Athens & Greek Islands

Search

Athens & Greek Islands

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Athens & Greek Islands

I am planning a trip to Athens and the Greek Islands for September 2009. We will probably fly into Athens, spend a day or 2 there and then spend a few days each on 2 or 3 islands and then return to Athens to fly home. We haven't figured out our exact dates, but I think we will spend around 10 days.

I need suggestions on which islands would be best to base ourselves out of. We are thinking Santorini and then one or two others. We're looking for nice scenery and beaches, with some cultural stuff mixed in. I would like to maybe fit Turkey in as well, if possible.

Any thoughts on a good itinerary? Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM

You might want to read over the post by NYExplorer - I think combining Greece and Turkey is more difficult than you would expect. We decided to do a cruise that startes in Athens and ends in Istanbul - wwe won't get as much time on the islands but we will get to experience both countries
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM

my advice is to stick with 10 days in greece. i am going for 10 days as well, but this coming may. originally, i wanted to check out least two islands (naxos or mykonos), but decided to spend the whole time in santorini because (1) there are a lot of interesting things to do and see in santorini compared to naxos and (2) i am not interested in the nightlife in mykonos. so, my final itinerary is: 1 night athens, 5 nights santorini, 2 nights nafplio/epidaurus/mycenae/tiryns, and the last night in athens.

fyi, i wanted to go to both turkey and greece too, but for 14 days visiting athens, istanbul, cappadocia, bodrum, rhodes, santorini. i quickly found out that it wouldn't be a very "relaxing" vacation as it requires taking so many flights and ferries. i think turkey alone deserves 10-14 days.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Turkey is not absolutely necessary. I just thought it would be nice, but if it's too inconvenient, I will stick to Greece. Any suggestions on islands other than Santorini? I don't generally like just staying in 1 place for a whole trip. I am interested in nightlife. Would Mykonos and Santorini be good?
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM

i think a lot of people will say that mykonos and santorini are similar in that it is very touristy, commercial, etc. and going to both would be somewhat repetitive, but if you don't mind and want to party, i think mykonos would be a good choice. you can also do a day trip to delos from mykonos, which has some very fascinating ruins.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I'd rather not go somewhere repetitive. Maybe Santorini and then somewhere off-the-beaten track would be better? I'm interested in nightlife in theory, but I said that when I went to Bali too, and I didn't end up going out at night at all there, so I'm not going to plan my trip around it. I'm really more interested in getting a nice sample of what the greek islands have to offer. So actually, I might want to pick an island that has alot of accessible daytrips, so that I can see more of the islands?
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:54 PM

My favourite islands are Santorini and Mykonos so I'd start with Mykonos (go by ferry from Piraeus port or by airplane, the island has an airport) stay there for a couple of days and then head to Santorini which is magnificent! If you have time visit Ios which is close by, or Anafi and then go back to Athens. For more info on all the Greek islands take a look at this website, I think it is great and very helpful!
http://www.greek-islands.us/
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I've done a bit of research now, and I am thinking Crete might be good for my 2nd island. Now I need suggestions on where to stay/what to do.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Crete is HUGE. You should check out Rhodes. I had a blast there. We rented a car and drove all over the island. Old Town was by for one of the coolest things I have seen. There are so many neat ruins. Lindos was really pretty also.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 03:16 AM

Last year we did a similar trip in late Sept. Flew to Athens and then right to Chania, Crete. Stayed there 6 nights (with friends outside of Rhetymnon), ferry from Herkalion to Santorini, Oia for two nights, flew to Athens for last 2 nights. It was our first trip to Greece and we loved the variety of places we saw. Crete is huge, but both Chania and Rhetymnom were nice small cities. Lots of day trips available. If I'm doing this right, here is our trip report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...riniathens.cfm. If the link doesn't work, search my screen name or Trip Report: Crete/Santorini/Athens. If I had any regrets, it would be needing another day in Santorini and another day in Athens. But then again, the whole reason for this trip was the offer of a free place to stay on Crete so we spent as much time there with our Belgian friends as possible.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 06:59 AM

I am with CindyJ -- the most time-efficient itinerary for your cruelly-short visit to fly to Crete immediately from airport on arrival. You stated your interests included beaches, nightlife, scenery with some culture mixed in. My comments regarding that list:

(1) Chania is loveliest town in Crete, 2nd loveliest in all Greece (#1 is Nafplio). BEACHES: those on Crete are sublime in Sept. Hotels in Old Town itself do not have beaches ... there is a town beach about 1/2 mi walk west of Old town wall, but it's small. A wonderful place to stay is just 10-15 minutes by local bus West ... Hotel Ammos; pool right on beach! TA reviewer raves. NIGHTLIFE: Apparently splendid! (I don't stay up that late anymore)... clubs/bars galore full of gilded youth dancing the night away -- but tourists don't know because it is a few steps beyond Old Town! Go to far-east end of old town harborside, venture 100 yards or so beyond, on the waterside, and there you are, Party Central! SCENERY --U can rent car by day cheaply, drive down Topolian or Imbros Gorge rim (the views!!)... or via car/bus, go to traditional village of Vamos, do walks in countryside thru wonderful scenery. CULTURE -- Chania rich in history/culture, also the general area.

(2) SANTORINI - To get there, drive or take early AM bus to Heraklion dock for 9:45 fast ferry (arrive 11:45). I always get flamed for this, but I think 48 hours is enuff! SCENERY - that is what this isle is all about now; caldera view terrific. NIGHTLIFE: good idea to stay in Firostephani, serene & quiet, walk to Fira Town & its clubs easily. Oia more pricey, less accessible, visit Oia early in AM for the light & to beat the cruise ship crowds. BEACHES: black & gritty. CULTURE: Island pretty much touricized, non-English speakers rare. Its significant ancient site, Akrotiri, closed. Dont miss excellent prehistory Thira museum.

(3) ATHENS - when u go there last, after being in Greece awhile, ancient landmarks will resonate for you more; also, you'll be better at navigating sightseeing. Visit Acropolis in early AM, beat the bus crowds. Don't miss NEW Acropolis museum! A good D-I-Y tour outline is on Website of Rick Steves (whom I don't usually favor, but this is clear & good). Regarding souvenirs -- in Crete only get things that are unique to Crete, otherwise save time & lugging by doing "generic" souvenir shopping (calendars etc) for Athens in handy Plaka shops,
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help! I am going to have to postpone this trip indefinitely because of work issues , but at least now I have an idea what I want to do when I get the chance.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 10:12 PM

book something on the caldera side if you go to santorini
it is worth it just for the views