Austria - Semmering

Search

Austria - Semmering

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austria - Semmering

Has anybody visited that location as a sidetrip from Vienna? If so,is it worth it? How do I get there by train and is a day sufficient. Any information would be helpful
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:34 AM

I believe Semmering is mostly about winter sports in winter, and hiking the rest of the year. Would be easy by train. Here is a post I answered with a bit of info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34461652
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you elberko,a lot of general information about Austria on Tiscover.Hadn't ever heard of them before. One can e mail them with specific questions.Hope I get a reply.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Although nice, IMHO Semmering doesn't have as much to offer as the Wachau Valley area of Krems, Durnstein and Melk. Durnstein in itself is a lovely little village perfect for strolling. The Richard the Lionhearted Hotel has a lovely restaurant that sits high above the Danube River with lovely views.

If you do a search here on Fodors for Durnstein or Melk, you will find lots of helpful information.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

bettyk, I have been to the Wachau valley and the places you recommend. I just thought Semmering would be a place I have not seen before. Any other suggestions? What about the Kahlenberg?
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 01:16 PM

When will you be in Vienna? Kahlenberg is a lovely little side trip and much easier than Semmering. In the warmer months, it would be fun to visit a heuriger in the area.

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

bettyk, I'll be there at the beginning of June so that should be about right as far as the Kahlenberg is concerned but is there a Heurigen that time of the year? I always thought it was in the fall. I would love to include it ! Have been to Grinzing but didn't know Kahlenberg area had Heurigen. Tell me more!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Pipsil, I don't remember a heuriger right in Kahlenberg, though I know there are some in the vineyards surrounding Kahlenberg. But, you're right, they are small and may only be open during the wine season.

Another place that might interest you is the Lainzer Tiergarten and Hermes Villa. Here's some info.

Lainzer Tiergarten, A-1130, Wien, Tel: 804 1324, Website: www.museum.vienna.at, U-Bahn: Heitzing, then Tram 60 to Hermesstraße followed by Bus 60B to Lainzer Tor.
This beautiful villa was built by Karl von Hasenauer between 1882 and 1884 as a retreat for the Empress Elizabeth within the Lainzer Tiergarten. The building, which takes its name from the statue of Hermes in the grounds, boasts richly decorated interiors featuring artwork by the famous Viennese artist Hans Makart. The villa now hosts exhibitions for the Vienna Historical Museum. Discount entry with a Vienna Card.

Hermes Villa
http://www.viaimperialis.at/memberpa....php?number=28

http://www.werbeka.com/wien/vhermese.htm

Definitely a nice day trip even though it's still close in.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bettyk, those are really nice websites. Reaching the Lainzer Tiergarten sounds a bit overwhelming.Do you have any idea if the U, tram and bus run frequently? I will be staying in the center of Vienna. May be I am expecting you to know too much but everything I can find out before getting there helps
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Pipsil, I lived in Vienna in the early '80's for a couple of years and really loved it. Have only been back a couple of times on vacation though, so I'm a little sketchy on some details. However, the transportation in Vienna is really good. The buses, trams and trains do run often, especially in the summer, so that shouldn't be a problem.

While in Vienna, I joined the American Women's Association; we did lots of local tours. I remember really enjoying my visit to Hermes Villa. It's something that most tourists don't see.

Did a little more checking and found this info:

Hermes Villa is just ten minutes' walk from the main gates of Lainzer Tor, at the end of Hermesstrasse. To get to the Lainzer Tor, take tram #60 or #61 from Hietzing U-4 to Hofwiesengasse, then it's fifteen minutes' walk or bus #60B down Hermesstrasse.

Or, another route:

http://hotel-fuerstenhof.com/english...inz/Lainze.htm

I wish I could be more help on the specifics, but if you have any problems, many of the young Viennese speak English. I've found them to be very helpful when asked.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

You are being so helpful! bettyk! I tried to find out if the Lainzer Tiergarten is actually a zoo. So far have drawn a blank.The only thing that keeps coming up is Schonbrunn. As far as zoos are concerned that was quite depressing.What is the American Women's Association? How do I find out more about it?For a short visit it's probably not worth joining.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:49 PM

Pipsil, in this case "tiergarten" only refers to it being an animal park. There are still wild boars, deer and other animals in the park but they roam freely. I have never been to the zoo at Schoenbrunn.

The AWA is really for women of all nationalities who find themselves living in Vienna, usually because of their husband's job in the private sector or with a government agency. It helps them to learn about the culture as well as everyday things like shopping and coping in a "foreign" country. Although you wouldn't want to join if you are just visiting, feel free to check out their website: http://www.awavienna.com/.

If there's any other info I can help you with, please email me at [email protected].