Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

auberge st pierre offering me half board?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't hear from Mont St. Michel so I called. They have offered me a room for 90 euros..also offer half board for 80 euros per person. Breakfast if we paid would be 11 euros pp.

Anyway..if anyone has eaten here let me know. Frankly it just sounds easier to do this. I have been reading in my tourbook that none of the restaurants on the mont don't have great food but who knows...

I do need some help with this. I am very happy to have recieved the room.

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:08 AM

I shy away from doing half board, especially if staying somewhere more than a single night, but I suspect that is what your stay is? Sounds expensive to me but I didn't eat there (although we stayed there) so I can't give a fair comment.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Patrick and others..I am not writing very clearly am I?.Yes we are staying at the Auberge St. Pierre one night only. (I hope we make it up the stairs).

You say you stayed there...where did you eat?..
Just curious. One tour book says the breakfast buffet is great. Nothing about dinner.

Thanks..
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Well, I'll be. I looked at my journal and find we DID eat at St. Pierre, but in their garden. That was before the days I started keeping track of what we spent, so I don't know what it cost.
But I see that I wrote:

"ordered alacarte to be able to get the famous rack of lamb raised on the salt marshes, served with pommes frites and beans which looked like cannelini, except they were green and tasted like lima beans. Both had 6 Cancale oysters first. And both had crepes with carmelized apple, flamed with Calvados and served with green apple sorbet. Very nice bottle of Medoc. Great meal!"

By the way, now that I've looked it up, in reference to a previous post of yours, I see that I also wrote:

"they offered to send a porter to the car for our luggage, but we decided that was dumb, and just brought up a backpack with essentials for the one night".

We were in one of their "annexes", a delightful small building way up a lot of steps, with shuttered windows that opened to a fantastic view -- we were kind of glad we weren't in the main building.

I also see we didn't eat breakfast there, but drove on to Dinan and had fresh beignets with rasberry filling and coffee there.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:10 PM

Patrick, we are staying there this summer as well, and then going on to Dinan. I think we do have a room in the annex from the description. Your journal is quite inspiring...
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Patrick..I can't ask for more than that...a review of the restaurant and the menu too! By the way your original comments about staying on the Mont really sold me on doing that.

I think we may go for the half board, but only because I feel we won't have the energy to go marching up the stairs to another place and your recollection of the meal sounds fine.

Wren..when you come home let me know how it was. I think you are going in July???...

I think we are on a lower floor of the hotel as I always ask for that since dh has clastrophobia and we are both older than you youngster. It's hard for us to climb a lot of stairs (we think).

Many thanks..
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I'm hoping my details are still valid. If you had asked I would have said it was "several years ago", but when I looked for the right journal, I discovered that was 1997 -- 8 years ago. My, how time flies!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Hey, wren, will you be at the Ft. Lauderdale gathering on March 5?
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Hi Patrick---we are planning on being at the GTG, and you?

Lois, I will gladly give you my review!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Yea, Lee and I will be there.