ashling hotel dublin

Search

ashling hotel dublin

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ashling hotel dublin

we will be traveling to dublin for 6 nites 2nd week of may thinking about the staying @ ashling hotel any comments about this hotel and also is may a nice time to since it is our 1st time abroad.
thank you
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Retire, Ashling hotel is not close to the center of Dublin. I feel it would be a very long walk. May is a good time to go.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Personally I think its just OK. The area has picked up since the tram has gone in but I am not a fan of the hotel for a few reasons. I think for the same money you could stay better in Jury's Christchurch.

P.S. I lived near by the hotel (nicer end towards town) so I know the area.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

i understand now about ashling , but i saw i cant remember the name but it looks like it has a trolly or tram running street side overlooking the leffy river and is any hotel overlooking the leffy a nice scenic place to stay does anyone know the name of the hotel
thank you
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Retire

The name of the hotel you saw overlooking the River Liffey may have been the Clarence Hotel, its a nice hotel,it also could have been the Clarion Hotel, which is also very good. The trams you saw would have been the Luas, they are modern day version of the old Dublin Trams, I wouldnt personally stay at the Aisling hotel, but its ok.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

hi, i have some responses about ashling hotel being not so nice , the tram runs right by it it looks nice on comp. can soneone explain why the price they quoted is 108.00$ sounds good but i can use some help
thank you
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 05:56 AM

To be perfectly honest Retire, even though the Aisling Hotel is in a good location for sightseeing, it hasnt got the best name in Dublin,I think perhaps you could do better for that kind of price.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Have a look at the deals and special offers on

www.hotel-ireland.com

I got the 4* St Stephens Green Hotel which is in a really good location for 109 euros a night (60% discount). Friends stayed at Buswells for around the same price and theirs included a full breakfast. Again, a good central location.

When I first started to look for Dublin hotels, I did like the look of the Ashling, but soon realised that maybe it wasn't the best choice.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Ok here goes
1.The Aisling is on the edge of the city not a quick walk to the sights.
2. They used to have a theft problem not sure if it still happends this was with locked rooms etc
3. Someone did themselves in here 2-3 years back and was found by a maid and it totally put me off the place since.
4. We used to rent rooms for work meetings and its a bit basic I felt.

Buswells has been recently renovated and a smaller cosy place. St Stephen's Green hotel is also very nice and modern and close to Grafton Street and St Stephens green with nicer views than the Ashling. The Ashling has no views to speak of in my opinion except over the train station and a laneway the hookers walk up to behind Arbour Hill Prison.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:12 AM

I stayed at the Ashling once when traveling alone. It was a convenient place to stay for 2 nights because I was taking an all day trip that started at the train station and was leaving the day after that. It is easy and inexpensive to get to the airport from there.

The staff was so kind to me when I was there that I have fond memories. They would not let me walk to the train station alone, and they were warm and welcoming. I thought the rooms were fine(clean and basic) and the breakfast was good.

I had been staying at the Merrion the 2 nights before, and changed my plans just because my I had two early mornings at the train station and I thought it would be more convenient, which it was.

Of course, for sightseeing in Dublin, the city center is much better.