Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Article - Turkey: Go it alone or with a group?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Vita

From the Washington Post:<BR><BR>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2002Jul5.html

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:13 AM
murat

Thanks Vita,<BR><BR>I have read the article last night and made my day. I lough and I totaly enjoyed reading it.<BR><BR>Thanks again and again.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:36 AM
nuts

you would have to nuttier than a fruit cake to want to go to Turkey or anywhere in the Middle East at this time. Thank you

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:46 AM
xxx

Well, nuts. Your knowledge of geography and Turkey and Turks seem to be a bit limited. <BR><BR>I have been 8 times to Turkey, twice in Egypt, 4 times in Tunisia, twice in Morocco and once in the Arab Emirates. Not all Middle East, but all muslim. Turkey has nothing else in common with those except islam. And that does not mean fundamentalist islam. But I must add that I didn´t feel unconfortable in any of those countries I mentioned.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Victoria

Vita,<BR><BR> We are planning a trip next spring to Turkey, so the article was rather timely. I've saved it in my travel folder-thanks!<BR><BR>To "xxx": Do you have a trip report to share?<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:33 AM
xxx

I would just like to add to nuts, that please, read The Washington Post article. It is great. Funny, too.<BR><BR>Victoria, I would be happy to answer any questions, but all those trips to Turkey have been different, so a trip report would be a bit long and messy. First one was almost 20 years ago. I have been there with children, with husband, solo, and last spring a quick week in Antalya with a woman friend. But I still lack in a big way, because I have never been to Istanbul.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Victoria

xxx,<BR> For starters, we're considering a two-week trip next April, broken up with one week in a "base camp" city, and the other week driving from city to city. Is this arrangement workable? Or would it be more practical to lodge in different places every night? Thanks, in advance.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:20 AM
murat

Victoria; you could organise a nice trip within 2 weeks. But to visit a city everyday and stay in a new place could be very tiring and rush. You wont really understand what you have been up to. I agree with xxx, every trip is another experience and that can be formed according to your interests & budget and time of the year you are planning to travel.<BR><BR>Your questions are welcome when you need advice...

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:59 PM
donut

Spent two weeks in Turkey with a tour group during the last two weeks of June. This trip was not considered by our friends and family to be a wise traveling decision when we planned it. It just goes to show how ignorant we can be in our own little world. The trip was fantastic and enlightening & the Turkish people, when engaged in more than the fundamental conversation, were willing & eager to talk about their lives & share a cup of apple tea.<BR><BR>One of our most memorable evenings was in the town of Kas where we wandered into a carpet shop which was a former camel stable. After we told the shopkeeper we had already contributed to the Turkish economy with our carpet purchases elsewhere, the pressure to sell was off & he then proceeded to tell us of his and twelve brothers fascinating lives and their ancestry all done over two and a half hours of apple tea and some SAS (much like a banjo?) playing (business was slow that nite...). We Americans were probably in the minority of travelers. Many Germans, French, Slovic and Australian travelers. We did Istanbul, Ankara, Cappadocia, Konya, Antalya, (including a 4 day excursion on a gulet which was lovely & a great way to break up the heavy touring) and then Ephesus, Pammukale, Khusadasi & back to Istabul flying from Ismir. We did a well known tour company, covered a lot of ground & were very pleased. Being our first trip in an unknown country we were happy to let the professionals handle the details. Don't be afraid to take along some shorts. I skimped on taking them out of respect and found that in certain parts of the country, particulary the ruins, it was incredibly hot & wearing them was not an issue. I did see men tourists wearing shorts in Istanbul, however, required to wrap a scarf around themselves in order to be admitted to a mosque. As a woman I was not required to put on a head scarf anywhere I went, however I always had my shoulders and legs covered when entering the mosques. Those wearing a tank top or such simply borrowed a scarf.<BR><BR>Also, regarding the currency--pretty much everywhere we went they preferred US dollars over their own lire due (sadly) to the daily currency fluctuations. Apparently the shop keepers are heavily taxed when they accept credit cards---to tune of 20% or so...at least that's what I understood. I would suggest lots of small lire primarily for the restrooms along the way! Our traveler's checks were a bit of a hassle to exchange with a commission being charged as well. Thank you for reading my thesis. We are still flying high from our wonderful experiences. As you well may have guessed, we LOVED Turkey.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:17 AM
geri

DONUT--I'm looking at tours of Turkey and wondering if you'd mind stating which company you used. If you'd rather not answer on this forum, if you could use my above email address, I certainly would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 04:15 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:09 AM
helper-b

This person recently posted on this site (presumably not understanding the no advertising rule) --- so this info likely will be deleted before Vita or Geri has opportunity to see that topic.<BR><BR>(And YES, I know what you'll all say ....)<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>Tours to Turkey<BR> <BR>Author: fatih ([email protected])<BR>Date: 08/09/2002, 06:07 am<BR>Message: Hi everyone in the world.<BR><BR>I m working for a travel agency. I used work as an tour guide licenec from Turish Tourism Ministry. If there are any tour operators or peoble to come to Turkey we are able to give all kinds services. If you have any question/s let us know. You can also visit our wep-side is www.inshoretravel.com<BR>Any kind of info you need please do not hesitate to contact with me our our agency. Best wishes,<BR><BR><BR><BR>