Athens September 28/29

Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Athens September 28/29

Hi, we will be in Athens on September 28/29 as part of our honeymoon which has stops in Athens/Mykonos/Santorini/Rome/Venice.

We will arrive in Athens on September 28 at 7h15 am and will leave on September 30 at 9h00 am. We are staying at the Hilton.

We would like help to plan these 2 days. We are not into museums or churches, but we will walking around and taking pictures. We like to sit, relax, have a beer and people watch.

We would also love restaurant recommendations

How would you plan these 2 days and what are the main tourist attractions you would include?

Monday September 28
Tuesday September 29

Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 05:42 AM

One of the main attractions I would include is the world-class National Archeological Museum with 3,000 years of Greek history, art and culture. But if you're not into museums, I'd focus on the Acropolis, the Roman Agora, the Stoa of Attalos, and the Ancient Agora - all of which are in the same general area and could be done in a day.

As for walking around and people watching, suggest you concentrate on the areas of Plaka, the more upscale Kolonaki, and Syntagma Sq. Plaka has some touristy aspects, but there are plenty of good outdoor cafes, shops etc in all 3 areas to keep you occupied and relax and enjoy yourselves.

For some nice views, take the funicular up to Mt Lycabettus.

As for restaurants, click on my name and look at my day to day trip report from last fall. Has info on restaurants, etc for Athens as well as Santorini (total of 7 days in Athens and 3 in Santorini).
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks for the response! We are also stopping in Santorini for 3 nights, so I'll read your report
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:07 AM

As you arrive in Santorini probably by ferry you will have the choice to go up the steep incline of the crater by tram or donkey. For the experience take the donkey. While Fira holds the usual attractions for the tourist you would do well to take the bus to Oia on the other end of the island. There you will see the representative white buildings with blue roofs and while an attraction it's far enough out of the way for most tourists. It has the nicer hillside hotels as well. be prpared to walk down to the village of Ammoudi for lunch.take a sailboat ride around the crater of Santorini, www.santorinisailing.com. Dependent upon where you are staying be advised that there are few taxi's
Mykonos seems to be for the young but search out the different beaches available. Rent a scooter and tour the island.
Rome is Rome and much is available. I've always enjoyed staying near the Spanish Steps. If this is your first time then there is everything to see. For restaurants I think it is best to stay away from the known tourist areas and eat down the side street and smaller venues.
The same can be said of Venice. St Marks square demands a premium for service and food. Explore the outskirts for restaurants while venturing to St Marks for the Duomo and sights.
Just a fewgeneral hints that I've experienced
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! We will arrive in Santorini by plane and we are staying in Oia. I think we will do the boat tour or sailing one of the days and the winery tour the other day...and keep the day of arrival to just relax/explore....we'll fit in the walk to Fira in there somewhere...
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM

There is no tram or donkeys at the ferry port, and if you're tempted someplace else on the island PLEASE don't ride the poor, abused donkeys!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM

I've stayed at the hilton before and thought it was a good location, convenient to the metro system which is pretty easy to ride (plus a number of stops have excavations which is cool.).

One of the best meals I've had in my life was at Spondi, definitely good for a honeymoon.

The new museum next to the acropolis was not open when I was there but I wouldn't miss that if I was to go again. Also enjoyed walking up Filopappos Hill, next to the acropolis. got some great photos up there.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

If all the "highlights" can be done in 1 day, is there a daytrip we could do for our second day? Is there a nice island that is very close by you could go for just a few hours?
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:34 AM

Can't answer your specific question, but IMO the "highlights" can not be done in 1 day. There's just too much to see and do. Since you're already going to Santorini, I'd enjoy Athens with the time you have.