Venice card--Essential or Unnecessary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Cross posted with the Europe forum--my apologies to anyone who's seen it twice)

I'm nearly finished planning my trip to Venice next week (*bounces in her desk chair*), though I've run into a snag. Do I or don't I shell out the E73 for an Orange 7-day Venice Card? I'm staying from Monday to Sunday, and will be out of the city on day trips at least once(a visit to the Capella degli Scrovegni in Padua), possibly twice (to Trieste). I love to walk through cities, so I'm not sure that I'd benefit much from the vap discount or what have you. Then again, I've heard there are other perks: museum entrances, a vap that gets you from Marco Polo to the lagoon, etc. The information I have seen is so confusing, from the official website to the guide books and city guides I've consulted. So... what are your experiences with the card? Is it worth the high fee to get one? Should I just grin and bear it? Or did you find you used it very little after you'd purchased it?

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM

I'm not sure why you posted this twice. Both are on the Europe board. There are already answers to your question. If you can't find it, click on your screen name here and it will bring up your other posts.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick:

I cross-posted it to associate it with the Italy string, as I had originally posted it just under the Europe forum and only received one reply. The second message there was me topping it to put it back into circulation, but there was a lot of traffic last night and it got buried quickly. Hence the repost/Italy string.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM

I have never found it economically advantageous to purchase the card. Given that you state you'd prefer walking rather than taking vaporetti and that you'll be taking day trips outside of the city, I don't see where it would save you any entrance fees on the whole. In the past, I've just added up the entrance fees of the sites I planned to visit versus the cost of the card to determine if I "needed" to purchase the card. Hasn't seemed logical yet in my case.

I leave next week for Venice as well. Email if you'd like to meet up for anything: krixsie @ yahoo com
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:44 AM

Reposting to the Italy string doesn't help much because of the way this site works--or rather doesn't work. Those strings only help if someone actually does a search. Most regulars here just scan the threads listed on the left since the search function is so cranky. That's why an effective title like yours is much more important than reposting.

For numerous trips to Venice I never found any Venice Card to be of value. A 72-hour vaporetto pass might be helpful for part of your visit since it is truly for 72 hours and so can be spread over 4 days if your plan well.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:49 AM

We've visited Venice several times, and I think we've maybe taken the vaporetto a collective total of two times. We just prefer to walk - there's so much to see on every little street!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much! This is exactly what I needed to know, and it'll save me heaps, I'm sure. krixsie, you'll find an email coming your way.