very reasonable rates on www.venere.com. Anyway, staying anywhere south of the river enables you to minimize driving in the old section of the city. The car rental agency was just over the Ponte A. Vespucci.

By the way, my favorite maps for the cities in Italy is the MapEasy Guide Maps (in Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc.). Helped with driving as well as seeing the sites, without having to lug a guidebook around.
Mar 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Just a word of caution, because we are doing the same thing-We are renting from Kemwel/AutoEurope. The lowest quote we got from them was thru Autoeuropa-it had theft and CDW with $0 deductible...but there was an exclusion for single car accidents-so if you get a ding or little scrape or crashed into something not involving another car it wouldn't be covered. We ended up booking thru Kemwel, with a AAA discount, $0 deductible with full coverage for $40 more.