Need help with Loire/Dordogne itinerary

Feb 16th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Need help with Loire/Dordogne itinerary

I confess we are anxious to get to the Dordogne very quickly so will only spend 2 to 3 days in the Loire area. We will be coming from the Mont St. Michel area.

Questions:

After Mont st. Michel can we go directly to Chenenceaux and use it as our base? Or are we missing great things along the way? Would love some opinions. ..I find when I read MIchelin I want to go everywhere. I would never get back home let alone to the Dordogne

Thanks

Feb 16th, 2005, 01:44 PM

We made a similar trip (Dinan-Azay le Rideau) in one day with pleasant stops in Fougeres and Vitre on the way. Would you be "missing great things"?

I guess not.
Feb 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM
ira

Hi lois,

You can't see everything in one trip.

Rather than skimp on the Loire, I would skip it and go from Mt St Michel to St. Emilion outside Bordeaux(about 6 hr).

Spend the night, see the town. Head for the Dordogne. About 2 hr to Sarlat.

Feb 16th, 2005, 01:52 PM

BTW this is how we apportioned our 3 week trip...

Brittanyoireordogne 5:5:10
Feb 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Those were supposed to be colons like this
:
How the did that happen?
Feb 16th, 2005, 02:08 PM
ira

Hi tuck,

You have to leave 2 spaces between a : and the next letter, or else you get a

Feb 16th, 2005, 02:13 PM
brooklandsbuttercup

Sarlat is a fantastic base. Don't miss kayaking on the Dordogne - you get a very different feel for the area that way. The area where the Dordogne and the Vezere come together is also lovely as a day trip.

Feb 16th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Good suggestions..hey Ira...skip the Loire?..you are saying this to a compulsive you know. Seriously..we have to be in Paris on Oct. 10. We would get to the Loire around the 8th or 9th of September.

How long would we be in the Dordogne??? a week???? And would we have time for Provence?
More thoughts are needed.

Next year's trip will be easier as I will know all this.

thanks
Feb 16th, 2005, 02:25 PM

If you stick to your Loire plans, I aggree with Tuck that stops in Vire and Fougères are very worthwhile. Lovely towns, both of them.

Of course, from my standpoint, you can never have too many days in the Dordogne.

The town where the Vézère and the Dordogne come together is Limeuil. I wouldn't consider it a daytrip, necessarily, because it's not far from Sarlat and there isn't all that much there, but it certainly makes a nice stop as you wander west from Sarlat. It's a nice spot to stop and watch the river. Also nice area to go horseback riding in. And the restaurant Le Chai there has an absolutely mind-boggling assortment of ice creams and sorbets!
Feb 16th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

I guess having read these posts I will base in Sarlat......and we can go all over from there?..is that correct? I don't mean all over...I mean to the caves, etc.

That did it...ice cream. It's in my notes.
Feb 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM

Lois, we stayed in Beynac last summer at a wonderful b&b. Very French. The view out our window at night with Castelnaud illuminated was magnificent. The price was great. The breakfast fabulous. La Residence Versailles was the name. I can recommend it without hesitation. The owners were a delight. We ate lunch at La Belle Etoile and it was incredibly good. It was nice staying in such a small town.
Feb 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Wren .... I am copying it to my files...more, more, more!!!

You know I really had expected to stay in 2 star places but I am ending up in 3 star every time.//we can't drive at night to eat (old) so in looking for good restaurants they are usually in the 3* hotels.

Thanks so much..
Feb 16th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

wren...I posted in another place but wanted to ask you..was your place Chambe residences Versailles?..

I got the name of the ice cream place but where did you eat dinner?????

Feb 17th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Hi Lois Chambre Residence Versailles is where we stayed. We ate lunch at La Belle Etoile and it was a fabulous meal. I think it is in the town of Domme right on the Dordogne.
Feb 17th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Sorry, the restaurant is in La Roque Gageac.
Feb 17th, 2005, 01:57 PM
ira

Hi Lois,

>hey Ira...skip the Loire?..<

Better to skip it and see it on another visit (there will be another visit) that to go rushing through.

You can't do everything in one trip.

Feb 17th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Well Ira..I thought 7 weeks with 10 days in Paris was enough to see a lot of the things I wanted to. However, your advice is worth considering.

I will take it up with my other half..the one who lets me do all this grunt work. I have a feeling he wants to see a chateau or two. He adores fois gras so maybe I can sway him.

So then we would go straight from Mont St Michel to the Dordogne..?....which would give us time to get to Provence. We weren't sure of getting there.

Thanks and keep those hints coming..I do listen to all of them.

Feb 17th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

OK at a spousal meeting at dinner we decided to skip the Loire. So now we go from Mont St. Michel to the Dordogne. I guess I will need to post questions about this ... do we just use www.mappy.com or are there routes you advise us to take...

If no answer on this I will post...thanks for your help.

Feb 18th, 2005, 06:34 AM
ira

Hi lois,

I think that 3 days in the Loire is good, 2 days is rushing it.

My reason for suggesting St. Emilion is that you will be in the Bordeaux wine region (if wineries are important) and closer to the Dordogne.

You can also visit Bordeaux for a day.
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:58 AM

loisco: The Dordogne has more than enough castles - your husband won't miss out on castles by skipping the Loire, though he may have to learn to appreciate feudal castles instead of fantasy ones.

There are faster routes, but I'd personally take the coastal route from le MSM to the Dordogne, by way of Rennes, Nantes, and La Rochelle (beautiful town). From La Rochelle head inland to Amgoulème and Périgueux.

Search this Thread