Arles & Les Baux Advice

Search

Arles & Les Baux Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arles & Les Baux Advice

I am leaving in the morning for France and wonder if anyone has any special things they have done in Arles or Les Baux. One night we have a reservation in Les Baux and the next in Arles. Any special resturants,
shops for me and the bullfights for my husband? It's last minute, but I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Try to visit the ruins at Les Baux--they're up at the top, out past the little village/shops--first thing in the morning or in the early evening. They're magical at that time, especially at sunset, and the huge crowds will have dissipated.

The little shops offer good Provençal fabrics--think placemats and tablecloths--as well as olive oil and lavender products. You can also get good olive-wood bowls and such.

Be sure to visit the little church, where the Christmas Eve Mass of the Shepherds (they attend, with their lambs) is celebrated. There's also a good santon museum to introduce you to that Provençal speciality.

The special place to eat at Les Baux is the Oustau de Beaumanière, just below the village. Reservations are a must. If you can't book there, head down to the Valley and Le Cabro d'Or, owned by the Thulier family that opeates the Oustau; the restaurant there is excellent.

Bullfights in Arles...those, thankfully, aren't the kind where the bulls get killed. Instead, young boys run after the bulls and try to grap a rosette hanging from the neck--winners get prizes from local merchants.

Sightseeing in Arles: the beautiful church and cloisters of St-Trophime, the Roman arena and theater, and the folk-art museum. I haven't shopped much in Arles and so can't give you recommendations other than the huge Saturday open-air market.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 03:58 PM

In Arles, the Museum Arlaten, that recounts the history of Provençal life and thought in documents, costumes, furniture, some twenty thousand objects.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM

That's the folk-art museum, and it's wonderful.

If you are driving, a good place to park in Arles for the sights in the central area is the parking lot above and to the left of the arena. The lot is just in front of a church.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:05 PM

If you can get in, definately try the restaurant L'Atelier in Arles. Amazing. And amzingly reasonably price for what you get.

-Kevin
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Just a month ago we spent 2 nights at Les Baux and it was definitely one of the highlights of our 19 day trip in France.
We ate -the- most delicious dinner right in town at the Hostellerie de la Reine Jeanne.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:25 AM

In Arles: The Antiques Museum has ancient artifacts and Roman mosiacs.

Les Alycamps a famous cemetary that may look familiar from paintings by Van Gogh or Gaughin.

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:00 AM

I second ken's recommendation of L'Atelier de Jean Luc Rabanel in Arles. This restaurant alone is worth the trip to Arles. Check out my France Food Photos report and pictures. Phone for a reservation.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Sorry that should have been kevin - sorry kevin I guess I was in a hurry to get to watch football match.