austria/switz final tweek

Jul 8th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

austria/switz final tweek

i have planned a lot of my trip with all of your help and i thank you. my final....
2 weeks
rent a car
arrive zurich drive to luzern 3 nights
lauterbrunnen 1 night
lugano/como 3 nights
hall in tirol 2 nights
salzburg 3 nights
zurinch 1 full day and fly home

any tweeking necessary... i know you aregoing to say more time in the BO......but besides that ......comments .... . thanks so much
Jul 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Not too bad. I would drop the BO if you only have one nite. I would also not get the car until Lugano. Have fun--I love that entire region.
Jul 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Having been to all of these places. I would spend 1 night in Luzern and 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen. Lauterbrunnen and the whole Bernese Oberland is just one of the most beautiful places on earth! I've been to Luzern twice. It has been overrun with tourists! I can't inmagine what you would do spending 3 nights there.

Just my opinion of course!
Jul 8th, 2009, 06:13 PM

I agree with Masterphil. I love Lucerne, but feel you are really shortchanging the BO. One day is definitely not enough, especially if you happen to hit a so so weather day. There is so much to do in the area that you could definitely spend more time there. OTOH, one day in Lucerne is enough to really visit the old town in depth.
Jul 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM

I also agree with Masterphil and bettyk. However I would change the order of cities: Zuerich - Luzern - Lauterbrunnen - Lugano (via Gotthard Tunnel) - Mennagio (Lake Como)- ferry to east side of Lake Como - Chiavenna (north of Lake Como) - almost to St. Moritz - Julierpass - Chur - Buchs - cross over to Feldkirch in Austria, the Autobahn East to Hall - Innsbruck - Inntal Dreieck (near Rosenheim) where the Austrian A-12 ends at the German A-8, the Munich Salzburg autobahn.

After Salzburg - A-8 west to Irschenberg exit - Bad Toelz - to Austobahn A-95, south to Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Leermoos - Fuessen - Lindau -along lake Constance to Meersburg - ferry to near Konstanz - Autobahn to Zuerich.

I have driven all these roads. They are good and scenic. There are a couple of optional variations between Innsbruck and Salzburg. Will be glad to detail those for you.
Jul 9th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Hi,

I've got to agree... I'd switch it to 1 night Luzern and 3 nights Berner Oberland.

You'll just be paying to park the car for Luzern and the BO. No need for it until afterwards.

Paul
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:17 AM

When you are in Salzburg, try to fit in a visit to Bergtesgaden which is only about 30km by car....this is the famous Eagle's Nest given to Hitler as a 5oth birthday present ....referred to locally as Kehlstein. Truly incredible place and worth the ticket. A lot of history there, and something for everyone I believe. Rouss
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Salzburg is so beautiful that you may want to think about spending a day or two more there instead of another city.
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Unless you plan to do several day trips from Salzburg, I can't imagine spending more than 3 days there. It IS lovely, but it is crowded with tourists and you can easily see the main sights in a day or two.

Just my opinion.
Jul 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your help. i understand your comments about the car rental; the one way drop charges are more than the cost of the extra few days. thanks for the route help treplow i need to sit with a map and get back to you on that one ... i got a pay for 2 get 1 night free in a 5 star hotel in luzern..... i thought one day i might take a day trip to bern or spiez?
we are not the up at 7am type....more the up at noon and keep going till midnight....vacation can also be for a nap..... dont you think? sometimes hard to balance ........
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:33 PM

alane, we do try to take a little nap here and there on our 3 week trips to Europe. Everybody needs a little down time and traveling can be tiring.

But OTHO, I always think I didn't pay all this money to come over here and nap! I want to see stuff.... LOL.
Jul 10th, 2009, 03:46 PM

Alane, a good nap is the first step to getting really acclimated to Europe. Do as the Europeans do.After a good nap stop for Kaffee und Kuchen(coffee with lots of pastries or parfait. Worry about the wasteline wehn you get back home.
Jul 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM

hi alane,

having just spent two nights there, i agree about not spending too long in Salzburg. the sights will really only take a day or so, add a concert and a bit of shopping, and that's about it.

nice restaurants and bars though - we liked the "Drei Brueder" [just off Linzergasse] for excellent beer, unusual food to go with it, and excellent wines by the glass. we also found an indian snackbar called "spicey spicey" which provided a great antedote for all that schnitzel.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Jul 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

i have spent all day thinking about what everyone has said. and i have changed it again; now spending 2 nights in Luzern and 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen. i checked another website and i was able to get the same 5 star hotel in Luzern 'the hotel' for a much lower price than the pay for 2 stay 3. amazing what the marketing departments are capable of doing. the first day is luzern is the day we arrive from the US.
thanks !!! i am sure i will be back with more questions as time approaches
Jul 12th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Luzern is a good town to get over your jetlag in. There are many nice easy walks in the old town and along the river and lake.

Hopefully, the weather will be nice in the BO so you can truly appreciate how beautiful it is!
Jul 13th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

treplow.......help.... what about going thur st mortiz and schuls to get to hall in tirol from lugano.... almost going thru the schweizer nationalpark?..... i was going to go your way but the return trip from salzburg to zurich including appenzell goes so close to the route you mention... any thoughts?

Search this Thread