planning a trip to the uk in sept 05

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to England, Scotland, Wales and possibly Paris for two weeks in late Sept. 05. Can you help me with sites and how many days in each place. We are interested in London, Cotswolds, Northern Wales, Loch Lomond and last but not least Paris (would love to go on a day tour of some wineries does this exist? Thanks K
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 12:50 PM

You want to rush through 4 countries in 2 weeks!? This is not very practical.

if by 2 weeks you mean 14 days including travel to/from the UK then you really only have approx 11.5 days to see 1) London which is HUGE and has enough to fill 2 months let alone a couple of days, 2) the Cotswolds which require staying a few days to actually see/experience anything, 3) N. Wales which has a LOT to see/do and would require a minimum of 3 or 4 days if you want to do more than just drive through, 4) Loch Lomond (any reason that is the only part of Scotland that interests you - there is a LOT more and a lot better to see in Scotland), and 5) Paris - a day trip to Paris is of course possible but if you actually want to see much of it you need 2 or 3 days minimum. Even if the two weeks is all "in country", still too much in too little time.

How did you plan on getting around - by car? if so you do not see any of the sights on the high speed motorways. You'd need to get off onto the small country roads and you will be lucky to average 35-40 mph.

Not trying to rain on your parade - but why did you pick those specific places? it must be because you want to see things there and not just say "been there, done that"
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Ask for BETS' free European Planning & Rail Guide that has an itinerary planner for UK with details on all the places you mention as well as France and Paris - there is no better primer for novice travelers even if not going by rail ... covers changing money, packing, etc. and is free (800-441-9413); i originally read about it in Frommer's Budget Travel as one of their top 100 tips several years ago.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 01:33 PM

We've done London (4 days), the Cotswolds (3 days) and North Wales (1 week in self-catering cottage) in two weeks. But adding Scotland and Paris would be pretty difficult.

As Janis said you are expecting a lot from the time you have, but then that's why you came here to ask your question. So please don't think we're negative, just trying to be helpful.

Let us know what's really important, and we can help you put an itinerary together.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 01:46 PM

I'd scrap Paris altogether, you'll get city overkill from coupling that with London.

I don't quite get why you want Wales, and Scotland, yes the two are different, but they're both more rural and mountainous with often rainy weather, so pick one of the other.

As for England, what interests you about the Cotswolds in particular?

So I'd say, one week in London and one week in Paris, and that's it. Or, if you really want to do the UK, then A week in London, and a week based in Scotland where you must hire a car and tour!
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM

What would you like to know about Loch Lomond? And what do you like doing on holiday?
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:44 PM

I'm on your side kpilling. If you are going that far you may as well see everything you can while you are there. In spite of the advice above you CAN probably do everything you want to but it will mean hard traveling from place to place and you and your husband will be pretty busy for the two weeks.

We have done trips to London and Paris with a one-day bus type daytrip to the Cotswolds, Oxford and Stratford on Avon. Now all you have to do is figure out how to slip in little side trips to North Wales and Loch Lomond.

Paris and London are magnificant places and each deserve at least three days out of yout itenerary (sp). If you do the Cotswolds one day, that would leave you another 6-7 days to play with.

Have fun planning and come back often to let us know how it is going together.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. This is the scenario. Leave on Sept 23 for London - stay 3 to 4 days. Train to Birmingham for an overnight with my husband's relatives (he is from England). Rent car and drive to Cotwolds for 2 nights. Drive to Northern Wales for 3 nights. Then drive to Scotland - we were told that Loch Lomond is nice but are open to suggestions - maybe visiting an area in Scotland that is not far from Northern Wales (any suggestions)? Then drop car and train to London for 1 more night and then Eurostar to Paris for 1 night. Back to London again for 1 more night and then home to U.S. on October 8th. We are so open to suggestions. Are interests are beautiful scenery, countryside, wine, pubs, history and music. Thank you all and hope to hear more.......
K
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. This is the scenario. Leaving U.S. on September 23rd for London. 3 - 4 days in London. Training to Birmingham for overnight with relatives (my husband is British). Renting car and driving to Cotswolds for 2 days and then on to Northern Wales. Drive to Scotland suggestions appreciated. Drop car and train to London for overnight and then Eurostar to Paris for overnight. Back to London overnight and fly home on October 8. Any and all suggestions for better choices appreciated. This is my first trip to Europe. My husband was born in England and knows his way around (20 years ago). Interests are beautiful scenery, countryside, ocean, music, wine, castles. Thank you again.

Karen
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:43 AM

That is a lot of ground to cover. I'm assuming that since your husband is British he is comfortable driving on the other side of the road. He'd have to be for all the driving you intend.

If you leave the U.S. on September 23rd you won't arrive in England until the 24th. I'm not sure if you counted that in your days in London. Assuming 4 nights in London (24-27); 2 in Cotswolds (28,29); 1 in Birmingham (30), 3 in North Wales (Oct. 1, 2, 3) - depends of course if you are planning to actually go into Wales; 3 in Scotland (4, 5, 6); 1 night in London (7); 1 in Paris (8); 1 in London (9) - this totals 17 days. And you said you had two weeks.

Training to Birmingham, then going back to the Cotswolds doesn't make a lot of sense. Why not bus/train to Oxford from London, pick up rental car, and drive to Cotswolds on your way to Birmingham?

In your original plan, you ask what is easy to see in Scotland from N. Wales. Have you looked at a map of Great Britain? N. Wales and Scotland are not next door to each other. And Loch Lomond is not in the vicinity of Edinburgh.

I think you have to work out your logistics first, and then we can help with specific things to see, etc.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

My husband has never driven on the left side.

