IN DIRE NEED OF UK ITINERARY!!

Dec 19th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

IN DIRE NEED OF UK ITINERARY!!

Hi! Will be traveling to Londonfrom Washington DC for a 4-day conference April 4-7, but have from March 25-April 3 to explore the UK. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I would like to visit Scotland, Ireland and Paris before hitting London for my conference. I've never been to the UK and want an itinerary that makes the most sense. Should I fly to Paris first then work my way up? Fly to Ireland first then fly to Scotland? How are the trains from Scotland to South England? Where to stay? HELP!! Will also be traveling alone. Any advice would be greatly appreciative. Am so lost right now!!! Thanks!
Dec 19th, 2004, 01:16 PM
ira

Dear Casey,

You have 9 days and you would like to visit 3 countries. Do you expect to remain awake during the conference?

London and Paris would make a nice visit.

I suggest that you get out a map and some guide books.
Dec 19th, 2004, 01:19 PM

Or London and Dublin; or London and Edinburgh/Glasgow/Inverness.

But really Ira's right. You can't do the UK, Ireland and France in 9 days and enjoy it. (I think)
Dec 19th, 2004, 01:20 PM

I'll try to be gentle here:

First of all -- there are hundreds of threads here with info that will help you. Look over a few of them and decide what sorts of things interest you and then we can help you w/ sensible advice.

Second, You want to go to Paris, Ireland, Scotland and England in 10 days. This is nutty unless you just want to say "been there, done that".

You say you haven't been to the UK before - but then you want to tack on Paris AND Ireland.

I would decide which one or two places sound most interesting to you (actually, I'd personally just choose one) Scotland and a bit of England, Paris and a bit of England, Ireland, Scotland, England w/ maybe a one or 2 day visit to Paris, etc.

But do not try to squeeze 4 countries into 10 days . . . . . . .
Dec 19th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I'll be a bit more specific. (*smile*) Will have two full days of sightseeing in London after the conference is over. I really wanted to take the Channel Tube to Paris for a two day trip which would leave me six days to explore the UK. I can nix Ireland but would like to see some of Scotland.
I know this is a rush-rush trip but some things can't be helped and you have to take what you can get travel-wise when you can get it.
Does this narrow it down any?
Dec 19th, 2004, 03:48 PM
ira

Hi C,

Here's my suggestion.

Before the conference take the Eurostar to Paris. Spend 5 days.

Go back to London. Visit the UK.

Go to your conference.

Have a great trip.
Dec 19th, 2004, 04:00 PM

Well I agree she can't sensibly do ALL she originally said she wanted - but now Casey is saying she want's to do two days in Paris. Lots of people do that. I personally think three would be much better for a first trip. In three days you'll actually get a taste of it, less than that you won't really. I think most of the people who do Paris as a day trip or two day trip from London probably have been there before. Takes a few hours to get oriented, then there's the half day each way on the train. Why don't you consider three days and two nights in Paris. I think that leaves you with 6 more days not counting the conference. You could take the train up to Edinburgh and spend two nights there, then on the way back stop for a day in York. At least then you'd get a taste of the three countries. Clearly Ireland makes no sense. It would be rushed but doable.

The other option, if you can live without Scotland would be spend the rest of the time in London (after Paris) and do day trips. Lots of those - Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick (Castle), Canterbury, Bath, etc. Search on London daytrips and you'll get more than enough ideas.
Dec 19th, 2004, 08:30 PM

OK, we must take Casey at his/her word. Ireland can go, but not Scotland or Paris. So, London for 2 days after the conference; Paris for 2 days by Eurostar before it. Perfectly do-able. That leaves 6 days. With car or without? I'd head straight up through Cambridge and the cathedral cities of Peterborough, Lincoln, York & Durham to Edinburgh, then take a domestic flight back to London. Can't see how else you're gonna fit it all in otherwise.
Dec 20th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your musings guys! How about flying into Paris on Friday, March 25, fly out of Paris on Tuesday, March 29 up to Scotland (should I do Glascow or Edinburgh???) then work my way down the country via train back to London over the next five days? Doable?
Dec 20th, 2004, 07:01 AM

A lot depends on your air routing as you will have to (for financial reasons) to fly into and out of the same place. I know you want to see Paris but I would really stick to the UK this time (but I would say that).

I would fly to London and immediately fly on to Edinburgh for 2 or 3 nights (you could take a day trip to the Highlands whilst you where there although Edinburgh deserves at least a couple of days.

Then train down to York for 2 or 3 more nights, then onwards to London for the remaining 4 or 5 nights. The advantage to this is that you will be in the same London hotel for the duration so you can put down "roots".

As Isabel says from London you can book day trips to places like Bath and Stratford. If you are desperate to see Paris you could take a day trip or an overnight one but I would save that for another time.

Have a great trip and don't rush it!!

Adam C
Dec 20th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Casey - if you can get the flights you suggest (into Paris, then Paris to Edinburgh) I think that would work. That would give you a good amount of time in Paris for a first visit (nothing is ever enough time in Paris). Then you could decide how much time to spend in Edinburgh versus England. I've been to York and loved it, one full day would be enough though. Haven't been to Edinburgh yet but am in the process of planning it for March and I'm planning on two full days. Probably not enough but then we have to take what we can get don't we. It seems you can see the highlights in that amount of time. Not sure you can see much else in Scotland in only a couple of days, and without a car. And as I said before, there really are a lot of great places that can be seen as day trips from London. Do you want small towns, castles, or what?
Dec 20th, 2004, 03:53 PM

I'm going to chime in in favor of keeping Paris and Scotland (but dropping Ireland). Everyone is different and nearly everyone on the boards seems to recommend slowing way down. But frankly if I went as slow as some, I'd go stir crazy. Does that make me wrong? I think not! Does it make them wrong? Of course not! People are different and enjoy things differently. You need to find your own personal comfortable pace - and if you like to keep on the move, you can certainly do what you've suggested (although even I, whirlwind traveler that I am, think Ireland is too much for your time). But 2 days in Paris - YES, absolutely! It's short and you'll have to be VERY selective, but it's PARIS. Personally, I'd do 3 nights in Paris, 3 Edinburgh, train to York for 2 nights - or even just 1 night - and then train to London, which I'd use as the hub to do daytrips for any remaining days - Bath/Cotswolds would top my list. This is fast, but not, in my book, totally unreasonable - IF you are energetic and don't mind being on the move. Plus, it would require some advance planning to make sure you get to see your own personal must-sees at each location. Good luck!