Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Austria/Germany: better in May/June or September/October?

Old Oct 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am noticing that most of the trip reports for Austria/Germany were for trips during September/October period. We had planned our 2010 trip, connecting through Munich, for May 20 to June 15 (travel by train). In addition to cities (Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck), we want to take cable cars or lifts up to scenic spots, such as Zugspize, Zell am See, villages in Zillertal valley, etc) for some easy hiking and alpine views. I'm concerned that we may be trying to get to mountain resort towns too early in the season and may be dealing with less than optimal weather conditions and/or facilities at less than normal operation. Would we be wise to reconsider our plans for a different time of the year? What conditions will we encounter during spring into early summer?
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 07:26 PM

We had always traveled to Germany & Austria in May but our last two trips have been in September.

For us, the weather has actually been much better in September -- warmer and drier.

While it will be cooler and possibly wetter in May/June, we have traveled to the mountains in Switzerland in mid-May and had no problem with cable cars, lifts or other facilities being closed.

One thing about the weather in Europe is that it is unpredictable. You could hit a period in May or June when the weather is great and you could go in September/October and have cold and rain. It's always a crap shoot.

But for us, we'll probably stick to September/October for our future trips.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Oh, you are welcome to look at our photos and read my latest trip report if you think it will be of help.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ny-austria.cfm

Germany: http://travel.webshots.com/album/575000387NPlKyZ

Austria: http://travel.webshots.com/album/574997901jcmXVZ
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Both seasons are good. Especially in May, it will be springtime with everything in bloom and you will catch some warm and sunny days. Around June 11, there is 89% chance that it becomes pretty cold, so pack a sweater, even it is nice and warm in May.

In May/June, the mountains will be more scenic than in September/October because the snowcaps are larger. However, no more snow on the roads.

All in all, a good time to visit Germany and Austria, especially the Alps.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:33 AM

Late May and June are notorious for lots of rain on the northern side of the Alps. With the recent climate changes those old rules are not reliable any more but still, I would not plan a longer stay in Salzkammergut or Allgäu in that season. A rain shower can last two weeks in one piece.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM

traveller1959, if you want flowers, all you have to do is look at our photos taken in September -- plenty of gorgeous blooms everywhere we went!

In our experience, many of the spring bulbs are pretty much spent by May and some of the public spaces are still in the process of being replanted with spring flowers.

My husband loves taking photos of flowers and some of the best have been in September.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM

I recently returned from an extended cycling and hiking holiday in the Salzkammergut Of Austria starting and ending in Salzburg. Oct. & Nov. have the least amount of rain by far. we depareted on 9-24 and returned on Oct.12. It was quite an adventure and I will eventually post a report.
The scenery was fabulous on a bicycle.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all for your input. It sounds like we should be ok with the trip as planned. I had thought if the input was negative for May/June, we would stay "down" in the larger cities and not try to get up into the mountains on the cable cars and gondolas for hikes and views. But we'll keep it as planned. Oh, also, we will be spending about 4 days in the Dolomites -- I was planning to leave that until during the last 7-10 days of the trip, so that would be into the first part of June for sure. I hope that timing will work out for that region, because we want to do some easy hiking there too. Bettyk: thanks for your trip report and pictures!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 01:55 PM

logogm, I'm sure you will have a great time!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi logogm,

We have done 6 trips since 2001 to Bavaria, Austria and the Dolomites. Just thought I'd add my two cents as for time of year... we love traveling in October. Nice weather, beautiful fall colors and less crowds. This year we went in September and the weather was excellent. Thought you may be interested in our trip reports and photo's. Maybe they will be of help.

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/travel15.html

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nd-austria.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ith-photos.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nd-bavaria.cfm

Paul
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Paul. I had already found your trip report and photos, and actually printed out your most recent "short trip" report to refer to in more detail as I plan our trip. Astounding pictures that convinced me we were spot on re: itinerary for this year's trip. Since you prefer October, are you thinking we will be disappointed in our May/June timing? I could still adjust the itinerary and, as we did for our Switzerland trip 2 years ago, wait till September/Oct for the very reasons I am inquiring about. All the data available to me in planning the Alps of Switzerland advised to wait till Sept (we were based in Berner Oberland, Lucerne, and short stays in Stein am Rhein & Schaffhausen, info we found then said Alps would be wet, muddy, not up and running yet in May/June). Likewise, would you strongly advise us to delay until fall, given our aim to explore Bavaria, Tirol and Dolomites?
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

Our experiences in the spring are from just one trip in 2005. We went the last week of April/first week of May to Austria's Tirol, the Dolomites and Bavaria. I know weather is unpredictable, but we had more rain and cloudy weather then than during any of our October trips. We also noticed that many places were quieter (more places and cable cars closed) in spring as the "season" hadn't begun, perhaps. Just a guess. In late Sept./early Oct. things may be winding down, but we find most things are still open.

What we love about fall travel to these area's is the weather (I can count on one hand the rain days we've had on 5 trips in Oct. since '01), days typically in the 60's and 70's (even had an 80 day or two) and evenings in the upper 40's, plus the fall foliage can be quite spectacular.

Depending on when you'll wind up in the Dolomites, there is a terrific market day (Blattermarkt) the second Monday of October (every year) in Ortisei (Val Gardena). It encompasses the entire old town and runs all day. Vendors selling just about everything imagineable, music plus beer and wine stands and tents.

If interested in this sort of thing, we just missed these "events" in the Zillertal this past Sept.:

http://www.mayrhofen.at/events/event...ash=af29ff4abb

I guess to answer your question more directly... October is our favorite month but late September was teriffic also. Wouldn't go any other time of year (although maybe just once for Christmas someday!).

Paul

ps: This recent report by the "go family" is an excellent resource for public transportation and cable cars in the Dolomites:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-daughter.cfm