Athenstudio

Jan 10th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Athenstudio

Hello,

My family ( parents, husband and two kids 3 and 5) are planning a trip to Athens. We want to stay there for a week and have located the Athenstudios.com website. The apartment I am interested in is located here
http://www.athensstudios.com/page15.html
near Kolonakis. The person answering the phone said that it is very near to the Hilton. Can someone tell me about the area? Is it family friendly? Any info would be much appreciated. We are going end of March by the way.

D.

Jan 10th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Central Athens is very busy all the time, lots of auto/taxi/bus traffic and pedestrians. Kolonaki is one of the upscale neighborhoods near to Syntagma Square. There are lots of nice shops and boutiques. Family-friendly? Yes, in an 'inner-city' sort of way.
Jan 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM

on the map, is it the light green square near where it says Pangrati or the red square to the left of where it says Kolonaki?? The Pangrati one would be nearer the Hilton, but isn't in the area called Kolonaki. Do you know the precise street on which the apartment that interests you is located?

PS: To the extent that "inner city" refers to run-down, ghetto-y areas of major cities, Kolonaki does not fall within that description. It is in the heart of a major city, with buildings lining narrow streets and many, many expensive stores, outdoor cafes and a few small parks. Here is an accurate description of Kolonaki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolonaki
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Eleni,

The red dot is the apartment. I think the street's name is Panepistimi.

Also, does the law require kids to be in car seats? We are looking at transportation from the airport to the apartment and cannot find any information on it.

Thanks,

Desire..
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Panepistimiou is one of the major streets in downtown Athens. From the picture on the athensstudios website, the apartment must be on one of the small side streets, perhaps between Panepistimiou and Akadimias Streets? Here is a better map of downtown Athens for you: http://www.athensguide.com/map/athens.htm
If you look a couple inches to the left of where the big letters Kolonaki are printed, you will see the approximate location of the apartment.

For me, this would be a great location. It is very centrally located and within easy walking distance of most anything you would want to see. You will need to cross major streets to get most places, but that is to be expected in a major city (on the above-linked map, the major streets are in yellow). You will be very near the National Gardens which is a nice green space for the kids. In terms of location, it's hard to see how this isn't a great one. I should say I don't have kids, so am not the best person to address the degree to which a location is child friendly. (I did spend a couple weeks with a nine-year-old in this neighborhood, and she was particularly taken with feeding the pigeons outside the Parliament building, which is right by the apartment you are considering.)

You are also very close to the metro which can make getting around much easier. It is a easy trip from the airport to Syntagma Square (the metro stop closest to the apartment). No change of trains is required.

As for car seats, again I don't have kids, but in the 25 years I have been going back and forth to Greece, I have seen one once. Seat belts are required, and I have been told there are laws about young kids sitting in the front seat of cars, but car seats seem to be the exception rather than the norm. If you are renting a car and want a car seat, this is something you should book well in advance and specifically confirm with the company that they actually have one. (I assume you don't plan to drive from the airport to downtown, but if you are, I'd encourage you to reconsider.)

By the way, at 17 Panepistimiou Street (very near the apartment) is the multi-story Eleftheroudakis Bookstore, which is wonderful. It has many English language books on the mezzanine, fabulous cookbooks on the 2nd floor, and a cafe and bathroom on the sixth floor. I never miss it!
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

WoW! Eleni, thank you so so much for the detailed information, I so appreciate it.

D.
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Glad to help!
If you do stay there, when you get back, I hope you post what it is like.
Have fun!
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Desireesun,

Are you sure it is the red box? This one sounds small for your group. I looked at one they said was by the Hilton which sleeps up to 7, but that one turned out to be way behind the Hilton, closer to the concert hall.
If it is one in Pagrati, that area sounds great for families. We rented an apartment near the a park (Pagrati Grove), which has a playground for the kids. I don't know if you saw that apartment, we rented it from Greek Vacation Rentals (athenspenthouses.com), but I've done alot of research and seems like it will be a very family friendly area.
Jan 17th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Hello hskol,

Here is the address
Studio 4.4.1. next Kolonaki, Athens Center, "Evfroniou 37-39", hilton area athens. (Evfroniou street 37-39).
Hope this is a good place.

Thanks,

D.
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:53 PM

If it is on Efroniou, it is not the apartment marked by the red box, and is NOT in Kolonaki. To locate the apartment, go back to the Athens map http://www.athensguide.com/map/athens.htm (The spellings don't exactly match because of the difficulty of transliterating Greek into English.)

On the far right of the map, you will see an area called Ilissia in big letters (just to the right of where the map says Kolonaki in big letters). Right below where it says Ilissia, you will see Ilission Park. Effroniou is a yellow street just below the park (part of Effroniou Street is white on the map). FYI, the Hilton is a little below and to the left of where it says Ilissia on the map.

So ignore everything I said about Kolonaki because it's not where you are staying!!!

So what about where you are staying? It depends where exactly you are on Efroniou Street -- I'm not familiar with the exact address, but would guess it is close to the cross street named Iofantos (you may want to ask for the name of the closest cross street). If that is the cross street, it's not my favorite part of Athens to stay in as a visitor, but it isn't horrible either. You will probably have a fine time staying there.

Check back when you find out the cross street!

Jan 18th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Eleni,

The closest crossing street is "Vassileos Alexandrou street".

Can you tell me now what you think?

Thanks,

D.
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:41 PM

OK, it's the dark green box. Mystery solved!!

Staying at this apartment presents the question of what is more important: convenient location vs. cost vs. appropriateness of your living space.

As far as convenience goes, you will be a little far away from the attractions most people want to see in Athens. You are about 0.4 mile away, mostly uphill, (10 minutes) from the nearest metro stop (Evangelismos). If you wanted to walk instead of taking the metro, you are about 1.5 miles away from the Acropolis (1/2 hour or so) and Plaka, and 1.2 miles away from Syntagma Square. Keep in mind that these distance are based on walking along major thoroughfares, something you may not want to do with small children. If you walk on streets with less traffic, the distance is longer.

On the other hand, you will be paying 115 Euros a night for six people, for what looks like a pleasant apartment, which is a defintely a bargain in anything close to Central Athens. You will also have a kitchen, which will be nice for breakfasts and snacks for the kids, plus room for the kids to run around. These are all positives for the apartment.

More on the cost issue. If you went to a hotel, you no doubt would have to rent two rooms. At the Ava Hotel (which has suites and larger rooms than many other Athens hotels), for example, you would need to pay double or triple what you are paying for the aparment. See: http://www.avahotel.gr/rates.htm

So, if money is an important factor and you are able to manage the distance, the apartment may be a good choice. If you'd like to be a little closer in, and located where you can avoid walking on major streets, you might want to find someplace else.