Suggestions for Honeymoon to Greece

Old Mar 20th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Honeymoon to Greece

Hello all,

I am planning for a trip to Greece for my honeymoon in the month of May. I will be reaching Athens on 10th May and would leave on the 22nd May.

My plan is as follows:

1 Night - Athens
2 Nights - Mykonos
4 Nights - Naxos
3 Nights - Santorini
2 Night - Athens .

Is the plan ok ? Should i do Santorini first and reverse the order or should i keep it for the last ? Should i spend 4 nights in Naxos or 4 Nights in Santorini ??

PLease help guys
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Hotels list is as follows:

Mykonos : Myconian Ambassadar Reliax and Spa
Naxos : Finikas
Santorini : Delfini Villas (Oia)

Any comments ??
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 12:39 AM

Your itinerary looks good to me. The only suggestion I would make is to go by connecting flight directly to your first island upon arrival in Greece. That way you will save one trip in and out of Athens, and gain an extra night on the islands. A flight from Athens takes 45 minutes, about the same time it takes to get from the airport to central Athens. If you wish to go by ferry you will probably have to spend that first night in Athens, although there are afternoon ferries from Rafina (near the airport) to Mykonos.

It doesn't really matter which order you do the islands, but many people like to start with the one furthest away (Santorini) and work their way back to Athens.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 02:55 AM

Among your 3 islands, Naxos is my own favorite, but at first glance I would say make allocate 3 nights on each island rather than cut short one upon another. 3 nights come down to 2 full days really... You do not mention what your motivation is to visit those islands of course and answer depands on that, but generally speaking, it's a shame going all the way to Mykonos to have only 1 full day.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much Heimdall and mariha2912

@ Mariha : i completely agree to you, but i have a weird reason to go to mykonos...

i read all the posts related to greece before and it says Mykonos is over-hyped.. while Naxos has more things to see and do..however, as mentioned in posts here all postcards of greece are straight out of Mykonos so we though we should atleast see what it is rather than missing it completely.. we do not want to explore much here but just get a feel of it..

P.S im still confused if i should spend 4 days in Naxos and 3 days in Santorini or vice versa..Please help guys...
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

@ heimdall - we are reaching athens at around 2 PM and after travelling 24 hours straight which includes a 10 hour halt in dubai.. so the first day we just want to rest in athens.. i guess after our mariiage and the hectic flight we would just wanna rest for a day and catch a good nights sleep to rejuvenate for our trip ahead..

the flight to mykonos is at 6:45 PM, that implies waiting 4 more hours at the airport.. i guess me and my wife would eat each other up before we reach mykonos...lol...
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 01:01 PM

That's a good reason for spending the first night in Athens. If you don't mind the expensive hotel bill, stay the night at the airport Sofitel hotel and catch the first available flight to Mykonos the next morning, giving you the full day on Mykonos.

An alternative would be to stay at Rafina (30 minutes from the airport) and catch one of the early morning ferries to Mykonos. I've stayed at both the airport Sofitel and Hotel Avra in Rafina, and can recommend either. Rafina has some very nice fish tavernas, and rooms in the Avra have views of the harbour. It's only about a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the ferry docks. The SeaJet 2 catamaran from Rafina will get you to Mykonos in about 2 hours, or if you go by conventional ferry about 4 hours. Either will be cheaper than a flight.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:45 AM

jain9kunal,
Just to let you know, my husband and I have stayed at Delfini Villa twice and loved it!
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:04 PM

Actually most Greek postcards come with Santorini pics (white cube houses, caldera cliff, blue church domes) than Mykonos pics (white cube houses, windmills and/or houses by the water or fishing boats). I think over-hyped or not, any island deserves a few days, plus I would definitely try to visit Delos while on Mykonos...
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 11:43 AM

Hello jain9kunal .My best wishes for your new life.
Your plan is ok , but i thing if you change myconos with paros you can goin directly from paros o Naxos and then Santorini or (better choise) Santorini ,Naxos and then Paros and from Paros to Peraeus (Athens).This way you have freedom in the days of your travel because From Myconos to Santorini its not every day ferrie line in May.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

thanks all for the reply..

also, i am confused between filotera villas and delfini villas in santorini ?? can anybody guide me on the same ??
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 08:35 AM

They're next door to each other so the view is the same. Both are excellent hotels. You won't be disappointed with either of them.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 11:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
To answer your earlier question, I suggest more time in Naxos than Santorini.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks brotherlee and happytrvlr..

Also, could anybody suggest a nice hotel in Naxos. My budget is around 80 Euros a night... I'm thinking of Finikas, just that its a little too far from action..also, im goin in may..i dont want to be the only one on the beach with my wife...hahah
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:57 PM

On May I would stick with Naxos Town+St George area...
You may want to check Xenia Hotel, Naxos Resort, Astir of Naxos,or even Alkioni and Porto Naxos.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mariha,

Mariha, could you please also tell me about the weather in Greek islands in May ?? Also, would it be near to empty in May ??
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:41 AM

We stayed here for a week in 2011 and loved it:
http://www.hotelspiros.com/
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 02:25 AM

Middle May is quiet, but not near empty..You picked popular islands anyway.
Weather-wise, no one can predict. Usually you expect sun shine and warm weather, you might need a light jacket on the evening though...
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:39 PM

I think you have a good plan for your honeymoon. Your division of nights in each locality looks fine too. I ALWAYS like to stay my first night in Athens despite other opinions. It's a long long flight for some of us, and getting your feet on the ground feels great before moving on to the islands. Seeing the Acropolis and dining in the Plaka is our favorite first night of vacation. The only change I would recommend would be to stay on Santorini first as the ultimate spot to chill out after your wedding.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your reply paros-blue..

I like your idea of staying in Santorini first...but we want to save the best for the last...thats how Indians are..haha.. we have our main course and save the desserts for the last..so we're keeping it for the last..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -