ATM'S IN VENICE !

Search

ATM'S IN VENICE !

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM'S IN VENICE !

HOW MANY DIGIT'S ARE NEEDED TO USE THE ATM'S IN VENICE? 4 OR 6.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Thoughout Europe, 4 digits PINs will always work. I have heard some people say they've been successful using those with more, but wouldn't take the chance.

If your PIN is more than 4 digits, change it before you go.

And just so you know for future reference, typing in all caps is considered "shouting" on the internet.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 04:39 AM
P_M

If your pin # begins with a zero, you must change it in order to use your card in Europe. At least that's what my bank, Bank of America told me.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 04:44 AM
ira

>HOW MANY DIGIT'S ARE NEEDED TO USE THE ATM'S IN VENICE? 4 OR 6.<

I was able to do it with 1 digit -- my forefinger.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Ivy

Anyone know if that's true, about the PIN starting with a "0"? I have used my pin, which starts with a 0, in many countries in europe and never had a problem. I can't imagine Italy being the exception. Anyone know for sure?
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:20 AM
P_M

I only know what Bank of America told me when I inquired about using my ATM card in Europe. I did not ask this question, they brought it up and told me to make sure my pin doesn't begin with zero. I do not have first-hand experience with this since my pin does not begin with zero. Maybe it does work in most places, but to be on the safe side I think it's best to change it to something else that doesn't begin with zero.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:28 AM

This question-number of digits AND the zero issue has come up MANY times before. Try a text search here of Pin number AND Italy.

I changed my pin before going to Venice to a 4 digit # that happened to start with a zero (not knowing this was an issue) and had no problems using it. If you have to change it anyway, why not avoid the zero? The one issue I did have that no one seems to ask about---I had trouble finding a machine that had the same common symbols/logos as my card (cirrus etc.) In the end, I decided to just take a chance & use it anyway & it worked fine.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:43 AM

It's very important to speak with a supervisor, preferably one from the International Currency Exchange division of your bank. Call between regular business hours and be patient and diligent. Finding a human being who actually knows what he/she is talking about will be a challenge. Be sure to mention the countries you plan to visit and take down the person's name and extension (just in case your experience differs from the information provided).

There is an abundance of misinformation on PIN requirements for ATM's in Europe. This forum, in particular, offers many untruths and a variety of individual experiences. The best way to find out your particular truth is to follow my instructions above.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I've had the same debit card with the same PIN from the same bank (ok, they merged 4 times) for over 20 years. My PIN is 6 digits (numbers) and does not begin with zero. I recall only one time (somewhere in the French countryside) where the ATM refused my 6 digit PIN. When I punched in only the first 4 digits of my PIN, the ATM worked.

As a habit, I always punch the 6 digit PIN and 99.9% of the time, the ATM worked. I guess it's possible, if these ATM's require only 4 digits, they automatically disregard the last two digits of my PIN. I've never asked.