Konigsee vs Zugspitze

Search

Konigsee vs Zugspitze

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Konigsee vs Zugspitze

We are thorn between add a day in Salzburg (we have 3 right now) which mean to cut a night from Munich (4 nights now) or Berlin (5 nights now) and saty it like it is,
We initially plan to do a daytrip to Garmisch to fo at the top of the Zugsptize and after looking for Salzburg we stumble on Konigsee pictures. Now we are wondering whickh one too choose. We know they are not the same but they still offer view in the alps region. We could do both but we are wondering if it would be more or less the same and become a bit boring.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 06:46 AM

No, both are absolutely very different. Königssee is a big (mountain) lake surrounded by the mountains in the Berchtesgadener Land. You can make a boat trip on the lake, then make a nice walk.
Zugspitze is, with its +/- 3000 meter, the highest mounain in Germany in the Bavarian Alps.
A good combination might be the Königssee and the Jenner or Watzmann mountain.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks !

we will be with our 2 childs ( 4 and 8 years old) so we won't travel as fast as we would if we where only 2 adults !

We would like to know how many night we will have to keep for Salzburg (we will arive from Nuremberg) if we want to :

1) visit the town by ourselves

2) go to konigsee (jenner peak)

3) go to Berchtesgaden

4) Visit a saltmine

We plan to arive in Salzburg around noon so we will have the rest of the day to visit the town. which leaves us 2 fulls days to see something else if we stay 3 nights (this place got expensive lodging !)
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 03:40 AM

The Königssee is in the Berchtesgaden district, so maybe your 2) and 3) are the same thing?

In addition to the Königssee and the nearby Jenner mountain, you might want to see the village of Ramsau just to the west. Public transport is good (except on holidays!)

Personally, if time is short, I would visit the Jenner or other areas of Berchtesgaden rather than try to add the Zugspitze.

If I were in the Salzburg area, the first thing I would do is take a bus across the border to Berchtesgaden. Or, even better, I would stay in Bertechesgaden and visit Salzburg rather than the other way round. But that is because I am more interested in the outdoors than in the Mozart birthplace or the Sound of Music. Your interests may be different.

I believe you can find a salt mine on either side of the border.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 03:58 AM

The Königssee is directly in Berchtesgaden-Schönau. It is a fjord-like glacier lake, surrounded by dramatic mountains.

You take the electric boat from Berchtesgaden, sail to the other end of the lake, walk a short distant along a pretty stream to another, smaller lake, the Obersee. You might walk half-round the Obersee. In any case, you go back to the pier, board the boat again and sail to St. Bartholomä. From there, there is a walk to the "ice chapel" with snow and ice year-round. There is also a good, traditional restaurant.

Then you board the next available boat and sail back to Schönau. It would make an incredibly scenic half-day trip.

There is also a salt mine in Berchtesgaden:
http://www.salzbergwerk.de/en

This is the website of the cable car up to the Jenner (also in Berchtesgaden):
http://www.jennerbahn.de/de/englisch/

You have great views from the Jenner, but be aware that the Zugspitze is a much higher mountain.

And there is Hitler's headquarters with a museum and a most surreal extensive bunker, the Obersalzberg.
http://www.obersalzberg.de/obersalzb...ash=89852a3347

In terms of nature, Berchtesgaden has more to offer than Salzburg, so it would make sense to take Berchtesgaden as a base and do a daytrip into Salzburg from there. Berchtesgaden has an excellent choice of accomodation.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 05:04 AM

Zugspitze is my favorite, have been up there three times and it is beautiful. The Partnach gorge is not to be missed, your kids would love both.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 05:35 AM

I took my 4 and 6 year old boys up the Zugspitze 2 summers ago, but it was almost not worth it. Weather had been cloudy and if you get up there and there is cloud cover you see nothing for a lot of money.

We were close enough to Garmisch to head in every morning and talk to Tourist Information. On the 3rd day it was clear, we went up, spent one hour up there, and then the clouds rolled in. There were hordes of people heading up and they weren't going to see much.

We are glad that we went, but had we seen nothing and still shelled out all of the money, it would have been a disappointment.

Just wanted to share that with you. We stopped at the Eibsee on the way down and rented kayaks and the boys swam in the water. We then drove a few minutes to the Frelichtmuseum Glentleiten, an outdoor museum not to be missed. My boys spent the rest of the day there. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it too!

We will be visiting the Koenigssee this summer however, as our friends nearby have said it is a wonderful day trip! Enjoy!