I looked at a map and can see that arriving in London and training to Oxford for the Cotswolds and then renting a car and driving to Birmingham is the smartest route. After leaving Birmingham - would you suggest driving to Northern Wales or is there a train? From that point we wanted to see some of Scotland and are open to suggestions. I thought we might drive through Liverpool and the way to Scotland. We do have 17 days. As you can tell, this trip is in the early stages of planning and we are looking for suggestions. The places I have mentioned are the areas I would like to see. London, Cotswolds, Northern Wales, Scotland and Paris - that is if there is enough time. I am open to any ideas on a cleaner itinerary.
Karen
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:44 AM

as stated above I would visit either N wales or Scotland.."Aisle" stated that it is his philosophy to see as much as possible as if he has to travel a long distance. Mine is the opposite..I find that if I do less I actually see more.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Have you considered an open jaw airline ticket where you could fly in to London and depart from Paris, saving you that return journey to London and giving you a little more time in Paris?
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

thanks for that flying back from Paris idea.

Obviously I am very confused on how to pull off this trip. Can someone tell me logically how to arrange this trip.

4 days London, 2 days Cotswolds, 1 day Birmingham, 3 days Northern Wales, 2-3 days Scotland and 2 days Paris.

I am looking for the most logical way to do this and using trains whenever possible. If I spent 4 days in London and then rented a car to go to Cotsolds, drove to Birmingham and then trained to Wales (is that possible)? Then can I train from Wales to Scotland? A car would be rented at each location for touring. We just don't want to drive between locations. I am sorry I am so fresh at this, but this is why I am starting this research early.

Thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Karen, is there a reason why you want to go to North Wales and Scotland? Is it just to say you've been there, or is there something particular that you would like to experience? If we know that, it might help to narrow down where in each area you might visit.

Although I still believe you are attempting too much, here's a shot at a kind of itinerary:

- Fly into Heathrow.
- Take bus to Oxford
- Pick up rental car
- Spend two nights in Cotswolds - what kinds of things are you interested in doing? Chipping Campden is a lovely village, Winchcombe is a bit bigger, Stratford bigger still. Depends what you want.

- Drive to Birmingham. Visit relatives. Overnight.

- Drive to Caernarfon or Snowdonia. Spend three nights. Again, what are your interests in Wales specifically?

- Drive to Manchester airport/rail station. Drop off car. Fly/train to Edinburgh. One night in Edinburgh. Pick up rental car. Tour north of Edinburgh for two days.

- Fly to Paris from Edinburgh. Two nights Paris. Fly home.

It's a start. Although, not for me. You must be very young and adventurous.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Well, I am not that young - but I love adventure. The reason for Wales and Scotland are the scenery. My husband told me about the small villages in Wales and he loved Scotland.

Thank you for the info you gave - it will be helpful.

I mentioned earlier that I love scenery, music, castles and history and food and wine.

I don't want to be a "if it's Tuesday it must be Belgium" person - but I want to see as much as possible without ruining it from over ambition.

Names of interesting Castles, places to stay in Wales, Scotland would be helpful. There is a town call Betus-Y-Coed that my husband said was nice. Does anyone know anything about that? Even pubs in Scotland and Wales would be appreciated. I am really raw at this - as you can probably tell.

I can give advice all day long about traveling the coast of California and many other places in the U.S. but when it comes to Europe I am not very well versed.

Thanks

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:19 PM

kpilling

Betws-y-coed is lovely and you would enjoy it very much. You can easily spend several days in and around this area.

Don't try to do it all in two weeks. If your husband is from the U.K. won't he want to return again? Narrow it down a little. Perhaps London for the first week since you are coming from L.A. This will allow you to adjust to the time change and then perhaps the second week in another area. You also could ask your husband's relatives for their suggestions.

I go home yearly to the U.K. and visit a different area each year. Have not seen it all yet.

Happy planning and enjoy your holiday.

Sandy

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:24 PM

I guess I DO think that you're trying to do too much in too short a period of time. But, if you're determine to do it, I woud start in Paris; and I would then fly- you can get a cheapie- to Edinburgh. If you really want to use the train instead, you can do that; I have a feeling that if you want to go non stop you come in at Glasgow, but someone can check that for you. If you do, you just walk or taxi the few steps from Glasgow Central to Glasgow Queen Street and get teh train to Edinburgh then. You can probably do that on a sleeper so as not to lose daylight hours.

Spend 3 days based in Edinburgh. On the middle day, either take train trip out of the city- there are anumber of options- or take one of the wee mini-bus day tours, or hire a driver for the day; or wait till day three and hire a car.

The drive to Wales; then drive to the Cotswolds, the drive to Birminham, drop your car off and get the train abck to London.

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

you guys are really giving me some valuable info. Thanks so much!

More questions....

Castles to stay overnight in - Scotland or England. Would like at least one night in a castle. Also, is it difficult to get used to driving on the left side? My husband is British, and has been a passenger but not a driver. Also, weather - what is the weather like in London, Cotswolds, Lake District, Northern Wales and Edinburgh in late Sept. and early Oct. and how would the weather in those areas be compared with Mid to late November? We have been going back and forth on our dates. We have two weeks in late September for vacation, but our 20th wedding anniversary is in late November - any advice?
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:25 PM

kpilling

Weather - I would choose September/October over November for weather. Remember the days will be very short in November and it will get dark early. Take a look at www.weatheronline.co.uk for lots of information pertaining to weather.

Driving - For some people it is easy as pie for others it is very difficult. The fact that your husband is British won't make a bit of difference since he has never driven in the U.K. Can your husband drive a stick shift? Automatics are not common in the U.K. Expect to pay more if you want a automatic.

Can not help you with your castle question. I am sure someone else will.

Sandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -