Home bases in Sicily

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home bases in Sicily

Our first visit to Sicily for 12 days in mid Sept. Any tips on the best place to stay without having to jump around to lots of different hotels?
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:47 PM
GAC

I Would stay in Palermo, Siracusa and Taormina.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 08:45 PM

We're going for our 6th time in May & agree with GAC - Palermo, Taormina & Siracusa.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:36 PM

We were in Sicily for a week in October.
You can check out our visit on my website: http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/57...ily/sicily.htm

As for bases, you need at least 2, one in the east and one in the west. You will no doubt visit Taormina, which can be used as an eastern base. In the east there is also Syracuse, and of course Mt. Etna. In the center of the island are several ancient sites to visit particularly the Villa Romana. In the west where there are several places to visit and use as a base. Palermo is the biggest city and is conveniently located for the entire western part of the island. Agrigento is also a must and is within driving distance for a day trip from your western base, although it's worth spending a night there to see the Greek temples lit up at night..
Check out my website - it's all there.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Steve your site is wonderful. Just what I needed for Sicily. Molto grazie!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 12:01 PM

I disagree with the above. I'd make it four bases for three nights each -- Palermo, Taormina, Siracusa, and Lipari. The Aeolian Islands are an often overlooked part of Sicily. Is three jumps between hotels too many?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:52 PM
RAR

In 12 days I wouldn't include any islands (Egadi or Aeolian). But I'll echo the others: Palermo (Segesta, Cefalu, Monreale, Mondello, Erice), Siricusa (Ragusa, Noto, Fontane Bianche), Taormina (Etna).

The area you are missing here is the center/south, which would be Enna, Piazza Armeria, Agrigento, Selinunte, Eraclea Minoa. Agrigento would make a nice base for that area but it's a somewhat unattractive city. Same with Trapani (best base for Erice, Segesta, Selinunte, Egadi Islands). Trapani has terrific restaurants however.

My recommendation would be to look into these places, find which ones interest you most, and then coordinate your bases from there.