Reload this Page >

Atlantic Hotel in Paddington

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2002, 05:53 PM
nan

Does anyone know about this hotel? Comments? Good for young couple?

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Jayne

I looked in the Atlantic Hotel, and at first I too was interested as the price for an ensuite room looked really appealing. However, after some investigation I found out that it is really more a Hostel than a Hotel. If you are young and of the backpacker crowd then it may suit you. Also on the web site the rooms look a little dreary - dark blue walls in a small space are not my idea of creating a soothing place to lay your head.<BR><BR>What's your budget? - How long are you going for? - Where do you want to be?

Old May 12th, 2002, 03:19 PM
nan

Since the Atlantic is 65 pounds I guess up to 80 or 90 pounds would be acceptable. We just want to keep it conservative. As far as an area, it does not matter so much as if it is safe, comfortable, decent eating area near/and or near the tube. Thanks.

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Jayne

Ok I'm probably going to get slammed for this...<BR><BR>Yes, you can go the hotel route.. The Georgian Hotel on Baker Street - good location - reasonable prices etc. (if it's not already booked).<BR><BR>http://www.londoncentralhotel.com/index.html<BR><BR>Also some other poster says to go to a site called I think:<BR><BR>www.smoothhound.com for good deals.<BR><BR>If you are a young couple not much money you could try halls of residences - university rooms that are let out in the summer. There are many around London in various states of comfort and decor.<BR><BR>My final choice due to finances, time and location was the hall in Notting Hill Gate (part of Imperial College). If you stay in the South Kensington Campus which is newer, excellent - you will have to share a bathroom with ~3 other rooms.<BR><BR>In the Notting Hill residences it's an older building, but I believe clean, basic and has ensuite shower & toilet (a must for me!). The Notting Hill residence is often used by universities from aboard when they are putting together their summer trips. However, you will find all sorts of people - foreign students, backpackers and people that just want a cheap deal like myself. It's basic living, but if you're on a budget - want a reasonable area to stay - then I think it's a good deal.<BR><BR>Check it out...<BR><BR>http://www.ad.ic.ac.uk/conferences/<BR><BR>Also, somebody else put this site up recently that might be of interest (don't think they have ensuite bathrooms tho')<BR><BR>http://londonvicaragehotel.com/#intro

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Jayne

Just checking the frommers site (ouch!)<BR><BR>This likes a pretty neat place to stay!<BR><BR>www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~cufra/pages/gatehotel.html<BR><BR>From frommers it says:<BR><BR>Located in popular Notting Hill across from Johnny Depp's new digs is the odd little Gate Hotel (6 Portobello Rd.; 0207/22-07-07, fax 0207/221-91-28; Tube or Bus 12, 27, 28, 31, 52, 94 to Notting Hill Gate; [email protected], http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~cu...atehotel.html; &pound;60 single, &pound;78 double; AE, V, MC). Run by a hysterically funny couple, the Gate is a most pleasant place to stay. In addition to attractions like the Portobello Road Market, the hotel keeps its very own celebrity, a parrot named Sergeant Bilko. Highly recommended"<BR><BR>I wonder how long this post will be kept up. By the way, turn off your speakers the music will drive you nuts.

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:38 PM
ggrant

Hello, once again I will post my favorite budget hotel in London. I tried several before I found a good one. It is the Balmoral House Hotel at 156 & 157 Sussex Gardens near Paddington. You can easily roll your luggage from Paddington Heathrow express to the hotel if you are not completely loaded down. It has no elevator but is very clean and neat in appearance. Done in english florals. Beds have two pillows per person, bathroom is very small but in good working order with lots of hot water, shampoo and hairdryer furnished, and a tray with tea and coffee facilities. There is an armoire in each room for your clothes. A very nice full breakfast is included. The rates are 60 to 65gbp per double. The owners are very nice, A young couple Harry and Begonia and his parents. Look at the website www.balmoralhousehotel.co.uk<BR>The telephone number is 44 (0) 207 723 7445. You can email them for informtion and reservations. I stay there every trip to London. There is a good family run italian restaurant the San Marco, I think the name, accross the street and pubs, indian food, and fast food nearby. I feel safe there even when solo.