Notices

US versus Europe Forum: Mega Differences!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:31 AM
John

US versus Europe Forum: Mega Differences!

As a researcher, I would love to see a statistical report on the demographic differences between this forum and the Fodor's Europe section. Without being judgemental in any way, it seems to me that the "atmosphere" here is more aggressive, less forgiving of inept questions or newbies. Is this a gender thing? an age thing? or just perspective? Or am I making this up? ( For the record, I am a married man, early 60's, grown kids, travel a lot to Italy, Scotland, Canada and US at least 3X a year, semi-retired from market research firm in NYC and live in coastal Maine and I have never posted before (and depending on the response to this, may never again!)

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Anon

Oh no, it's most definitely NOT in your imagination, John.
The differences between the two forums are vast.
The Euro forum is frequented by people who, on average (not without exception), are better traveled, a bit older, much more socially conscious, better mannered, more informative.
I believe this is due to the fact that in general, people who have an interest in other cultures tend to be a bit more open minded and mature in their thinking.
Lots of the US posters are younger and less 'wordly wise' IMO.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Robin

Good luck John-- it may get rough out there!

For what it's worth, I see it too. I have no idea whether you can attribute the difference to demographics. I tend to chalk it up to cliches like this: people on the Europe forum are more adventurous, more romantic, whatever, and more enthusiastic about travel in general. While there are some of the same "types" (as well as literally the same people) on the US forum, there are also others, including people who want practical information about well-known destinations (boring to many to read about), as well as the provocateurs who can't bear to see a day go by without some string of insults.

I discovered the Europe forum first, and spend more time there, but I have spent a lot of time on the US forum in the last six months while planning a recent trip (to coastal Maine, incidenatlly!). I use extreme willpower over here to not get caught up in the excess. In return, I have gotten some wonderful help and good information.

So that's my two cents. Oh, and the demographics? Married, no children, not quite 40, full-time employment, love to travel anywhere, anytime, but can't!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 10:03 AM
curious

While I agree that there are differences, I wouldn't necessarily say that they are more well-mannered on the Europe forum. Hang around there a little while and read some of the more controversial postings. You'll find posters every bit as rude and aggresive, (as well as witty and fun-loving), as the posters here on the U.S. forum. It gets especially nasty over there when politics or nationality is brought into the mix!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 10:41 AM
holly

Anon -

Pompous, arrogant, self-important remarks like that give those of us who do travel overseas a bad name. Not everyone who has traveled outside the U.S. looks down their nose at those who have not. Furthermore, adventurous is a relative term. Europe is a western culture and most of the places in Europe popular with U.S. tourists are as easy to navigate as places here in our own country. Furthermore, I have been absolutely embarrassed by some of the behavior I have seen exhibited by other U.S. citizens in those places - and, for some reason, I've seen less of it in the other parts of the world I've visited.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Short Fuse

John:
Don't let them scare you away. Keep posting. When you get a hot button issue even the best "mannered", "socially conscious", "informative", "well traveled", "forgiving" people on either forum can lose their cool and look like a blithering idiot. We all have our buttons and have bad days.
My advice: If you can't resist the urge to get into the controversy use a made up name. That way you won't be trapped into defending "your good name" when the rocks inevitably come flying. Save your real name for legitimate travel advice. Keep in mind(as I have observed) it only takes one angry person or "psyco". He/she can post under 10 different names and make it look like the whole world is against you. Will the wonders on the internet age never cease? It helps to try develop a thicker skin and try to take the comments for what they are worth. Just because there may be a few fools around doesn't mean you have to leave.

I'm in my 50s and travel to Europe and in the US and Canada but am willing to go anywhere if the opportunity presents itself.
Good Luck and stick around.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 11:39 AM
curious

John, I forgot to give you my demographics - Early 40's, part-time software consultant, married, 2 pre-teens, live in Fairfield County Ct., Have traveled through Europe, Asia, South America, Canada, U.S, Hawaii and caribbean. I visit both boards but recently spend more time in U.S. since we haven't traveled outside the U.S. in the past 6 months.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Linda

Agree with Curious. I spend a lot of time on both forums. Although those who visit the European forum, IMHO, tend to be a bit older, adventuresome, etc., manners are no better there than here, at least among American posters. There have some real knock-down, drag-outs there. For a couple of months there was a pure vendetta against one poster and other, less antagonistic ones rear their ugly heads frequently. I think that if the European forum seems more polite, it may be because there are more Europeans on that forum than this and that slightly tempers the tone. Some of the Americans still love to snipe and put people down. (I wish there was a way to deny them access after about the 50th time, but then that would limit us also--what can you do?)

There was a thread something like this one on the European forum and somebody epostulated that the sniping from Americans may be because we have been taught freedom of speach from the time we were in school, i.e., allowed to discuss things/disagree with teachers, whereas Europeans are not necessarily. Personally, I think (for what it's worth) that it is because Americans tend to be a much more angry group of people.

