Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence-Are Many restaurants/shops closed sunday/monday? Please advise what to expect.

Search

Florence-Are Many restaurants/shops closed sunday/monday? Please advise what to expect.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
Did I mess up with the travel plans for (October trip)Florence? I was looking at this travel book that claimed that most restaurants are closed on sunday evenings and all day Monday.

Boy I hope that's not the case, because that's the ONLY days I could fit Florence into my intinerary (my days for Florence are Sunday, Monday, Tuesday). I have heard wonderful things about the food there.

Now I know that on Monday many museums are closed-that I can handle as long as they're open on Sunday and Tuesday. But the restaurants concern me, as I want to experience Florence with all the great things there are to offer. And while I have you, will the charming shops be open on Sunday and Monday? (What are the hours anyway? It looks like there's a midday break in Florence but I wasn't sure).

So before I hold my head in sorrow, I figure to ask the REAL Experts (that's you), about what to expect Sundays and MOndays in Florence. Thank you for all your help and guidance on this matter.
(And does this apply to other parts of the Tuscany region as well--like San Gimignano, Siena, and Modena and Bologna (okay the last 2 are not in Tuscany but it's close and might make a nice day trip from Florence).
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:46 PM

You will have NO problem finding restaurants and other museums and sights open certainly on Sunday for the museums, and on Monday as well, but with a few closings for the museums. Let this issue not be of concern to you. Florence is the city of cities for tourists, so from that you must know that it does not shut down at all. Yes, a few restaurants will be closed on Monday, but so few it will not be discernable to you in any way. As far as the markets, yes, they will be in operation on Sunday, and most of the shops will be open on these days as well. Enjoy.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply and the friendly words. I just recently heard from someone who said that the shops only open at 4pm in Florence, Italy on Monday. Hope that like you said, it's not too common.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 02:54 AM
ira

Hi LO,

Good advice from GST.

In all the world, some restos close Sun and Mon, others close Mon and Tues, others Tues and Wed, etc. You won't have much trouble.

Be aware that many restos serve from 12:00 to 2:30 and again from 7:30 on, so that finding a snack at 4:00 PM (which is when my Lady Wife seems to get hungry) can be a small problem.

Many shops open Monday PM, but not AM.

The Florentines usually eat gelato from a cup with a spoon, not from a cone.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Thanks for your helpful response as well. Appreciate getting some lowdown on the alternating hours of the shops. If the shops open in the PM, any idea what the usual time they would close in Florence would be?
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 06:10 AM
ira

Hi LO,

IIRC, the traditional hours are about 9-12:00 and 2:00 - 7:00.

Larger stores follow the modern pattern of staying open through lunch.