Search

"must do's" in Athens and Santorini?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"must do's" in Athens and Santorini?

hi!

my husband and I are vacationing in Athens and Santorini in mid-May. We are spending 2 nights in Athens and 4 nights in Santorini.

Having read some posts on here tonight, it looks like 4 nights on Santorini might be too long... and we've already booked!

So, what are some "must do's" in Santorini that will keep us busy for 5 days?

Also, is mid-May warm enough for swimming at the pool or even at the beach??

thanks!

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM

My experience mid-May was warm enough for swimming in pool but not for the sea.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM

I don't know why you would think 4 nights on Santorini is too much!! That's just barely enogh IMO.
You could spend a day in Oia, checking out the shops and the port of Amoudi.
At least a day in Fira - at the shops, churches and museums (eg the Thira foundation with copies of the famouns wall frescoes). A day on the beach side of the island and also see ancient Thira and ancient Akrotiri (recommended). If you wanted you could take a boat out to the volcano. Check out a winery. Explore the fortress at Imerovigli.
Most of all, relax, enjoy the fabulous views, the food, drink, music and nightlife, and the people.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:20 AM

I agree with taggie. We were there last year for 5 days and I felt that wasn't enough. There's lots to see and do. Check with Kamari tours near the bus station.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Take the donkey ride up the caldera. Be sure to hang on for your life because the hairpin turns can be terrifying, at least they were for me. But a wonderful memory. Have fun.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:02 AM

In Athens the standard "must-sees" are the Parthenon and the Plaka below it, the National Archaeological Museum and the sunset from the top of Lycabettus Hill after the ride up on the funicular from Kolonaki.

On Santorini you can visit Akrotiri, the well-known archaeological dig, take a half-day excursion in the caldera that includes the lava island in the center and a stop on the neighboring island of Therassia. The afternoon excursion includes a stop in Oia for the sunset.

There's also a sunset dinner cruise:

http://www.windmillstravel.com/touro...?id=50&rel

There are some cliffside hiking pathways and you can visit Ancient Thira on the mountain above Kamari Beach.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Hike up to see ancient Thira. It is one of the most breathtaking sights I've ever witnessed. Walking about the ruins without many other tourists is amazing. The excavations continue there with so much yet to be unearthed. Don't miss a tour of Akrotiri. Hopefully, it will be open then with a guide. When we visited last April the guides had not yet arrived. They were still busy teaching in the University of Athens where they spend the winter. We did a self-guided tour using our Fodor's book as help.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:41 AM
JFlorides

No way is 4 nights too much! Do everything brotherleelove says, he knows his stuff! You can spend days just being amazed by Santorini and its cliffs. I would also try to see the red beach, you can walk down to it from opposite the entrance to Akrotiri (it's a bit of a hike) or go by boat. It's a rich red coloured beach just hewn from the cliffs either side. Looks stunning. Try one of the relaxed sunset cruises on a tall ship where you can swim in the warm (muddy!) waters of the caldera, and stop to watch the sunset and see the sailors climb the rigging to unful the sails before sailing back to Fira town. Go to Oia to watch the sunset some evening, and go early so you have time to wander in its winding streets and browse the hundreds of tiny art galleries.

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:52 AM

There's a quaint little red beach below Oia as well, called Ammoudi. If you're fit enough for the trek you can walk down (and then back up!) the steps for lunch at Katina's.

Correction: There are not "hundreds" of tiny art galleries in Oia, it just seems like it!!