Reload this Page >

As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:16 AM
dreamer

If youve read this youll know its the story of Laurie Lee's travels around Spain in the early 1930s - just wondering is it possible to do that kind of travel anywhere in Europe nowadays - not necessarily busking for money, but that independent meandering kind of journey - if youve read Patrick Leigh Fermor's books youll know what I mean - or has that Europe vanished?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Ben Haines

I think you can do it in the Balkans, for example in Romania. You might search under Romania on the Lonely Planet Thorn tree site for eastern Europe. Few Fodors forum readers travel like that.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:18 PM
dreamer

thanks Ben - suppose eastern europe would be the place - i must confess i am not actually planning such a trip except in my head - it was more a lament for times past before the era of mass tourism (yes i realise i am part of the mass)

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:22 AM
Romania

Be careful in Romania. The people are beautiful, but conditions are often very sad. That country has been through alot, and it shows on the faces.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:28 AM
Worried

Why on earth would you want to go to poor country and while there pretend that you are worse off than the locals?