4 WEEKS IN GREAT BRITAIN?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm trying again....is this tooo long to spend in great britain, even taking a side trip to ireland? this is my first time to europe and really want to get the "feel" of a country or city...and another consideration is this...Paris is so close, do i dare skip it even though i plan on returning some day (God willing of course)??Thanks to all you good people...pat,better know as soulfulms
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:36 PM

I don't think 4 weeks is too long at all. We did a 3 week trip, including about 4 days in Ireland and N. Ireland, and a few days in Scotland, and I felt we barely scratched the surface. I would leave Paris for another trip. There is so much there to see, it would take too much time away from Great Britain.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:50 PM

First, there is no right answer to this. I want to know, since this is your first trip, will you be travelling with someone or by yourself? Will you be renting a car to drive through the countryside or taking trains? Where else in Great Britain are you thinking of going?

With 4 weeks, you have a lot of different options. The first thing is to try to figure out what your interests are and then we can help you clarify where you might want to go.

All that being said, as a first trip, I would definitely split it-- I think you can spend 2-3 weeks in Great Britain and Ireland and spend a week in Paris easily. I think Paris is one of the great cities in Europe, and a great place to go on your first trip to Europe.
Paule
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:27 PM

Kell, I tend to like to focus on one country per trip, for the reason you stated. I want to zero in on that one country.

The traveling is just part of the process. Before the trip, I'll read travel books about the country, read about cities that look interesting to visit, find out more about the people, geography and topography of the place, and, finally, buy and read a concise well-written history of the country, so that hopefully I'll have a better appreciation for some of the historical sites I'll see.

Staying in one country conserves your finances and your energy.

I suggest you pick up a simple travel book such as Rick Steves book and look at the itineraries he lays out for three weeks in Great Britain. See if there is enough there to hold your interest.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:42 PM

Excellent question!

I have been to Paris many times, as well as London...I would go 2 weeks each.
But, if you are really thinking of staying in England, a week in London, 2 wandering the countryside then back to a week in London before you leave..
The first week, I would go to a play each night...maybe a matinee or more , the way Patrick did this past year.
Have fun deciding ~

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Diff'rent strokes.... but you could easily spend 4 weeks in Britain, or even in any of its component parts and never walk on your own footsteps.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:40 AM

I already answered a bit on your first question, but I would urge you (again) to tell Fodorites what you like to do while travelling. I agree that you could spend a week in London, and then, depending on your interests and tastes, you could spend a week in Ireland, and two weeks in other parts of the UK. I've taken several trips to England and Wales, and still have many places to see and things to do!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:49 AM
rex

Each and every person who answered or topped the "other" post by soulfulms, with the message header "WHAT DO YOU THINK?" does the forum a disservice.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:28 AM

As everyone has stated, you know what your interests are. Getting a "feel" of a place generally means time. Sounds like you need to figure out if you want depth or breadth.

I know I could easily fill 4 weeks several times over, just in Great Britain. My first Scotland trip was for 2 weeks and I left knowing what else I really wanted to see! Similarly, we just returned from 6 days in London itself (no side trips). We didn't even get to everything on the 'short list.' I am looking forward to future trips to England, Wales and Ireland.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your comments!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Rex, you are an asset to this forum and most often generous with sound advice, but you are over-reacting. As someone who too often sweats the little things, I can picture your bp rising and the little vessels constricting. I need a vacation; how about you? Peace. J.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Neopolitan

From the "other thread":

Author: jmw44
Date: 03/26/2006, 09:20 am

Hi. If you've always wanted to visit England, dreamed about it, devoured books about the country and its history, doted on movies filmed there, then four weeks will be perfect.

I'm topping this primarily because I think the forum elders, who feel so put upon by headings such as this, need to relax. For goodness sake. Peace. J.

Author: Neopolitan
Date: 03/26/2006, 09:40 am

Yes, it is always a bad thing to try to help a newbie in understanding and improving the way a website works! Unforgiveable! And for heavens sake we should always support the idea of doing things the least effective way and even encourage people to continue doing so. Efforts to follow rules of a website should especially be ignored! Thanks for your support of these ideas, jmw.

Incidentally, kudos to soulfulms, who did take the suggestions to heart, did repost with a better title and has gotten a ton of useful information there. Obviously there are some people who do want to learn how to do it better, rather than just complain about people who try to help out.

Why am I picturing someone kicking every good samaritan who tries to help an old lady or blind person across the street, telling them, "just relax; let them do it their way"?

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Pausanias

Here's my answer to your other post:

Having been lucky enough to have spent several years in the UK, I can assure that four weeks is not too much time.

Many Brits spend their entire lives there, gaining an excruciatingly detailed knowledge of their neighborhoods.

The other destinations may have equal or greater rewards. Only you can decide.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Hello again, Neo. My response was triggered by Rex's, not by the usual posts which tactfully ask the "newbie" to write a more detailed heading. I'm sorry that you've taken this personally. And apologies to soulfulms for interrupting not one, but two honest threads. Happy travels. J.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Neopolitan

Oh, sorry. I guess Rex must have written some rude and nasty post then that has been removed. There certainly is no such post remaining. My apologies for not understanding that.