Search

At last!!!! It's my turn!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At last!!!! It's my turn!!!

Hi Fellow Fodorites,
Have loved this sight for so long and living vicariously the holidays of others, but I am now in the position to organize a holiday and cant wait for your advise.
My husband and I are planning to visit Uk, Scotland and Ireland for 5 weeks July/August 2009. Although this seems a large call for 5 weeks we're not looking at seeing every part of these places.(Here's where you come in!)
My thoughts are these ~
*Fly into London and stay 5-7 days.
* Take train to St Albans(have friends here)
* Hire a car and travel north to Scotland & Edinburgh via the Lakes. District
* (some how?) go across to Ireland and drive down eastern side to Dublin.Then perhaps a side trip across to western Ireland.
* exit Ireland by ??? from ????? back to UK and do southern Uk
* return to London and take train to Paris. Will be here a week
What do you think/suggest? Which way north? We love history and natural beauty but are not REAL touristy people. We want to go off the beaten track a bit, rather than doing the expected tourist centres.
Cant wait for your reply.
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
JADO:

Just a suggestion - you may want to re-post w/ a better title. While you are rightfully excited -- &quot;<b>At last!!!! It's my turn!!!</b>&quot; doesn't tell anyone what you want to know.

Try something like &quot;Need help w/ 5 week itinerary England, Scotland and Ireland&quot;

You will get lots of help once folks know what you are asking . . . .

(BTW 5 weeks is wonderful - but still not long enough to see/do everything. Parts of England, Scotland, and especially in Ireland, the driving is very slow. Count on averaging 30-40 mph over much of your route)
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:19 AM

I'm not sure what you would like input into.

The general shape your trip is fine.

You can take a ferry/hydrofoil from Troon, Cairnryan or Stranraer to Norther Ireland.
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:51 AM

Hi Jado, you have a great trip in the works and what a wonderful amount of time. I would love to spend a month in Europe, no wonder you're so excited!

A few questions that might help posters help you:

Is your week in Paris included in the 5 weeks, or is the time in Paris on top of the 5 weeks? Exactly how much time do you have in total? How long will you be visiting your friends in St Albans?

What's your budget? Lots of posters have great recommendations on places to stay and eat, ways to save money if you're going low budget, etc.

What are your must-sees, and what can you live with cutting out this time? (like janisj mentioned, you won't be able to cover everything)

I can't help you much with the UK but there are so many knowledegable posters (two have already responded) and if you provide a few details they can give you lots of help and recommendations.

I guess my only rec would be to spend an entire week in London. I think any trip bookmarked by a week in London and a week in Paris is a winner.

Have fun planning!
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Janisj
Thank you for replying!! Rushed home from work to check site, terrified no-one would answer. Will take on board your suggestion. Unfortunately 5 weeks is all we have. Excluding spots in London, what are the 15 places we MUST not miss on the leg north from London and again when we return to UK from Ireland?
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Shiela. Am very green to all of this! What I am needing help with is.... what are some MUST sees on our travels north of London, on the way to Scotland and again, when we return to the south of England.
Thanks for your help re hydrofoil. See, didn't know about that!Regards
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:17 AM

Jado, there's a ferry from Liverpool to Dublin (or Belfast, for that matter). Here's the website:

http://www.norfolkline.com

It's a 7 hour run, either day or overnight. I haven't been on one myself, but I've seen them depart from the Liverpool docks.

If you want to see something &quot;off the beaten track&quot;, then Liverpool will suit you well. You can visit Albert Dock, do the Beatles tours, maybe ride the Mersey ferry or wander through the Maritime Museum. You can find out more at http://www.visitliverpool.com

I'm soooo glad you'll be visiting the U.K. Despite having &quot;only' five weeks you will see a lot. But I'm sure you'll return for more!
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

GDay Apres_ Londee,
How much fun is the planning of a trip? What budget? Will worry about that when we are closer to the time !!!In my excitement to 'post' I did not word things at all clearly. I dont know what I want to see in the UK, just know that I DONT want to just do the tourist spots. Do know we want to see Loch Lomond (our old house was called that by its first owners in the 1890's who came from here.), Stonehenge, Salisbury, Bath. But where to go on the route north of London to Scotland? Paris is in the 6th week.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM

JADO:
Congratulations, sounds like a great trip! I know this may sound silly even with six weeks holiday, you will have to focus on where you want to spend your time. I personally could spend six weeks in Scotland alone and still not not have enough time.

When you begin to focus on the places that you want to visit, you may find that your time budget will force you to choose modes of transportation between areas within countries but also between countries. How much time in England, in Scotland, in Ireland and in France? Should you fly between cities? What is your overall budget?

As you get more specific with your planning, you will receive more specific ideas and advice.

Specific planning can only be done by you guys but it sounds like fun.

All the best.
d1
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:08 PM

ttt