Search

Avignon Market

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Gretchen

Avignon Market

After reading some posts about the flea markets in Paris, I get the feeling they might be a waste of time unless you are looking used dish drainers and such junk. Although "Brocantes" signs around might be a better bet. To get to my question - Since many shops are closed on Sunday, would it make any sense to take a the train to Avignon, see the countryside on the way from the train, go the Sunday Market in Avignon, perhaps, spend the night and go back to Paris the next day ?

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:00 PM
John B.

The Sunday antique market is in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue just East of Avignon. In addition to the stalls set up on Sunday there must be at least 50 other antique shops that are open. Usually very crowded in the summer but plan on spending most of a day there if you go.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Sue

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but are you planning to go to Avignon on Sun. morn.? If so, I believe the market there ends at noon, so to make it worth your while you'd need to leave Paris very early. And in my experience the TGV ride is not particularly picturesque. <BR>(BTW, some shops in the Marais are open on Sunday, and I think the Clingancourt flea market is worth going to.) <BR>Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, in Provence, has one of the nicest flea markets on Sundays, but for sure you'd have to take the train on Sat. to make it. You could "do" that area on Sat. and Sun., and return to Paris Sun. eve. Just my thoughts.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Christina

They do have a flea market Sunday in Avignon. I'm not sure what you are expecting from a flea market but the Parisian flea markets don't have items like dish drainers mainly. In fact, the one at Clignancourt is rather the opposite, it's not exactly a flea market but a section of many antique shops as well as some more used items that might not qualify as antiques. A lot of the stuff is rather expensive so it's not exactly the place for someone wanting to browse for cheap trinkets. The one at Vanves is more like a regular flea market and has a lot of vendors selling the kind of stuff you'll find at flea markets all over France -- old postcards, prints, books, perfume bottles, just miscellaneous small stuff. They had some furniture, also, but Vanves isn't really the place to go for that, I'd say (the stuff I saw was maybe from the 1950s-1960s). The flea market at Vanves is pretty similar to what I'd expect at a roving brocante. What exactly are you looking for at a flea market, perhaps if you said someone can advise better. <BR><BR>If you want to get out of the city (although plenty is open on Sunday), I see no problem with a day trip to Avignon, but I sure wouldn't do it for the flea market (at place des Carmes, I believe). Besides, it will be winding down by the time you get there, anyway, usually they are best early in the day.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Coco

Would highly recommend the Sunday market at L'Isle sur la Sorgue Many antique stores b esides the many wares selling on the streets. It is very crowded, parking is limited.<BR>Avignon did not show me a thing.