Reload this Page >

Film-Best way to pack it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 01:31 PM
fran

<BR>What does the least damage to film: put it in checked luggage; heat! or carry on board; x-ray?

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 07:24 AM
Wanda

Fran, <BR> <BR>A timely question. Yesterday on the Today Show they were talking about traveling with film. According to them many of the airports are using a stronger X-Ray machine these days that will damage film in luggage. There is some kind of bag that you can buy at camera stores to put your film inside of so that it will not be damaged by the X-Rays. I plan on buying one before my next trip in September. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 07:55 AM
howard

I refer you to www.f-stop.org. <BR>It's a website created by a group of professional photographers whose only axes to grind are educating the public on questions such as these.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 08:30 AM
Bridget

Fran, <BR>Most camera specialty stores sell lead-lined film bags. I got one that holds at least 25 rolls of film, but they have them in all shapes and sizes. Hope this helps! <BR>Sincerely, <BR>Bridget

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 10:40 AM
Allan

Best way to handle all photo equipment, including film, is to ask for it to be examined by hand and not subject to the X-Rays. Most security officials will oblige..but it will take longer. As for the lead lined bags, that are sold for film, thry're OK, but high speed film can be damaged. AGain...the best bet is to ask for all your photo gear to be examined by hand.

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 11:07 AM
Sarah

There are lead bags that offer more protection than the usual ones you will find at a camera store. But these are more expensive. The best ones are the fabric ones that have lead woven into the fabric. These are harder to find. I bought mine from Magellan's travel catalog. I carry it just in case the people at the airport don't want to search my film by hand or if I'm late for my flight.

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 04:51 PM
dan woodlief

Ask for it to be handchecked. In the U.S., airport personnel are supposed to honor this request. Overseas, sometimes they will, and sometimes they won't. If they don't, I wouldn't worry too much. You are unlikely to get damage from the carry-on detectors, especially with film under about 800 speed. Do not, by any means, send it in your checked baggage though. I have read several studies showing that this is very risky. In fact, photography groups have protested new tighter carry-on policies instituted by the airlines.

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 07:00 PM
Karen

I've heard a rumor that the special lead-lined pouches that are supposed to protect film don't -- because the people who run the xray machines crank up the xray power so they can see inside your lead-lined pouch. Is there any truth to that or is it just an urban legend?

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 10:29 PM
Ralph

Not an urban legend. Folks have been known to "store" items other than film in those lead lined bags...

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I found this thread, how interesting!

So, pouch or no pouch, the film is still in danger.

We, travellers, can't win!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm.. Interesting... I didn't realize the inspectors had a dial to crank up the power at will. Whether true or not, the film in my lead-lined bag wasn't damaged.