London hotel with tudor decor

May 11th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

London hotel with tudor decor

I've asked a similar question in the past, but there are new people now... and some might have other info...

I'm looking for a nice, tudor-decor hotel room in London for my honeymoon in September. It needs to be near a tube station, with a king or queen sized bed, and preferably a nice big tub. Any recommendations? Oh, and don't bother with the £500 a night places, we're not independently wealthy. I'm looking for something that normally goes for under £300 a night... thanks!
May 12th, 2003, 04:11 AM

The Milestone Hotel in Kensington (part of the small Red Carnation group) might be a suitable option. It is in a good location, overlooking Kensington Palace and just a 4 min walk from the Tube.

It is a small, intimate hotel with excellent service. All the rooms in the hotel are different. They do have a Tudor Suite (a stunning room), although this will be over your budget. However, check to see if they have standard or studio rooms (which should just be within your budget) decorated in the style you are looking for. The beds are of a comfortable size, although I can't remember if they are king size. The bathrooms are generally fairly small but do have tubs.

An alternative might be the Stafford Hotel, although the rooms are perhaps more English country house than Tudor in style. Deluxe / King size doubles should be within your budget. It is in a quiet, yet central, location just a few minutes walk from Green Park tube.
May 12th, 2003, 04:18 AM

Greendragon, out of curiousity, what do you consider Tudor decor? I know what Tudor means for the outside of a building but am unclear what you have in mind for "decor"? I picture dark wood furniture but what else?
May 12th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Dark wood furniture, tapestry-like fabrics, 'old english' feel. I don't really care for flowery frilly chintzy stuff, but the deep toned, elegant stuff you might find in a gentleman's study of the last century
May 12th, 2003, 02:47 PM

I first had to laugh - "Tudor" style in my mind would involve freezing cold, stone loos on the windowsills (or worse), no forks on the dining tables but plenty of dogs under them...

But live and learn... http://www.gorehotel.com/bedrooms/index.cfm?Section=2 Nice place, the Gore. Bring money.
May 12th, 2003, 08:13 PM
CalgirlSusan

I remember you from the silly bunch of posts before, when you went from wanting a fantastic place to a dirt cheap place. And when do you remind us that you and your future husband each weigh something like 300 pounds?
And what happened to all the great suggestions you got before?

May 12th, 2003, 10:36 PM

Gardyloo:
I think you mean "Lancastrian" or "Yorkist": there are forks even in the inventories of Henry 7.
But I'd like to know which Tudor monarch - or merchant - had "the deep toned, elegant stuff you might find in a gentleman's study of the last century".
I think the question refers to Mock-Tudor. The stuff pub chains used to use in those 1970's refits.
May 13th, 2003, 04:59 AM

Tudor style usualy refers to architecture. Indoors the Tudors had to make do with rushes on the floor,
freezing cold rooms, poor sanitation,tapestries and bed hangings that helped keep out the cold,
and massive furniture. Even the architecture includes small windows, creating dark rooms. There is an example of a Tudor bed in the V&A and a couple of pieces in Hampton Court--other than size the decor is not much in the way of attractive. No wonder you never see it in style magazines.
If you want a little bit of "ye olde England" I think you'd have to move up to decor from William and Mary's time, and forward.
May 13th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

OK, I stand corrected -- interior design is NOT my strong point

William and Mary or Mock-Tudor it is...I guess I just associated that with what I know of Tudor exteriors because of the dark wood beams, etc.

As for CalGirlSusan... my 'silly' posts before provided a bunch of information, and I am thankful for it. And yes, my husband is over 300 pounds -- that has to do with this how???? And for your information, I have found several of the 'fantastic places' I was looking for for under y120 a night. I am now refining my search and looking for other options as well. So, if you please, take your 'silly' criticisms elsewhere, and let those with constructive information post, rather than fruitless censure. (I'll give you some time to look that word up...)