Help me choose a Paris hotel

Jun 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Help me choose a Paris hotel

My husband and I will be spending 4 nights in Pairis in late July and early August.
Here are the choices. I'd appreciate your opinions and any other hotel you may suggest as a consideration.

Hotel des Academies et de Arts
Hotel Luxembourg Parc
Hotel de Sers
Hotel Aubusson (the most expensive choice)

Thanks for your help .....
Jun 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM

We just recently discovered http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/ and thought it was terrific.
Jun 14th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll check it out.
Jun 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM

I am by no means an expert, but after 6 trips to Paris here are my thoughts.

Hotel de Sers----we're not that fond of the right bank except near The Seine. Champs E. far too commercial, not the quaint neighborhood feel of the Left Bank.

Hotel Luxembourg Parc----we have stayed in the area of Montparnasse & Raspail and loved it. There are great restaurants and close to Lux. Park. The downside is that it is far from the river and most of the sites.

Hotel Aubusson----gorgeous, on the other side of Lux.Park from the river, but not too bad a walk.

Hotel des Academies et de Arts----A great neighborhood near The Pantheon and it looks so cute, I'm bookmarking it. But again, a far walk to St. Germain and the river.

Everyone has their favorite neighborhood in Paris and ours just happens to be around St. Germain, and close to the river for convenience. For the last few years we now rent an apartment on I'le St. Louis.

The apartment we rent is from www.guestapartment.com and is called Hibiscus(Large Studio). I don't know if they will rent for 4 nites, but it's worth a try. Guest Apt. has a concierge office around the corner for help with everything from restaurant reservations to tours. They are very nice people. The best part of the apt. idea is making coffee while my husband walks to 1 of 3 bakeries within 1 blk. of the apt. for fresh baguettes and pastry for breakfast. Thats the extent of my cooking. This may not be to your liking, but it makes us feel more "Parisian".

We find that the restaurants, street entertainment, and the beauty of The Seine at night is the perfect atmosphere for us. Plus we can walk everywhere and it is convenient to the boats for transportation.

A hotel we have also enjoyed on St. Germain is www.hotel-madison.com It is lovely with a great breakfast included and in an excellent location, convenient to everything. We do upgrade when we stay there as the standard rooms are rather plain. Upgrade rooms,beautiful.

Having gone on enough, out of the properties mentioned, I'd choose The Aubusson,looks gorgeous.
Jun 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM

I haven't stayed at any of your hotels. Like TPAYT I have rented from Guest Apartment Services in the past and they were terrific. I don't spend that much money on my accommodations these days. But if I did/could, out of your choices I would go for the Luxembourg Parc because it's a very nice location, central and yet relatively peaceful, and I have read positive reviews about it here and on tripadvisor. I walked by it a few weeks ago and thought to myself, "Someday I'll try staying there."

Have a great trip!
Jun 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM

I can't speak to the hotels, but I also stayed in the Montparnasse, blvd. Raspail area. We were on blvd. Raspail, just a couple blocks away from Edgar Quinet. I really enjoyed that neighborhood. I had stayed in more commercial areas before and the neighborhood feel was just great. Several metro stops available and also the bus was available.
Jun 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM

We stayed at the Hotel D'Aubusson in April. It was our first time staying on the left bank. IMO, the location can't be beat. It's an easy walk to Notre Dame, the Louvre, St Germain, the Siene...etc etc. We found we hardly needed to take the Metro because we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Based on the 4 hotels you listed, this would be my pick for location. I know people LOVE this hotel in general and say it's one of the nicest on the left bank. I thought the public areas were very nice and the service is really wonderful as well. I didn't think the rooms were all that fantastic but, maybe that was just ours? We were on the top floor and I believe we had a superior room. It was very large but rather drab and in need of some new soft furnishings.

The one apartment we rented we did through www.guestapartment.com as well. It is a great agency and it was wonderful to stay on the Ile St Louis. I *think* they may have a minimum of a 5-7 night stay during high season? That's pretty typical for apartments but it might be worth checking with them.

Enjoy your trip!

ILP
Jun 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM

I have stayed at the Luxembourg Parc a couple of times and highly recommend it. Beautifully decorated rooms, albeit not large. Great marble bathrooms with power showers. Nice bar and lounge. Also love the location across from the gardens.
Jun 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Hotel des Academies et de Arts is in Montparnasse (M:Vavin), not near the Pantheon (Latin Qtr)...
Read the reviews of d'Aubusson on Tripadvisor before committing, as I recall some comments regarding signs of wear in the hotel (nearing time for a refurb)...
Jun 14th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Since you asked for alternatives..my all time favorite, the Hotel de l'Abbaye St. Germain.
http://www.hotelabbayeparis.com/
Jun 14th, 2009, 05:35 PM

we stayed in the lain district 2 yrs ago. at "le senat'.. a small hotel, very very clean, a bit modern for paris, great location, little grocery across teh street, and near luxembourg gardens.... great continental breakfast in teh morning... helpful staff...cindy
Jun 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM

sorry, didn't check spelling, the "latin district" of paris is the area we stayed.... it was quaint also....
Jun 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM

I don't know your hotel list, but to me in Paris, I care more about which arrondisement I stay in, than about ammenities of a particular hotel. A central location would be most important to me, because I love to be able to walk most places, not be tied to having to use public transportation every day.
Jun 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM

We have the Luxembourg Parc booked for September. As this will be our first visit to Paris we had no idea where to stay---of course if I had found Fodor's first I wouldn't have had to spend all that time looking on Trip Advisor. So we booked the Parc simply on the comments of previous guests. We booked the only room that has a private terrace (at my DH insistance) so hope the weather will cooperate for us to be able to enjoy it. Hope you don't have to spend as much time deciding on a place to stay as I did and that you have a wonderful trip!
Jun 15th, 2009, 04:36 AM

I withdraw my remark above about d'Aubusson, as I cannot locate the comment on TA.
I don't have this much budget for hotels, but I think the importance of the room may rise with the price. I'd be more disappointed in unmet expectations if paying 300 euro than if spending 100 euro...
Jun 15th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions and opinions regarding the hotels we are considering. Yesterday, I spent a good part of the day looking at the apartment rental option. I will contact guest apartments and see if the Hibiscus is availabe for 4 nights (wish it was for a week!). The advantage of an apartment - living in a neighborhood and within walking distance to all the sights would be fantastic.
I've seen it mentioned quite a bit and excuse my ignorance, explain to me about the "arrondisement".
Thanks again for the help and information. I'll keep you informed when we make a final decision.
Jun 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
ira

Hi SC,
>I've seen it mentioned quite a bit and excuse my ignorance, explain to me about the "arrondisement". <

Think of them as zip codes. Most tourists prefer 1, 4-8 as being the most central.

Jun 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM

I think those are all good choices, and I've heard good things about the Luxembourg Parc and Aubusson. Never heard of the Sers.

I stay in Montparnasse a lot, also, and it is fine, but the Luxembourg Parc is not in Montparnasse nor near bd Raspail, I don't understand those comments.

It's in St Germain right on the northern border of Luxembourg Gardens on the corner of rue Servandoni.
Jun 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information Christina. So, we would be within walking distance or at least metro if we stayed at the Luxembourg Parc? It looks like it is in a wonderful neighborhood.
I haven't heard back from my inquiry to www.guestapartment.com and we are now leaning back towards staying at a hotel.
Jun 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM

I can tell you that being near Luxembourg Gardens is pretty neat. That's where my wife and I go when we arrive in Paris for the first day of our trip. We unwind, watch people, have a drink at the small concession stand and relax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO