Search

Austria Travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 10:01 PM
baza

Austria Travel

i would like to visit Halstatt, Salzburg, Vienna. Is 4 days enough for the trip. Thanks a lot.

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 02:09 AM
toom

Wien alone could take you all four days to enjoy the city. I think it might be too tired to do all the three cities in just 4 days.

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 03:08 PM
alan

Hi! Vienna alone is 3days and thats pushing it and leaving off one day at least. Salzberg is at least 2 days also. If this is your first time, why push yourself? Enjoy the sights rather than moving rapidly. You will get tired of churches and museums, so give yourself time to sit in an outdoor cafe and have some type of drink and soak in the atmoshere as well as the buildings. alan

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 03:08 PM
Ken Horn

baza: I agree wholeheartily with Toom-4 days is not enough if you want to do more than check in and out of hotels. <BR>

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 06:49 PM
jeanie

The only problem is that it is kind of hard to get to Hallstatt, especially given your time constraints. Whatever you do, allow at least two days for Vienna, depending on how much you would like to visit and what pace you travel at. Salzburg can easily be seen in a day.

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 07:12 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Baza, I would forget Vienna and spend your 4 days in Salzburg, Hallstatt, and <BR>St. Gilgen on the Wolfgangsee. You could <BR>easily stay in St. Gilgen and day trip <BR>to the other two---Hallstatt is about an <BR>hour and Salzburg only :30. You will love the area---right out of of a set <BR>for a movie.

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 08:15 AM
steve

I agree with Bob - I'd spend all four days in Salzburg (spent 6 days there the last time I went - my third trip there). Hallstatt is definately worth the day. <BR> <BR>If there are many places you want to visit in Vienna, then that might outweigh what you want to see in Salzburg. <BR> <BR>But either way - do one or the other, there is not time to do both

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 08:49 AM
denise

Thought we'd spend the last 5 nights of our 14 night Germany/austria vacation in St.Gilgen. Can we drive from Phronten/Falkenstein to St.Gilgen in a day? Also, having trouble finding accomodations open in the area in late Oct. Many close on Oct.lst or 15th.I assume the weather in that part of Austria may be the reason they close and therefore, wonder if we should spend all five nights there? Also, we have a 3:00pm flight home from Munich on 10/30. Do we have enough time to drive from St.Gilgen in the am to make our 3:00pm flight from Munich or should we plan on staying someplace near the airport the night before. Thanks for any help!

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 09:01 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Denise, I would allow 3 hours to drive <BR>to Munich airport, so you should have time. In St.Gilgen try Haus Schernthaner <BR>at [email protected] or fax 6227-24022. <BR>A nice Tyrolean 3 star where the Eisl <BR>family will make you feel welcome. She <BR>speaks good english. We were there in <BR>April for 2 nites--lovely village.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 04:41 AM
Kate

I have to put in a plug for Vienna. It is a fair distance from Salzburg (about 3 hours as I recall), and we did go out of our way to include it in our trip. But oh, was it worth it. While it is a bit tacky in some of the tourist areas, it is so easy to imagine the grandeur and splendor of the glory days. The Treasury at the Hofburg Palace has some incredible displays of past royalty, and just walking up and down Kärntner Straße in the evenings listening to the street musicians is delightful. <BR>However, you cannot do it all- and time to unwind and savor the locale is very important. We missed going to Hallstatt because it was raining and we figured it wasn't worth the drive if we couldn't see the mountains. There is a lot of beautiful scenery right outside Salzburg to the south (Berchtesgaden, Königsee) so maybe you could skip Hallstatt. Or just be flexible and see what appeals to you the most.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:10 PM
Len

Hi,<BR><BR>I am taking my daughter to Austria for her college graduation present in June. We have nine days. the first three are booked for Vienna and the last three for Prague. We hope to travel to Hallstatt in between. The trains between Vienna and Hallstatt seem very inconvenient. We were thinking driving between Vienna and Hallstat, and then back, would be the way to go. Any opinions? We would then take the train from Vienna to Prague, from which we fly home. Thanks for any advice.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:02 PM
steve

4 days is fine for a first trip to Hallstatt and Salzburg, but going to/from vienna would add a day just in travel.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:45 AM
Liz

Len- Hallstatt is beautiful, but I'm not sure it fits in your trip, it's much closer to Salzburg. I don't think driving would help much. How many days were you planning on spending in Hallstatt? And please, start a new post next time instead of pulling up a 3-year-old one, to avoid confusion.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:09 PM
Len

Liz,<BR><BR>Thank you for the reply. I am a rookie as far as bulletin board etiquette.<BR><BR>We want to spend two nights in Halstatt. I know I will lose half a day getting there from Vienna. If I drive, I could return the car in Salzburg and take a 7 1/2 hour train to Prague (through Linz). Or drive back to Vienna and take the shorter Vienna-Prague train. Or skip the car entirely. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:19 PM
Liz

Len-<BR>Your plan certainly is do-able, and if your other stops are cities, it will be a nice change. I personally like to travel by train, but you'll have to decide which mode of travel you prefer. By-the-way, when you arrive in Hallstatt by train, a ferry meets the train to take you across the lake to the town. I thought that made Hallstatt even more enchanting.

Old May 4th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Joycel

Vienna alone can easily occupy all 4 days. I spent 5 days in Vienna and still did not have time to see everything I wanted to see. <BR><BR>Salzburg is a small town. A half-day there is enough time to see all the main sights. <BR><BR>Halstatt is even smaller. You can see the entire town in a 30-minute walk. <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old May 4th, 2002, 10:46 AM
bettyk

Even tho' Hallstatt can be "seen" in 30 minutes, it is such a beautiful place that you may want to spend a little time soaking it all in. Very relaxing just to sit by the lake, enjoying the splendor of it all.