Asking about Aix and...

Search

Asking about Aix and...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asking about Aix and...

Bon soir...some expert advice, s'il vous plait! I am continuing to plan my dream trip to France, July 2007, in stages. Research indicates that this part is realistic without a car: arrive by train in Aix from Arles (having already seen the Camargue, Nimes and Pont du Gard)on a Wednesday afternoon...walk around, etc- early to bed in a cheap hotel, Thursday flower market in morning then train to Avignon- see the "pont" (my only goal for Avignon) and on to Isle-sur-la-Sorgue for two quiet nights and days before embarking for Nice and environs via train on Sunday afternoon.My question concerns the market in Isle-sur-la Sorgue on Sunday. Is it amazing enough to spend an extra night? Merci beaucoup!
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 10:46 PM

Not in my opinion. You will already have been in Aix Thursday morning for a market which is equal in size if not larger, than I-s-l-S. The thing which is unique about I-s-etc is the antique aspect of both the market and town. On the market, you will find something more akin to an upscale flea market. With prices quite a bit upscale as well. If that is of interest, than stay the extra night for the market.

Otherwise, I-etc also is famous for it's antique shops and dealers. They are not part of the market and are mostly in permanent shops ringing the village. There stuff can be quite gorgeous, but once again, do not go there looking for bargains ! Most of the shops are open Saturday/Sunday and Monday - so you can enjoy them Saturday the day before the market when it is a lot less crowded.

-Kevin
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 03:07 AM

I really liked Isle sur la sorgue, not only the antiques, but the restaurants along the stream and the unique church of the town (a short walk from the edge where the market and restaurants are.)

Having see the market at Aix, I can say I liked them both and they're quite different from each other. ISLS is definitely more high end.

Still, a full day or even most of a day at ISLS should be plenty. If I understand you correctly, you'd be there from Friday noon until Sunday afternoon. That may be overdoing it, unless you really just want to relax. And I'd say Aix, Avignon, or Nice would be better places for that (although that would depend on your hotel as well).
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 03:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you really only want to do the avignon bridge ok but the pope's palace is v good and a double ticket exists.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 04:09 AM

The bridge at Avignon is like Plymouth Rock or Gibraltar. Once you have seen it, you will say, "Nu. So what's such a big deal?" The answer is, "Nothing."

The Palace of the Popes _is_ a big deal, and the walled city itself is not too shabby.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 05:10 AM

If all you're really interested in is the bridge, you might consider skipping Avignon. That would give you a more relaxed time elsewhere.

If you do decide to go, I'd certainly try to see more than just the bridge. For me, the best thing in the environs of Avignon are the gardens of the Fort St. Andre, just outside Avignon. They should be really beautiful in July, should gardens interest you. Also, since you like markets, the Avignon brocante market (or possibly the Villeneuve Avignon-sp?-just outside Avignon--and where the gardens are) is on Saturday morning. So you might arrange your itinerary so that you can do the Aix market on Thursday, the Avignon market on Saturday and the Isle sur la sorgue market on Sunday. By the way, the big Nice market is on Monday!