Me, I'm in my 50s, American, and travel all over the US AND Europe.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Nope ThisAmerican's

Linda, Linda, Linda, how can you say the Americans are a much more angry group of people? Try saying one derogatory thing about a European country on the Euro board and watch what comes flying your way. The Europeans do give the Americans good advice about their countries, but so much of it is with barely concealed contempt. Sometimes I think they suffer Americans gladly, but only because they want our money.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Samantha

I agree with you, John, and I'm not being judgemental, either.

While there *are* heated discussions on the European board from time to time, I've found the posts to be a bit more witty and not quite as vicious and snotty as on the U.S. board. I think it comes from the fact that many of the posters on the European board are older, more educated, and just don't get caught up in the all-out-nastiness that many posters on the U.S. board do.

I replied to a question earlier tonight and one of the points I brought up was that many posters seem to want to vent here - possibly because they don't have the guts to do it "real life?" Maybe, maybe not, but the bantering and bickering back and forth gets old *fast*.

I found this site a few months ago and while it would be *very* easy to fall into angry-poster mode at times myself, I'm going to try my hardest to refrain! That doesn't make me a better person, just someone who would rather spend my time helping other posters with their questions and hopefully get help with my own. Life's too short to get bent out of shape over an Internet forum!

BTW, I'm early 40's, married, a hairdresser going to college for a career change, live on the east coast of the U.S. and have never traveled outside of the States.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Ima shocked

I think the Europe board at times is the lowest. There is always accusations- who is who, boggles the mind that they should care. Both boards were originally supposed to be about travel, but they tend to degenerate into ego contests, who knows more, those who think that misspelling is a crime. Chiding on some issues, calling naive people trolls( I was one of them)

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 04:58 PM
regular poster

I've been posting/reading here for at least 4 years now and have seen a general demise of the entire system as more and more people come on line. The major difference that I notice in the US and European boards is that the posters are on the US board seem to ask very basic questions and get really smart ass answers for the most part. On the European board, there are some very basic questions (Where should I stay in Paris?), but there are also some very specific questions. The responders on the European board seem to be more well-traveled and sophisticated - sometimes too sophisticated to remember what it was like when they had very general travel questions. I've pretty much stopped posting on the European board and really only respond on the US board when questions about my own city come up.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:00 PM
A.M.

I found the europe board to have a centralized core of (10 or so) people who post regularly both on the message board and personally whereas this board is less so. I don't think the people are much different on either board especially the troll posts.
Of course everyone on the American and European boards agrees that the Canada board is where one always finds polite and intelligent answers to every question posed. Eh!
A.M.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Linda

Nope ThisAmerican's, I was not talking about anger and posters on the board per se. What I was referring to was a general anger in the overall culture. Europeans, if not more accepting of the shortfalls of their lives, at least seem to keep it more to themselves. Americans seem more ready to express themselves when things are not to their liking--and sometimes that expression rears itself in violence. And that trend seems to be shown on the boards also. I'm talking about the extremes here, but also that there seems to be more Americans at the extremes than Europeans. I've lived in Europe for over 12 years; I'm glad to be home in the good ole USA, but I do feel the difference in cultures. For instance, there are few places in Europe I would be afraid to walk down the street at night. I may experience a pick-pocket, but the chance of violence is rare. Not so in some places in the States. And just like there are more people at the extreme ends of the spectrum, I believe there are more people who feel free to be rude and downright nasty in America, especially through the anonymous magic of the internet.

You of course are welcome to your thoughts--as I am to mine.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:29 PM
just

Well, the Europe forum has a long-standing Pompous Ass Club, whereas the U.S. forum doesn't seem to have enough asses to form a chapter.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:40 PM
EuroDieter

Heck, there aren't that many posters at the US site that can correctly SPELL 'chapter'!!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:55 PM
hmm

I thought we ar the Europe section had most of the a**h***** but I see you have them too. Travel seems to mean venting to some of these AH.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Sherry

I think the sections are about the same as far as frequency of bashing and intolerance, but the European board is much more arrogant in general and the U.S. board more down to earth. They both get nasty but in different ways.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 10:36 AM
xx

Did you know that only 0.5-2% of all radio listeners actually call in to a radio talk show. Ever.

A strikingly similar statistic exists for on-line viewing of chat and group sites. Most people who visit on-line "interactive" chats/posts/newsgroups/or similar class don't post.

Radio talk shows have tools that can prevent persistent and annying callers. The bad ones don't get on the air.

Fodors does not have such a thing.

I believe that it is not wise to judge the "personality" of a forums' readers/viewers by quantity or tone of uncontrolled contributors. Much more people just read this [Fodors forum] than post to it.

Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I must say some of the European types on here get quite snooty with their answers. I mean, as a US citizen there are certain basic things I really do need to know when travelling to Europe! However, I was take aback at the indignation when, on another well-known travel board, I raised valid concerns about the dangers of eating fondue, the opening hours for a well-known 24hr bar in Berlin, what to wear in the Czech Republic (whether I'd stand out in Prague with jeans) and the ingredients of British Steak & Kidney Pie. Without exception I was given sarcastic answers and felt more than a little hostility coming my way. It's just not on!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information