Arriving Rome

Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Arriving Rome

A quick question as I begin to firm up my itinerary. I was planning on leaving the US on Saturday, arriving FCO on Sunday with immediate train to Florence. I seem to remember some posts that arriving Sunday is not a good idea as many places are closed. Could someone please advise if my memory is correct or if this is not a problem? Thanks so much!
Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:30 PM

I don't see a problem with Sunday travel to Florence. Things at the rail stations will be open. Taxis will be available.

Most people will spend at least one Sunday in country while on an Italian vacation, so I don't really see how "Sunday is not a good idea." If I really wanted all the stores to be open while I'm on the ground, I would choose Sunday as a travel day. That way, say on Tuesday, when most things are open, I could give them all my time and not worry about travelling.

But you only need glance at a guidebook to find museums, attractions, restaurants and stores that are open on Sunday.

If you are flying from the US to FCO, traveling to Termini, then on to Florence, you may not need many things to be open on Sunday. You may very well be tired and the things that are open will be enough for your arrival day.
Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:33 PM

I think it's a good idea regardless of whether things are closed or not. You will spend the better part of the day getting to Florence, finding and checking into your hotel, and dealing with jet lag.

Florence in the evenings is absolutely divine and I'm sure you will restaurants open. You can have dinner, hit the sack early, and wake up ready to start exploring.

Here's my tip that Fodors thought worthy of publishing in the Italy guide. Don't worry about booking tickets to accademia, just turn up at about 5 pm and you will find you only have to wait a very short while to get in, say 10 mins. The tour groups have all gone by then and it's lovely! It doesn't close until about 7pm which is more than enough time to see everything.

Italy 2012, in Florence most of the major museums are closed on Monday so that may be what you are thinking of.

What do you mean by "places"?

Or do you mean services, like ATMs, trains, buses, taxis, restaurants, etc.? If so, you're OK as long as there isn't a transportation strike.

If you mean tourist sights, you'd have to check each one's open days and hours.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:26 PM

Hi italy2012, there will be no problem travelling on sundays since you arrive at FCO at least in the morning. Last train from airport to downtown Rome railway station is at 11.38 p.m. (takes half an hour and costs 14 euro per person). Last fast train from Rome to Florence is at 8.45 p.m. (depart same station where you arrive from airport), takes one hour and a half and costs 45 euro (second class ticket). Most of the shops in both downtown Rome and Florence will be open. I confirm that many museum are closed on mondays.
Train infos: http://www.trenitalia.com/ (click on english flag on top of page).
Bye,
max
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM

we rented an apartment just round the corner from the academia and there were never queues in the early evening.

and when you've finished in there, there is a supermarket opposite that stocks really interesting things- like whole frozen octopus. definitely worth 10 minutes for an insight into italian grocery shopping.

more seriously, on the corner of piazza san marco and via cavor there is a really nice cafe with waitresses wearing the smartest outfits I've seen in a long time.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:24 PM

Our hotel got us a taxi from Rome proper to the airport for 20 euros. I had always heard that the train in Rome was not that safe.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:48 PM

"I had always heard that the train in Rome was not that safe."

Who told you that?
Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM

>>>sylviathomas on Jan 3, 12 at 5:24pm

Our hotel got us a taxi from Rome proper to the airport for 20 euros. I had always heard that the train in Rome was not that safe.<<<

When was this? Taxis have been a set fee of 40€ (four people including luggage) for several years (going to 45€ soon if it hasn't already). You got quite a bargain if you got a taxi for only 20€.

italy2012 - What is the rest of your itinerary? It might make sense to train elsewhere depending on your itinerary.
Jan 7th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

kybourbon--the itinerary which still needs to be tightened (14 days in total) down is fly into FCO; train to Florence; Florence and vicinity for 3-4 days; car to Umbria and Marche (this is definite as my father was born in Ascoli-Pisceno and I want to spend time in this area) for 5-6 days and finish in Rome.
Jan 7th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

annhig--could you give me information on the apartment you mention?
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:35 PM

ttt - annhig?