Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

is there a problem with Florence on Sunday and in Rome on Monday?

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When exactly do churches and museums close?
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:17 AM
ira

Hi d,

The main museums in Florence close on Monday.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Churches, especially in Rome, are open in the morning (7 or 8 am) and close between 12 a 1 pm. They reopen sometime between 3 and 5 pm and close again between 6 and 7 pm. Main Basilicas like St. Peter's, San Giovanni Laterano and Santa Maria Maggiorre stay open all day (7 to 7). However, many smaller churches are only open on Sundays for mass or are open only very seldom, like for the feast day of the church's patron saint. Unfortuately, many of Rome's churches are closed indefinitely for restoration.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 11:26 AM

I fyou're worried that everything will be closed and you'll see nothing, then don't be. Whilst the traditional closing day in many places in Italy is Monday, many of the larger attractions have bowed to the will of tourists, and so you'll always find some open on either day. I suggest you plan thoroughly - buy a very up to date guidebook, check out the opening times and call ahead to check these times haven't changed.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 12:14 PM

I have found that hours and days of admission are subject to change (although Monday is the usual closing day in either city for nationally-run museums), so it is best I think to check websites before you go, and then hope for the best. Books can more easily be out of date.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 12:19 PM

If you can, go immediately on arrival to the local tourist information office and ask for the "orari dei monumenti, dei musei et delle chiese." They will probably first try to fob you off with the preprinted brochures that can be as out of date as guidebooks, but if you insist, they will often cough up a rough-and-ready typewritten and photocopied list of opening hours that is actually up-to-date or, at least, as up-to-date as anything is likely to be in Italy.