X-ray damage of carry on film and film limits for international travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard some chat recently indicating that new X-rays for investigating carry-on luggage will damage 800 speed film. Can anyone substantiate this? I've also been told that one should now insist on hand checking film.<BR><BR>Also, is there a limit on the amount of film (rolls) you can bring with you on an international visit, and do customs officials tend to enforce this? My question is specific to France at this point as I will be visiting in a few weeks.<BR><BR>Thank you.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:09 AM

As for the xray damaging 800-speed film, mine went through without any problems a month ago. And, I've heard of no reports of damaged film as a result of putting it through with your carry-on luggage.<BR>France has no restrictions on the amount of film you can bring in (or out).
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:21 AM

if you are worried about damage considering in investing in a lead lined film bag. you can purchase at many camera shops for around $15
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Conventional wisdom says 800 and above is more susceptible to xray damage. HowardR did not have a problem, and you may not have a problem. On the other hand, individual machines are sometimes (mis)adjusted differently, so there's always a first time.<BR><BR>We have been forced to put all speeds of film through the xray machine, but our preference is to have it handchecked. We remove film from cardboard boxes and pack it in clear ziplock bags, with the 800 and above in a separate bag. If they will handcheck it all, great. If they will only handcheck the 800 and above, we already have it separated out.<BR><BR>Oh yeah, and allow a little extra time for the handchecking.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 09:04 AM

They will hand check 800 film usually. Don't put ANY in your checked baggage.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:52 PM

I have read on several photography websites to ALWAYS ask for hand inspections of film - never put it through any xray! Especially all films over 400. I have had several rolls of 600 slide film developed with a slightly milky haze from radiation so I'd prefer the inconvenience of hand-checking (it has usually made me totally handchecked, carry-on included.) I'm not sure if they were just irritated by my insisting on hand-checking of film or it is required that if you want something handchecked, everything is handchecked...anyway, I'm always searched when I ask for my film to be checked, but I've had no more problems with the film!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 07:34 AM

Don't count on hand checks. Last year I was refused a hand check at the S.F. airport, but had one done in Chicago on the way back with no problems. In past years hand check was refused in CDG. Get a bag. They vary in quality. I just purchased one, for considerably more than what others have posted as a price, but it claims that up to 800 film can even go in the checked luggage, which I am not going to try.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 07:43 AM

Michael, since we are going to fly out of SFO and home from CDG in May, please clarify. Are you saying they would not handcheck even 800 and faster film at either airport? As I said earlier, we have had them refuse to handcheck slower film, but never 800 or above.<BR>Thanks for replying.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Marilyn, it was 400 film. But as the regulation clearly stated in O'Hare, passengers may request handcheck for any film. SFO refused to honor that, and of course, U.S. regulations do not apply to CDG.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 03:45 PM

Thanks for replying, Michael. Someone (you?) keeps posting the regulations on here that state you have the right to request hand checking. We had a less than pleasant experience last year at LAX and I don't think showing security a copy of the regulations would have made any difference. <BR><BR>However, when push came to shove, they did handcheck the 800 and above. But they made us put the rest through the xray machine. After that we started putting the fast film in a separate ziplock bag to save time.<BR><BR>I think if we shoot anything 800 or higher we'll get it developed before we hit CDG. Anyone know of a good film lab in Paris?